Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
As I understand it, several years ago, airlines used to pay commisions to agencies (percentage of revenue) when they booked flights with them - think domestic and international were different amounts. I believe those commission levels dropped to where they were either close to nothing, or dropped altogether. Before that, it would be an incentive to book with one of the airlines that offered them - id guess they were pretty similar across the carriers.

I believe this is why agencies started charging customers a fee to use them - in the past, the airline commissions would cover their costs, but as these got less and less, Those weren't covering costs. Not sure how Orbitz, etc. does it with no fee (for single-airline itineraries), but perhaps their part of the take on extra activities, the agency charge for changes, etc. gives them enough revenue to forgo these fees.
Thanks for that explanation. That was my understanding as well. So, if true, I think the question of whether there would be fees, or lower fees, on BE fares isn't applicable, as it's likely no fares have those commissions or fees. As Often1 said, there isn't going to be some universal rule that would stop these from showing up in a travel portal, it's really just up to each company.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:41 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by JBord
Thanks for that explanation. That was my understanding as well. So, if true, I think the question of whether there would be fees, or lower fees, on BE fares isn't applicable, as it's likely no fares have those commissions or fees. As Often1 said, there isn't going to be some universal rule that would stop these from showing up in a travel portal, it's really just up to each company.
There are published (public) as well as non published (private) tariffs/fares. Airline individual contracts with ITAs may or may not include the private fares, it's as you said, up to the individual airline and their contracts with the individual ITAs. Think of efares, or negotiated fares with individual companies as examples of fares that are not/have not been sold via all outlets.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by JBord
Or the TA is an employee of the customer (employer), or contracts to issue and handle customer service for a flat fee per ticket or ticket type which the employee does or does not ever see or know exists.

Corporate travel is not always transparent.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:21 am
Suspended

Hey, buy a Basic econ seat, Poach an empty econ+ seat. The FA's who never enforce won't even care.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Hey, buy a Basic econ seat, Poach an empty econ+ seat. The FA's who never enforce won't even care.

oh, it's not the FA's that one needs to worry about...I've seen passengers pretty much monitor and enforce that on their own just fine.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I believe this is why agencies started charging customers a fee to use them - in the past, the airline commissions would cover their costs, but as these got less and less, Those weren't covering costs. Not sure how Orbitz, etc. does it with no fee (for single-airline itineraries), but perhaps their part of the take on extra activities, the agency charge for changes, etc. gives them enough revenue to forgo these fees.
The OTAs make all their money on hotel bookings, which still pay a decent commission. The flight booking is just to get you to book a hotel through them.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Good luck with that one.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Just venting a bit. For business travelers this is totally crap. I am a former AA Exec Plat and I planned my travel for next year with a move to United in Mind. I just booked a United Business Class Asia round trip (worth $9k) with the goal of making 1K by mid year with another couple of business class Asia trips. I also travel domestically on a weekly basis and just booked a trip for mid January. And noticed that one of the segments is not eligible for Mileage earing (even though it is United ticket on united metal).

My work books my tickets and they dont show the fare class while booking. You pick the flights and segments and cabin class (Coach or business) and they issue the cheapest priced fare.

Wish I had known this before booking my Asia R/T which I could have moved to a one world carrier
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cover point
Just venting a bit. For business travelers this is totally crap. I am a former AA Exec Plat and I planned my travel for next year with a move to United in Mind. I just booked a United Business Class Asia round trip (worth $9k) with the goal of making 1K by mid year with another couple of business class Asia trips. I also travel domestically on a weekly basis and just booked a trip for mid January. And noticed that one of the segments is not eligible for Mileage earing (even though it is United ticket on united metal).
This is almost certainly a display error. United is not marketing Basic Economy fares yet, but the mileage accrual, especially for UX and partner flights, is frequently incorrect.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by findark
This is almost certainly a display error. United is not marketing Basic Economy fares yet, but the mileage accrual, especially for UX and partner flights, is frequently incorrect.
ok. Good to know. this is what I see on the reservation

"ORD - XXX
Ineligible to accrue mileage or Premier qualifying credit. "

I just noticed that both my segments are in "S" class. Do you know what I need to do to get this corrected if this is indeed an error?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cover point
ok. Good to know. this is what I see on the reservation

"ORD - XXX
Ineligible to accrue mileage or Premier qualifying credit. "

I just noticed that both my segments are in "S" class. Do you know what I need to do to get this corrected if this is indeed an error?
In almost all cases, the segments will post automatically with the correct mileage. There is a small chance you have an unpublished bulk fare, but if your method of buying tickets usually earns miles, this ticket should too. You don't need to take any action right now - just check your statement the usual 2 days after you fly.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I find it funny how quickly folks attribute to malice what is obviously a misunderstanding or other display error, since UA:

1. Will not sell Basic Economy with interline fares
2. Is not selling them until next year
3. And clearly will use the N bucket.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by nmenaker
oh, it's not the FA's that one needs to worry about...I've seen passengers pretty much monitor and enforce that on their own just fine.
^^^
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
... 3. And clearly will use the N bucket.
While that is clearly a reasonable assumption, none of us know that to be a fact.

As for the the other items, I didn't find most travelers are following things as some on FTer. The mass media certainty has not provide the needed details.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
I find it funny how quickly folks attribute to malice what is obviously a misunderstanding or other display error, since UA:

1. Will not sell Basic Economy with interline fares
2. Is not selling them until next year
3. And clearly will use the N bucket.
My flight was for January and thus was curious. No malice implied or suggested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.