Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GPU Upgrades for aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single Global Premier Upgrade request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris® business class cabin.
  • If you’d like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin without requiring an additional Global Premier Upgrade.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using one Global Premier Upgrade.
  • United Polaris business class upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
  • There will be no fare class restriction, other than for Basic Economy and Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) tickets, for members who have purchased a United Economy seat and request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat, and no fare class restriction for members who have purchased a United® Premium Plus seat and request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • Members requesting to move to a United® Premium Plus seat only and who have domestic portions of their itinerary will not be automatically waitlisted for United First. To be waitlisted for United First on domestic portions of an international itinerary, use your Global Premier Upgrade to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
Mileage Upgrades For aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • System-wide, all MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single MileagePlus Upgrade Award request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you'd like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or for an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you requested an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, and we moved you to a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll refund the difference in co-pay and miles after departure.
  • Members requesting a MileagePlus Upgrade Award to a United® Premium Plus seat only will not be waitlisted for United First on portions of their itinerary that do not contain United® Premium Plus.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award.
  • United Polaris business class cabin upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
Print Wikipost

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
UA 867 (May 31) upgrade lists

I am puzzled by the PP and Polaris upgrade standby lists for UA867 of May 31.
PP list: PIE, C cleared to 20 A and #1 is TRA, K.
These same two persons lead the Polaris list.
I can assume that both purchased W fares and applied GPUs for two-step upgrades. If someone purchased PP fare and applied a GPU for Polaris upgrade, this person should be ahead of PIE and TRA. It appeared that there is no such person in the nearly full PP cabin.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:02 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I am puzzled by the PP and Polaris upgrade standby lists for UA867 of May 31.
PP list: PIE, C cleared to 20 A and #1 is TRA, K.
These same two persons lead the Polaris list.
I can assume that both purchased W fares and applied GPUs for two-step upgrades. If someone purchased PP fare and applied a GPU for Polaris upgrade, this person should be ahead of PIE and TRA. It appeared that there is no such person in the nearly full PP cabin.
They could have cleared before the 24hrs and not show up on the list. I've purchased a couple of PP fares with GPU and cleared a couple of days before the flight and I was not listed on the upgrade screen.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
It's likely that the two people at the top of the list are on P+ R fares with instruments applied. Those people have erroneously been showing as "cleared" from day 1, as UA has yet to go back into their upgrade display system and mark "R" as a regular inventory class instead of an upgrade class.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:57 pm

Looking at the upgrade list tomorrow 4 people upgraded to PP and the same people are the top 4 on the Polaris upgrade list.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks
Looking at the upgrade list tomorrow 4 people upgraded to PP and the same people are the top 4 on the Polaris upgrade list.
Again, it's far more likely that nobody has been upgraded to P+; those are simply four passengers who purchased R fares and applied upgrade instruments.
cesco.g likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Again, it's far more likely that nobody has been upgraded to P+; those are simply four passengers who purchased R fares and applied upgrade instruments.
got it. Didn’t know that was what was happening because those seats that they were upgraded to in PP were not available when I bought my R class.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's likely that the two people at the top of the list are on P+ R fares with instruments applied. Those people have erroneously been showing as "cleared" from day 1, as UA has yet to go back into their upgrade display system and mark "R" as a regular inventory class instead of an upgrade class.
Oh this must be why MPSC thinks I used a GPU when i did not. R class. I did get it returned after the second email. Part of the upgrade IT issues.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Part of the upgrade IT issues.
Maybe related, yet to be resolved ...... ?

"Updates To Our Upgrade System"
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hi, I'm still a little confused on how this works for a GS on purchasing a international saver award (30k miles) flight into economy, and using a GPU to upgrade. PP upgrade can be confirmed now, but Polaris is waitlist. If I am willing to burn a GPU for PP, can I confirm that now and remain on the waitlist for polaris? GS agent says no...but should I HUCA?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by petesamprs
Hi, I'm still a little confused on how this works for a GS on purchasing a international saver award (30k miles) flight into economy, and using a GPU to upgrade. PP upgrade can be confirmed now, but Polaris is waitlist. If I am willing to burn a GPU for PP, can I confirm that now and remain on the waitlist for polaris? GS agent says no...but should I HUCA?
Yes, you can confirm PP and wait list for J. However, the GPU is considered used even if you don't get the J upgrade.

You can do this online and it will ask what you want to do.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ryman554
Yes, you can confirm PP and wait list for J. However, the GPU is considered used even if you don't get the J upgrade.

You can do this online and it will ask what you want to do.
Not for an award ticket, GS agents will need to do that.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.5mm NZ Elite IHG
GPU Value

I am currently making a booking AKL--SFO--LHR W class fare with a GPU. I asked to waitlist for PE.I am told that if my upgrade to PE is successful I will no longer be on the Polaris waitlist..I will then need another GPU to go back on the Polaris waitlist..So in effect the value of a GPU has now halved. Is this correct?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No. If your upgrade to PE clears, you'll remain on the Polaris upgrade list using the same GPU.

The AKL-SFO part of that has been a trivial upgrade in recent weeks - I've flown it 3 times in the past month and every time there's been 15+ seats in business went to non-upgrade standby passengers (ie, NRSA's), and on one flight PE went out with 2 people in it (and on the other, at most about half full).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by docbert
The AKL-SFO part of that has been a trivial upgrade in recent weeks - I've flown it 3 times in the past month and every time there's been 15+ seats in business went to non-upgrade standby passengers (ie, NRSA's), and on one flight PE went out with 2 people in it (and on the other, at most about half full).
Yeah, southern winter just doesn't drive that much demand to AKL. I've heard speculation that the UA flight is mostly about cargo, since they don't really seem to fill a 772 with pax.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Platinum, LH FTl, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by docbert
No. If your upgrade to PE clears, you'll remain on the Polaris upgrade list using the same GPU.

I'm flying SFO-AKL next February in PE, any idea about the utilization during the NZL summer ? Unfortunately, I haven't reached my 1K milestone yet, so no GPU to apply yet. anyway, PZ=0 seems to be the usual pattern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.