Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GPU Upgrades for aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single Global Premier Upgrade request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris® business class cabin.
  • If you’d like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin without requiring an additional Global Premier Upgrade.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using one Global Premier Upgrade.
  • United Polaris business class upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
  • There will be no fare class restriction, other than for Basic Economy and Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) tickets, for members who have purchased a United Economy seat and request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat, and no fare class restriction for members who have purchased a United® Premium Plus seat and request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • Members requesting to move to a United® Premium Plus seat only and who have domestic portions of their itinerary will not be automatically waitlisted for United First. To be waitlisted for United First on domestic portions of an international itinerary, use your Global Premier Upgrade to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
Mileage Upgrades For aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • System-wide, all MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single MileagePlus Upgrade Award request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you'd like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or for an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you requested an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, and we moved you to a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll refund the difference in co-pay and miles after departure.
  • Members requesting a MileagePlus Upgrade Award to a United® Premium Plus seat only will not be waitlisted for United First on portions of their itinerary that do not contain United® Premium Plus.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award.
  • United Polaris business class cabin upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
Print Wikipost

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The same person appearing as #1 on Polaris list is #3 on the PP list. Can someone make a sense out of these two lists? My name is on neither list because UA has not fixed “upgrade —skipped” display error yet.
Thanks.
I mean, the lists mostly appear to be garbage.

That said, I can offer three hypotheses:

1 - It's a known issue that people who have paid for Premium Plus sometimes show up in the upgrade list for Premium Plus.
2 - It might not be the same person
3 - #1 and #2 on the PP list have higher priority than the person in question, but only waitlisted for P+.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The same person appearing as #1 on Polaris list is #3 on the PP list. Can someone make a sense out of these two lists? My name is on neither list because UA has not fixed “upgrade —skipped” display error yet.
Thanks.
Good chance the #1 and #2 on the PP list are paid PP fares (such as an O fare) and are not waitlisted for Polaris -- the PP list is messed up and inaccurate for many flights.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
I mean, the lists mostly appear to be garbage.

That said, I can offer three hypotheses:

1 - It's a known issue that people who have paid for Premium Plus sometimes show up in the upgrade list for Premium Plus.
2 - It might not be the same person
3 - #1 and #2 on the PP list have higher priority than the person in question, but only waitlisted for P+.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Good chance the #1 and #2 on the PP list are paid PP fares (such as an O fare) and are not waitlisted for Polaris -- the PP list is messed up and inaccurate for many flights.
Sorry that I forgot to attach the lists yesterday.
#2 on Polaris standby list purchased R fare (I paid). Let us assume that #1 on Polaris list had Premium Plus upgrade cleared (appeared on both lists), it is not possible that he/she jumps ahead of #2 if the same person appears on both lists. It is likely that two different persons with the same last name and initial are involved because "Huang" is a very popular last name. I could ask for 1K agent next time.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA MM
Sorry that I forgot to attach the lists yesterday.
#2 on Polaris standby list purchased R fare (I paid). Let us assume that #1 on Polaris list had Premium Plus upgrade cleared (appeared on both lists), it is not possible that he/she jumps ahead of #2 if the same person appears on both lists. It is likely that two different persons with the same last name and initial are involved because "Huang" is a very popular last name. I could ask for 1K agent next time.
I think it’s been noted several times that some passengers who purchased a PP seat are erroneously showing up on the PP upgrade list.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:30 pm

how does one see the flight status and upgrade list for a flight that doesn't depart for another 2 weeks?

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
how does one see the flight status and upgrade list for a flight that doesn't depart for another 2 weeks?

Thanks!
Change the date of the device you are using to view the upgrade standby list to a day before the flight. Discussion of this technique in recent posts of New Future Flight Status Tool (presently non-operative)
and Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:00 am

Change the date of the device you are using to view the upgrade standby list to a day before the flight. Discussion of this technique in recent posts of New Future Flight Status Tool (presently non-operative)
and Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??
Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX MPC SL, HHonors Diamond
Polaris on waitlist, confirm Premium Plus on PlusPoint Upgrade

Trying to book a flight and seems like Premium Plus is available for upgrade, but PZ is not available. The UA website says during flight search that Polaris can be waitlisted upgrade. Is there any way to confirm and continue to waitlist the J upgrade - do I need to call in or something?

Also wondering if the skip waitlist option is available yet.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 8, 2020 at 6:20 pm Reason: Moved to consodidated thread
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by tdlim
Trying to book a flight and seems like Premium Plus is available for upgrade, but PZ is not available. The UA website says during flight search that Polaris can be waitlisted upgrade. Is there any way to confirm and continue to waitlist the J upgrade - do I need to call in or something? ...
Yes, you can and can be done online
See the thread's wiki for more.

Originally Posted by tdlim
Also wondering if the skip waitlist option is available yet.
Starting 1 Feb 2020 to a few deep South American routes
Skip the waitlist (STW) questions
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: Chase, United
Buy Prem Eco, miles upgrade businness

Hi. I'm a bit of a newbie to this, and only just tried the UA M+ tool that lets you price economy tickets while also showing availability and cost of an upgrade to premium eco, or to business. But is there a way to pay more in $ for premium economy, and use few miles and fees to upgrade to business?

(The idea is that work pays for up to premium economy, and I'd use personal miles to bump up.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 9, 2020 at 2:35 pm Reason: Moved to consolidated thread
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Yes but its not always a great value

booking R to Europe and waitlisting for Polaris on a recently flight required 20k points + $450. Not a great value. Same number of points as a cheapo fare but a slightly lower copay.

booking R from EWR-LAX and waitlisting for biz was 15k points with no copay. A much better value IMO than 20k and $250 copay from most economy fares. (It’s also a nice sweet spot for plus points...only requiring 10 points).
zoechow likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80
Yes but its not always a great value

booking R to Europe and waitlisting for Polaris on a recently flight required 20k points + $450. Not a great value. Same number of points as a cheapo fare but a slightly lower copay.

booking R from EWR-LAX and waitlisting for biz was 15k points with no copay. A much better value IMO than 20k and $250 copay from most economy fares. (It’s also a nice sweet spot for plus points...only requiring 10 points).
Ok, I finally found how to find this option, and the sweet spot is what I want. I have read UA's explanation of waitlist (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s/upgrade.html) but I am left with questions:

1. Is there any sense of *when* a mileage plus waitlist upgrade might get upgraded? Is it *only* at like t-24? Or might it clear days, weeks, or months in advance? [I am shopping for December, far out]
2. Am I charged the upgrade miles now, when I buy the ticket, and then later refunded if the upgrade doesn't clear?

thanks in advance
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zoechow
1. Is there any sense of *when* a mileage plus waitlist upgrade might get upgraded? Is it *only* at like t-24? Or might it clear days, weeks, or months in advance? [I am shopping for December, far out]
It can clear at any time, including after you've already boarded.

2. Am I charged the upgrade miles now, when I buy the ticket, and then later refunded if the upgrade doesn't clear?
Yes.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
It can clear at any time, including after you've already boarded.
Thanks. And, my apologies if this is too much a newbie question, is there any way to guess the odds of actually upgrading, say if I buy and waitlist right now for a LAX <-> EWR flight in mid December on a 78J? (I have no status except having one of the UA credit cards.) Again, I apologize if this is too green a question for this more advanced forum; I'm also happy to take basic reading referrals, although I feel like I've read what I can find here and elsewhere.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. And, my apologies if this is too much a newbie question, is there any way to guess the odds of actually upgrading, say if I buy and waitlist right now for a LAX <-> EWR flight in mid December on a 78J? (I have no status except having one of the UA credit cards.) Again, I apologize if this is too green a question for this more advanced forum; I'm also happy to take basic reading referrals, although I feel like I've read what I can find here and elsewhere.
There’s no need to apologize. There’s an Upgrade Chances thread for this kind of question, but the simple answer is:

1 - time and day of week are critical for estimating upgrade chances. Midweek is much easier than the weekends, or common business travel times (e.g., first or last flights Monday, Thursday, or Friday)
2 - the transcontinental routes are extremely difficult to clear in general
3 - there’s little / no reason to shop now for December, particularly if you’re hoping to upgrade. UA generally won’t offer its best price up front; and, by waiting, you can monitor to see what flight inventory does. Activate Expert Mode in your United.com profile (even if you don’t feel like an expert yet — this is how you’ll get there ). Upgrades clear into PZ space, so if you see a flight with PZ on it, you can upgrade into it immediately. If not, you want the numbers to “approach” PZ as much as possible. J9 JN9 C0 — that’s bad; UA thinks they can sell really expensive tickets. J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN3 PZ0 — that’s good; UA is already willing to offer some upgrades (PN is upgrade space for Global Services members), so maybe they’ll open PZ space next.

Hope this helps.
zoechow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.