Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GPU Upgrades for aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single Global Premier Upgrade request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris® business class cabin.
  • If you’d like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin without requiring an additional Global Premier Upgrade.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using one Global Premier Upgrade.
  • United Polaris business class upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
  • There will be no fare class restriction, other than for Basic Economy and Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) tickets, for members who have purchased a United Economy seat and request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat, and no fare class restriction for members who have purchased a United® Premium Plus seat and request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • Members requesting to move to a United® Premium Plus seat only and who have domestic portions of their itinerary will not be automatically waitlisted for United First. To be waitlisted for United First on domestic portions of an international itinerary, use your Global Premier Upgrade to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
Mileage Upgrades For aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • System-wide, all MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single MileagePlus Upgrade Award request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you'd like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or for an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you requested an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, and we moved you to a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll refund the difference in co-pay and miles after departure.
  • Members requesting a MileagePlus Upgrade Award to a United® Premium Plus seat only will not be waitlisted for United First on portions of their itinerary that do not contain United® Premium Plus.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award.
  • United Polaris business class cabin upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
Print Wikipost

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uela
What can I (silver tier) do to get upgraded from a paid fare R on an international 777-300ER Economy Premium Plus to the Polaris?
I do not see an option to even request a complementary upgrade, and the only two options that are available to me are with cash or miles+cash, both are no bargain to say the least.
Those are your only two options unless UA offers a cheaper buy-up at check-in. Keep checking the price. It fluctuates.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by uela
What can I (silver tier) do to get upgraded from a paid fare R on an international 777-300ER Economy Premium Plus to the Polaris?
I do not see an option to even request a complementary upgrade, and the only two options that are available to me are with cash or miles+cash, both are no bargain to say the least.
Because cash or miles+cash are the only options available to you.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA, just like DL and AA, does not give freebie UG's on international flights (with some limited exceptions, apparently not including your flights.)

Either you support your upgrade with cash, miles, or a certificate or the flight is overbooked and at risk of oversale and UA upgrades you for its own operational convenience (very, very, very unlikely for a Silver).

UA charges what experience tells it some passengers will likely pay. Bargains are in the eye of the beholder.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A co-worker did the Mileage + Copay upgrade for TPAC and there were some oddities...

A - the outbound was charged a single $600 co-pay but the return was charged $300 + $300?
B - the mileage was not deducted for some reason and UA could not figure out why

He confirmed into PP on the outbound immediately (there was RN available) and PNR shows WL for Polaris. The return WL segments (for PP and Polaris) are all there.

Questions:

1 - any idea why A above happened? 2 segments each way, connecting at SFO, Outbound was K and return was L
2 - do tickets get re-issued for upgrades?
3 - he is concerned the PP -> Polaris upgrade will skip him because something might be wrong (i.e. no mileage has been deducted). UA cannot figure out why. Should he be worried? How can it be figured out/fixed?

Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by username
... 2 - do tickets get re-issued for upgrades?
No
Originally Posted by username
3 - he is concerned the PP -> Polaris upgrade will skip him because something might be wrong (i.e. no mileage has been deducted). UA cannot figure out why. Should he be worried? How can it be figured out/fixed?
It generally gets noticed, eventually
Miles and/or CoPay not deducted on award booking/ upgrade
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
AKL - SFO I have a PP (fare bucket O) and am waitlisted for Polaris using miles (no status). Unfortunately, United just did an equipment swap and the 14 empty Polaris seats just went away, now there are only 6 with 90 days to go until flight. Is there anyway to tell where I am on the wait list this far out or is it only 5 days prior to departure? I'm thinking of swaping flights if I have zero chance (and I suspect that is the case)
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woodburyhome
AKL - SFO I have a PP (fare bucket O) and am waitlisted for Polaris using miles (no status). Unfortunately, United just did an equipment swap and the 14 empty Polaris seats just went away, now there are only 6 with 90 days to go until flight. Is there anyway to tell where I am on the wait list this far out or is it only 5 days prior to departure? I'm thinking of swaping flights if I have zero chance (and I suspect that is the case)
There's no realistic way to tell where you are on the waitlist until just prior to departure.

You have zero chance, but I wouldn't change unless I saw open PZ space on a different routing. Otherwise, you're just wasting a change fee.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Even 46/60 on a 77W at 90 days you would still have no chance. Agree with jsloan though that a change is good money after bad unless you can find PZ space.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
Thanks, I have a good fare $1,600 so I may suck it up. But for another 1k, I can take Latam Biz to AUS layover 3 hrs then United (fake) Polaris home.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Does the GS in Y trumps ticketed in PP still hold true? As per the latest priority order update, UA's language has been updated for flights with PP. Right in front of the priority order, the first line (Status) has a foot note that reads "PP ticketed passengers will be higher priority over those in E".

I have UA 48 (EWR-BOM) coming up in 15 days with ticketed in R class and waitlisted for Polaris using my GPU. This language ambiguity is what worries me:

Waitlist priority for all flights

• Premier upgrades (Regional Premier Upgrades, Global Premier Upgrades or PlusPoints) and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards
  • Premier status of the traveler*
  • Fare class
  • Chase United MileagePlus Club cardholders and Presidential Plus cardholders
  • United Chase Cardmembers with $25,000 in annual spending
  • Date and time of request

*On flights equipped with United Premium Plus, we will process requests to upgrade to business class for customers ticketed in United Premium Plus (fare classes O, A, R) before processing requests for customers ticketed in economy.

So will GS in Y still trump a lowly 1K in PP?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
So will GS in Y still trump a lowly 1K in PP?
Prior to departure, absolutely -- the GS GPU is waitlisted for PN, whereas yours is waitlisted for PZ. Furthermore, at T-72, if there are sufficient seats remaining, a GS can call and force the upgrade through.

At the gate, the wording suggests that a 1K in P+ would be ahead of a GS in Y, but I don't know if we actually have any proof of that. I'm somewhat skeptical.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Prior to departure, absolutely -- the GS GPU is waitlisted for PN, whereas yours is waitlisted for PZ. Furthermore, at T-72, if there are sufficient seats remaining, a GS can call and force the upgrade through.

At the gate, the wording suggests that a 1K in P+ would be ahead of a GS in Y, but I don't know if we actually have any proof of that. I'm somewhat skeptical.

That's what I was afraid of. Guess will keep my fingers crossed! Thank you.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Hi guys, I have a question about applying a GPU to my itinerary. So I just wanted to see the general upgrade price, co-pay, all that good stuff. I was going to originally book myself into premium economy. It says there is no upgrade eligible fare from premium economy to Polaris. But that's just what it says here. This doesn't mean that a GPU can't be applied here right? I figure that restriction here is only because the LAX-EWR flight doesn't have a formal Premium plus cabin. But a GPU should still be able to be applied without any issues right? Just wanted to ensure this before having my relative apply a GPU to my flight. I understand that if an upgrade isn't available then I'll be waitlisted which is fine but just wanted to ensure. Thanks! Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Hi guys, I have a question about applying a GPU to my itinerary. So I just wanted to see the general upgrade price, co-pay, all that good stuff. I was going to originally book myself into premium economy. It says there is no upgrade eligible fare from premium economy to Polaris. But that's just what it says here. This doesn't mean that a GPU can't be applied here right? I figure that restriction here is only because the LAX-EWR flight doesn't have a formal Premium plus cabin. But a GPU should still be able to be applied without any issues right? Just wanted to ensure this before having my relative apply a GPU to my flight. I understand that if an upgrade isn't available then I'll be waitlisted which is fine but just wanted to ensure. Thanks! Thanks in advance!
All United-operated flights booked into Premium Economy are eligible for upgrade with a GPU. You may safely ignore the fact that it doesn't say that it's upgrade-eligible.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Sounds good, Thanks! I wish they'd give Gold members 1 or 2 GPUs like once ever 3-4 years of remaining gold but i guess can't have everything right? Thanks anyways!

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
That's what I was afraid of. Guess will keep my fingers crossed! Thank you.
Let me know how your upgrade goes! Will be flying in Jan. First time trying a GPU on this route. Anytime I fly this route, there's too many 1Ks/Plats to even be in the upgrade list for Polaris.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 24, 2019 at 3:23 am Reason: m

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.