Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GPU Upgrades for aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single Global Premier Upgrade request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris® business class cabin.
  • If you’d like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin without requiring an additional Global Premier Upgrade.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using one Global Premier Upgrade.
  • United Polaris business class upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
  • There will be no fare class restriction, other than for Basic Economy and Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) tickets, for members who have purchased a United Economy seat and request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat, and no fare class restriction for members who have purchased a United® Premium Plus seat and request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • Members requesting to move to a United® Premium Plus seat only and who have domestic portions of their itinerary will not be automatically waitlisted for United First. To be waitlisted for United First on domestic portions of an international itinerary, use your Global Premier Upgrade to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
Mileage Upgrades For aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • System-wide, all MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single MileagePlus Upgrade Award request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you'd like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or for an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you requested an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, and we moved you to a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll refund the difference in co-pay and miles after departure.
  • Members requesting a MileagePlus Upgrade Award to a United® Premium Plus seat only will not be waitlisted for United First on portions of their itinerary that do not contain United® Premium Plus.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award.
  • United Polaris business class cabin upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
Print Wikipost

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
R as "upgraded" is a known bug. Not sure what the potential issue with the other segment is; a B fare on SAN-SFO should be eligible, but the underlying R basis could be causing problems.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
However, my connecting flight SAN-SFO which is a B fare does not even have me on the upgrade list. ...
Did you apply the GPU to that segment? Best if you did not.
-My R fare is shown as an upgrade.
standard display glitch since the start of PP.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I had them remove it based on the advice from FTers

I have contacted Customer Care as obviously nothing they can do at this stage but very disappointing Premium Plus experience. Do not think I will be trying PP with United again - or at least not any time soon.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; May 22, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Old May 22, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Can you elaborate on that? I've always had the certificate applied to all eligible flights, but maybe I've been doing it wrong?
Old May 22, 2019, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GBadger
Can you elaborate on that? I've always had the certificate applied to all eligible flights, but maybe I've been doing it wrong?
B is instant upgrade fare domestic and clears into PN. Applying GPU lowers upgrade priority and may confuse the system. Though it sounds like the system got confused here regardless, possibly by the GPU removal request, or possibly this is a function of the new Compass system that was just implemented last week.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
B is instant upgrade fare domestic and clears into PN. Applying GPU lowers upgrade priority and may confuse the system. Though it sounds like the system got confused here regardless, possibly by the GPU removal request, or possibly this is a function of the new Compass system that was just implemented last week.
Ah -- got it. Good reminder as I have a Y-A-B combination coming up that I'm hoping to upgrade with miles.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I had them remove it based on the advice from FTers ...
Wonder if the agent misunderstood or made an error and marked it as a "don't upgrade"?
Fortunately it just a short segment, sub-500 mile

I have contacted Customer Care as obviously nothing they can do at this stage but very disappointing Premium Plus experience. Do not think I will be trying PP with United again - or at least not any time soon. ....
???
Missing a very short CPU is a reason to not book PP?
What about the actual PP experience? Deciding to aviod before trying?
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:44 pm

Actually I can catch SAN-FRA in LH Premium Economy rather than having to go via SFO with UA, SAN-SFO-FRA. Agree it is only a short hop in coach with UA.

My annoyance is that UA has screwed up the IT side and am guessing if it is recorded in the system Premium Plus was an upgrade then I am going to have to argue to get back the GPU.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My annoyance is that UA has screwed up the IT side and am guessing if it is recorded in the system Premium Plus was an upgrade then I am going to have to argue to get back the GPU.
I doubt it. There are several systems involved here.

What's happening is that somebody neglected to update the software that's responsible for displaying cleared upgrades to remove R. This was an issue with JN for years -- Y/B/M upgrades used to clear into JN, so anyone who used an everyday business award would show up as "upgraded."

If your GPU isn't returned automatically, I don't expect it will be much of an argument to get it back.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:10 pm

... am guessing if it is recorded in the system Premium Plus was an upgrade then I am going to have to argue to get back the GPU.
From previously reported experiences your guess is probably wrong. The purchased R PP showing on the gate display as an upgrade has been an "issue" from day one and no one has reported any issue on getting purchase fare credit. The internal systems are handling this correctly. Just ignore the gate display and no reason to worry.

While LH is an option from LAX, there is no using GPUs on the cheapest LH Premium Economy (N) fares. So if you want to try for an upgrade on a purchased PE/PP, it will be significantly more expensive on LH.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Verify that my recent R fare showed as an upgrade on the display and the app, but definitely was not an upgrade. Can also verify that the phone agent I spoke to was willing to give me my GPU back.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:47 am

....While LH is an option from LAX, there is no using GPUs on the cheapest LH Premium Economy (N) fares. So if you want to try for an upgrade on a purchased PE/PP, it will be significantly more expensive on LH.
It is an option for SAN. LH flies non-stop SAN-FRA and PE is comparable in price to PP. I am flying the return that way FRA-SAN. Day time flight.

....Missing a very short CPU is a reason to not book PP?
What about the actual PP experience? Deciding to aviod before trying?
I am looking forward to trying PP, just was not expecting the IT snafus. I like PE on most airlines but as I am not in a hub not tied to UA like others.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 2019 at 11:33 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 23, 2019, 11:40 am

It is an option for SAN. LH flies non-stop SAN-FRA and PE is comparable in price to PP. ....
The comparable prices LH PE fare to UA's PP R fare is an N fare. UA's R fare is upgradeable with UA GPUs, LH's N fare is not.

To use a UA GPU on LH's PE you will need an E fare which is comparable to UA's PP A fare -- significantly more expensive than UA's R / LH's N fares.

Just like using GPUs for regular economy, LH's requires a higher fare class than UA does.

So yes the direct LH flight from SAN will be more convenient but to use a UA GPU it probably is going to be more expensive (if R fare on UA is available). With the TATL JV, LH and UA fares are matched.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA R also earns 50% more PQM than LH N.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:45 pm

...So yes the direct LH flight from SAN will be more convenient but to use a UA GPU it probably is going to be more expensive (if R fare on UA is available). With the TATL JV, LH and UA fares are matched.
Well since the GPU did not come through and the B fare does not work, I think next trip will be LH PE as one less connection and no getting annoyed with UA IT snafus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.