Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by fly18725
Of course, this scenario is predicated on "analysis" of a handful of SFO-originating routes where United's fares are higher.
As someone who flies SFO-SEA at least 2-3 x month, I can say that for at least the last year, UA is often the low price leader.

But on the broader point, if United was not doing what everyone with examples, on multiple city pairs has shown they are doing - matching a BE to a competitors Y when the flights get close in, and demanding a "elite surcharge" of $30 +/- to get elite benifits - well someone would have posted a counter example. You don't have a counter example, but are welcome to believe United is doing something all of the actual evidence shows they are not doing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 10, 2017 at 4:21 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old May 10, 2017, 4:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I am sorry that your travel policy is so crappy that a small pricing differential requires you to buy a BE fare. Airlines would prefer to retain corporate customers that will pay $10-20 more for a better schedule and experience.
$60 bucks on top of a RT BE ticket that is $425 is not a "small pricing differential." I'm not being required to buy a BE fare. It is actually the opposite - I am not allowed to. Thus, AA is the remaining choice.

My travel policy is actually fairly lenient. We can take a non-stop even if it is significantly more than a 1-stop - there is no cost limit. Business if >2700mi, PE if >5h. This is not a "crappy" travel policy; in fact, I think it is a fairly good one.

But UA is still pricing itself out of it.

Last edited by GoSh4rks; May 10, 2017 at 4:32 pm
Old May 10, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
First timer questions about Basic Economy:
I am a Premier Platinum with United.
My questions:
1. Will I be paying for the checked luggage? If yes, how much?
2. I can't carry any carry-on luggage and/or laptop bag?
3. What will be my boarding group?
Old May 10, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kay_jay
First timer questions about Basic Economy:
I am a Premier Platinum with United.
My questions:
1. Will I be paying for the checked luggage? If yes, how much?
2. I can't carry any carry-on luggage and/or laptop bag?
3. What will be my boarding group?
1 - No change (3 bags at 70 lbs for free)
2 - Incorrect; as a platinum, you may still bring a carry-on plus a personal item (i.e., laptop bag). If you did not have status, you would not be allowed the carry-on, but the personal item would still be OK.
3 - You'll board in group 1.

The major changes for you would be:

1 - No E+ (in fact, no advance seat assignment of any kind)
2 - No possibility for a CPU
3 - No PQM / PQD accrual
Old May 10, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
1 - No change (3 bags at 70 lbs for free)
2 - Incorrect; as a platinum, you may still bring a carry-on plus a personal item (i.e., laptop bag). If you did not have status, you would not be allowed the carry-on, but the personal item would still be OK.
3 - You'll board in group 1.

The major changes for you would be:

1 - No E+ (in fact, no advance seat assignment of any kind)
2 - No possibility for a CPU
3 - No PQM / PQD accrual
Thanks.
Can I use electronic certificate if flying in basic economy?
Am I entitled to book economy plus seats?
If flying with family (3 people) can they also get access to economy plus seats?
Old May 10, 2017, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
If flying with family (3 people) can they also get access to economy plus seats?
I believe electronic travel certificates can be used on any paid fare, but I don't know if that's been confirmed specifically. Any restrictions should appear in the terms and conditions of the certificate.

No economy plus seats for you or the family on a BE fare.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks.
Yes, you can use an ETC.
No, you can not book E+ (as previously mentioned) - and you will not get a seat in E- in advnace.
No, no one will be sitting in E+ on a BE fare (save for operational needs (i.e. E- overbooked and only seats remaining are E+).

Originally Posted by 1353513636
There's a pretty big difference from what SQ/TG and UA did with regard to mileage accrual. SQ/TG basically have a super cheap fare that earns no miles, and you can pay $100-$200 to upgrade to a fare with more flexibility and 100% mileage (in their own programs). UA gives 5 miles per dollar spent, so paying the premium to upgrade out of BE doesn't earn significantly more RDMs, and with EQMs you still have to make PQD. Also, SQ/TG don't restrict elite benefits on the lowest fares.
Sorry...not really. TG/SQ reduced mileage accural to 50% in their own programs (0 in others), have different change policies (either no changes, or higher fees), etc. RDM is the same in BE and regular, yes, but PQM is different (BE gets 0, regular gets flight distance (500 mile min. for elites) - just like SQ/TG (where the difference is 50% to 100%). Change policies on UA get upgraded if you don't do BE - no changes, compared to changes for a fee (just like SQ and TG - different policies on lower vs. higher fares).

Each carrier is doing things a little differently, of course. But let's be clear....it's a different road down the same path.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I believe electronic travel certificates can be used on any paid fare, but I don't know if that's been confirmed specifically. Any restrictions should appear in the terms and conditions of the certificate.

No economy plus seats for you or the family on a BE fare.
Thanks a bunch. This really helps.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
$60 bucks on top of a RT BE ticket that is $425 is not a "small pricing differential." I'm not being required to buy a BE fare. It is actually the opposite - I am not allowed to. Thus, AA is the remaining choice.

My travel policy is actually fairly lenient. We can take a non-stop even if it is significantly more than a 1-stop - there is no cost limit. Business if >2700mi, PE if >5h. This is not a "crappy" travel policy; in fact, I think it is a fairly good one.

But UA is still pricing itself out of it.
I've never worked at a company where a $60 pricing differential mattered. Most managers would also understand the benefit of paying that amount more to fly on an airline where you have elite benefits as that can ultimately be cheaper if you're checking bags.

It remains to be seen if seeking a small pricing premium for non-BE fares in some markets will work. So far, the strategy appears to be sticking which would indicate there are not negative trends in the advance purchase numbers.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM
How to search and exclude basic economy fares

Now that UA has introduced their basic economy fares, which don't earn PQM or PQD, is there an efficient way to search for fares that are not BE? I've looked on Google flights, and the search results include the BE fares, so I am falsely led to a fare that is low, but is BE.
Does anybody have any search strategies to look for fares that will accrue PQM and PQD, without bringing up the BE fares?
Old May 11, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Until the 3rd party search engines (google, kayak, etc) update their algorithms to mention basic economy fares, best bet is go to united.com and ignore the Basic Economy fares column. Also, go to advanced search page and in fare codes box enter every code except basic economy (N).
Old May 11, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Austin787
Until the 3rd party search engines (google, kayak, etc) update their algorithms to mention basic economy fares, best bet is go to united.com and ignore the Basic Economy fares column. Also, go to advanced search page and in fare codes box enter every code except basic economy (N).
good strategy if you want to pay MORE to get the same Y service (ok, a little worse) that you can get for $30 +/- LESS on DL/VX/AS/AA.

Hey if you want to stick with an airline that will charge you more on every single flight to use your status, you are welcome to it.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've never worked at a company where a $60 pricing differential mattered. Most managers would also understand the benefit of paying that amount more to fly on an airline where you have elite benefits as that can ultimately be cheaper if you're checking bags.
+1. Even my worst job from a travel policy standpoint allowed something like +/-$100 each way from "least cost logical fare". BE is $25 each way at its worst, as currently implemented.

Originally Posted by Austin787
The United site makes it easy to ignore BE. If you need a multiple airline search the best I've managed is ITA with e.g.

SFO :: / f !bc=n&!bc=e :: MSP

but you now have the issue that this screens out E fares on United.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by findark
+1. Even my worst job from a travel policy standpoint allowed something like +/-$100 each way from "least cost logical fare". BE is $25 each way at its worst, as currently implemented.

The United site makes it easy to ignore BE. If you need a multiple airline search the best I've managed is ITA with e.g.

SFO :: / f !bc=n&!bc=e :: MSP

but you now have the issue that this screens out E fares on United.
I think google flights will now show ( or hide) BE fares based on route
Old May 11, 2017, 2:08 pm

I was looking for some cheap vacation flights this afternoon and came across an interesting data point that I don't know if anybody has seen yet. For a June 21 one way LAS-ORD the BE fare is $44, with the buy-up to Y for $40.

$44 is still $20 less than Spirit and $84 is way less than anyone else so still a great deal, but I have seen several times here that the largest price difference will be $25 one way so I wonder if the difference is already starting to get larger...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.