Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GPU Upgrades for aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single Global Premier Upgrade request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris® business class cabin.
  • If you’d like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin without requiring an additional Global Premier Upgrade.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using one Global Premier Upgrade.
  • United Polaris business class upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
  • There will be no fare class restriction, other than for Basic Economy and Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) tickets, for members who have purchased a United Economy seat and request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat, and no fare class restriction for members who have purchased a United® Premium Plus seat and request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • Members requesting to move to a United® Premium Plus seat only and who have domestic portions of their itinerary will not be automatically waitlisted for United First. To be waitlisted for United First on domestic portions of an international itinerary, use your Global Premier Upgrade to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
Mileage Upgrades For aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • System-wide, all MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single MileagePlus Upgrade Award request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you'd like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or for an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you requested an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, and we moved you to a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll refund the difference in co-pay and miles after departure.
  • Members requesting a MileagePlus Upgrade Award to a United® Premium Plus seat only will not be waitlisted for United First on portions of their itinerary that do not contain United® Premium Plus.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award.
  • United Polaris business class cabin upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
Print Wikipost

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Actually, I was booked into A.
Interesting. Almost certainly still a bug, but less clear why..
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Interesting. Almost certainly still a bug, but less clear why..
Reporting from the field that I also have shown up as "cleared" into Premium Plus when on a purchased A fare with GPU waitlisted. United's IT is garbage. This is not news.

As for subject of this thread, how it "works"... just the same. United continues to sell upgrades cheaply to those in economy out from under those waitlisted, except now you've paid even more for the privilege.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Can you take a PE Upgrade with a GPU and still Standby for C

The title pretty much says it all. There is a PE upgrade available. Is there any way to take it AND standby for C?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, assuming your Economy fare basis is W or higher.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:21 pm

Cool. It's V. Is that automatic, or do you need to request it?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the website, you have to choose the correct option, and then it is automatic. If an agent puts the request in for you, you should be sure to state your desire.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:25 pm

Thanks folks!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
Never tried to upgrade with miles so I just want to make sure I understand.

I have no status, but if I purchase a PPlus O fare (and waitlist for Polaris just miles no copay) I get priority over economy passengers trying to upgrade, but I don't get priority over Golds, silver, etc. While I see no PZ (I think that's what I'm looking for) currently it is subject to change and if it changes, at that point I might get upgraded?

Thank you
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woodburyhome
Never tried to upgrade with miles so I just want to make sure I understand.

I have no status, but if I purchase a PPlus O fare (and waitlist for Polaris just miles no copay) I get priority over economy passengers trying to upgrade, but I don't get priority over Golds, silver, etc. While I see no PZ (I think that's what I'm looking for) currently it is subject to change and if it changes, at that point I might get upgraded?

Thank you
An O fare might well be more expensive than a discount business class fare.

You're correct about PZ being what you're looking for. According to UA, a no-status passenger on an O fare would be head of all economy passengers looking to upgrade, regardless of status, but would be behind other Premium Economy passengers with status who are trying to upgrade.

And, yes, if PZ opens, you should get upgraded. If you notice that PZ is open but you haven't been upgraded, call and ask them to push the upgrade through. (This is rare, but it does happen sometimes).
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
Thank you!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
GPU upgrade to PP ticket

Hello everyone--- I looked at the GPU thread-- didn't see this addressed... I am confused.

The details below are just an example.
About to purchase a ticket to EMEA--- lowest round trip to (for instance) EWR- MUC on a GPU-eligible fare is $2000 (that's the lowest that comes up when I have the "Upgrade with GPU" clicked.

However-- removing that and just searching for a regular ticket that I can purchase--- a Premium Plus ticket comes up by connecting through a city that has an aircraft that is so-configured (BRU for instance) for $1500....The BRU-MUC leg of course economy.

now-- in the "rules" i see about Premium Plus it says
  • There will be no fare class restriction, other than for Basic Economy and Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) tickets, for members who have purchased a United Economy seat and request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat, and no fare class restriction for members who have purchased a United® Premium Plus seat and request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.

So--- Does that mean that the United Premium Plus ticket is upgradable to Business class with the GPU (Space in PN of course needed as I am GS)

YTJK
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ytjk
Hello everyone--- I looked at the GPU thread-- didn't see this addressed... I am confused.

The details below are just an example.
About to purchase a ticket to EMEA--- lowest round trip to (for instance) EWR- MUC on a GPU-eligible fare is $2000 (that's the lowest that comes up when I have the "Upgrade with GPU" clicked.

However-- removing that and just searching for a regular ticket that I can purchase--- a Premium Plus ticket comes up by connecting through a city that has an aircraft that is so-configured (BRU for instance) for $1500....The BRU-MUC leg of course economy.

now-- in the "rules" i see about Premium Plus it says
So--- Does that mean that the United Premium Plus ticket is upgradable to Business class with the GPU (Space in PN of course needed as I am GS)

YTJK
I'm not sure that I follow your question, but if you ticket in O, A or R class on United metal, you can use a GPU for your appropriate Polaris space (PN, PZ).
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:08 am

OK... The reason I ask is when I use the search tool and ask for GPU-eligible fares, the Premium Plus tickets don't show up.

They probably should.... Anyway seems like it will save me $500 I will book and then call, I can always cancel if it doesn't work out.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ytjk
OK... The reason I ask is when I use the search tool and ask for GPU-eligible fares, the Premium Plus tickets don't show up.

They probably should.... Anyway seems like it will save me $500 I will book and then call, I can always cancel if it doesn't work out.
I've found that tool unreliable and don't use it. It would be very nice if it worked, though.

For me it's easier to search for upgrade-eligible fare classes manually, and also not to mix economy upgrade-eligible ones (W,V,...) with premium economy ones (any: R,A,O).
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:21 am

Yes---

And I will say that -- hypothetically

A ticket for next week costs $1900 for basic economy. It costs $2100 for "GPU Upgradable" with the flag. However, it costs $1300 to purchase Premium Plus ticket in R which seems to be fully upgradable-- just by routing through a city where PP configured aircraft exist.

So there's that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.