Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
And if they really are out to generate extra revenue, they ought to allow pax to buy up, especially if within 24 hours.
I think UA's strategy is to try to convince businesses not to purchase BE, rather than to allow individual employees to cough up the co-pay. Unfortunately, some people clearly get stuck in the middle.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Load factors are quite high. No reason to lower fares if the planes are full. Will be interesting to see what happens when the demand/capacity equation shifts and there is an excess in supply. BE gives them a way to lower fares to fill unsold seats with less poaching of the higher-fare sales.
Which is exactly why I said this is a simple fare increase. United knows it can't compete with the LCC's on most routes, so why not screw everybody at once. The N fare is exactly the same as the previous lowest Y fare when there was no BE.
The result has been that those who have suffered most are not in fact regular passengers who don't benefit that much by buying up, but those with status. UA has basically implemented a $20-50 rt elite tax on all domestic routes.

Last edited by zeer0; Jul 29, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by zeer0
UA has basically implemented a $20-40 elite tax on all domestic routes.
What's the largest difference from BE to the lowest available Y fare-class anyone has seen OW when both BE and Y are offered (to be honest I'm not looking) - I've heard it's $25 on PS. Sorry if this has already been discussed.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ermintrude
What's the largest difference from BE to the lowest available Y fare-class anyone has seen OW when both BE and Y are offered (to be honest I'm not looking) - I've heard it's $25 on PS. Sorry if this has already been discussed.
$45 SAN-SFO-EWR. The fare breaks at SFO so you basically pay the BE tax twice ($20 SAN-SFO-EWR and $25 EWR-SFO). $232 v $277.

Non-stop BE tax SAN-EWR is $25.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ermintrude
On a search last night, saw a $100 BE fare on CVG-SFO for early Dec where the lowest regular was $225 (forget what fare class that was). I'm pretty sure that was an error, and sure enough, searching the same thing tonight yields the same BE fare, but a $125 BE fare.

IME, going rate for Tcon domestic flights appears to top out at $25.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
On a search last night, saw a $100 BE fare on CVG-SFO for early Dec where the lowest regular was $225 (forget what fare class that was). I'm pretty sure that was an error, and sure enough, searching the same thing tonight yields the same BE fare, but a $125 BE fare.

IME, going rate for Tcon domestic flights appears to top out at $25.
Someone posted an example a few days ago where there was a SEA-ORD RT BE fare listed of $680 with no corresponding regular economy fare. When I used ITA to price regular economy, it came back as $880. However, it appeared to be a mistake -- it was a broken fare and one or the other of the fare components had an error in the combination rules. I don't recall exactly how the fare broke down, but the effective upcharge would have been $100 each way. (The mistake didn't occur if the flight was priced as a one-way).

It looks like they're still struggling to get this to behave correctly, but I agree that $25 is the most I've seen recently for flights that don't appear to be obvious errors. (When they first launched nationwide, I feel like I remember some higher fare differences, but I may be mistaken).

Also -- keep in mind that if you book a round-trip and select BE on the outbound, it will still show you regular economy on the return, but the fare difference will be twice as high. That's because it'll actually convert the outbound to regular economy as well if you were to select it; you cannot book BE and non-BE on the same itinerary. So, I'm sure you'll see some reports of larger fares that will work out to be due to this.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've seen $60 or so before, the result of an N fare that doesn't have a match. But those were also likely mistakes.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by skylane
$45 SAN-SFO-EWR. The fare breaks at SFO so you basically pay the BE tax twice ($20 SAN-SFO-EWR and $25 EWR-SFO). $232 v $277.
Non-stop BE tax SAN-EWR is $25.
That's somewhat interesting. The BE fare differences to economy on a couple of dates I looked at on SAN-EWR were $7-$45.....$45 through SFO as you say but I also saw $40 through ORD - I didn't spend long.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
And just to be clear, I'm not saying UA actually has a stricter IRROPS rebooking policy for BE fares, just that I wouldn't be surprised if they do (and that it would be permitted under the CoC).
Does anyone know for sure? I was told by a CSR that they rebook you and you have no option to change - you take what you get - but I suspect she misunderstood and the policy is really once you accept a change, you can't change it again.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by segiddins
For me, the single biggest issue is that, unlike a LCC, I can't buy out of the BE limitations. A lot of my flights are booked for me and I'd be happy to pay the surcharge, but I wouldn't be given the option.
The surcharge would likely be equal to or greater than the price difference between BE and the next lowest fare so why not just buy the next lowest fare? And if they allowed buy-ups I could see people playing roulette to see what seat they got and then buying up last minute for a better seat. Or if they ended up with a carry-on that was too big they would also buy-up. That would just create more work and hassle prior to departure for United and kind of defeat the benefit (expedited boarding) of not allowing large carry-ons at all for BE tickets.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nycityny
The surcharge would likely be equal to or greater than the price difference between BE and the next lowest fare so why not just buy the next lowest fare? And if they allowed buy-ups I could see people playing roulette to see what seat they got and then buying up last minute for a better seat. Or if they ended up with a carry-on that was too big they would also buy-up. That would just create more work and hassle prior to departure for United and kind of defeat the benefit (expedited boarding) of not allowing large carry-ons at all for BE tickets.

I'd be happy to pay the fare difference within 24H, but UA doesn't give us that option.

why not just buy the next lowest fare
because it's other people buying tickets for me
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:17 pm

because it's other people buying tickets for me
Oh. I wish I had that problem.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Originally Posted by jsloan
It looks like they're still struggling to get this to behave correctly
Originally Posted by findark
But those were also likely mistakes.
I'm seeing errors in the BE pricing almost every time I run a search.

Originally Posted by nycityny
Oh. I wish I had that problem.
Not me. I hate it when clients insist on purchasing my tickets.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Ditto. I have one charity client and based on support from UA they *have* to book my travel (we're donating 100% of the services value, they're responsible for travel and expenses) and they always come up with itineraries that are not what I'd book... like an uber early nonstop when I'd prefer to sleep in a bit an take a stop, an "easier" airport rather than the airport closest to where I actually need to be)

Even for normal travel I *could* have an admin book the tickets but I'm picky/enough of a control freak that I'd much rather just do it myself.

I'd be happy to pay the fare difference within 24H, but UA doesn't give us that option.
Because UA doesn't want to encourage BE fares by anyone who may ever want any kind of flexibility. BE is targeted at the price-sensitive leisure travelers; if they were to start to allow any changes at all it starts to turn into a slippery slope and eroding revenue from those less-sensitive buyers buying into higher fare classes.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:53 pm

Alas, nobody purchases my tickets but me and nobody pays for my tickets but me. I guess when someone else is paying there might be strings attached.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.