Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GPU Upgrades for aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single Global Premier Upgrade request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris® business class cabin.
  • If you’d like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin without requiring an additional Global Premier Upgrade.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using one Global Premier Upgrade.
  • United Polaris business class upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
  • There will be no fare class restriction, other than for Basic Economy and Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) tickets, for members who have purchased a United Economy seat and request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat, and no fare class restriction for members who have purchased a United® Premium Plus seat and request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • Members requesting to move to a United® Premium Plus seat only and who have domestic portions of their itinerary will not be automatically waitlisted for United First. To be waitlisted for United First on domestic portions of an international itinerary, use your Global Premier Upgrade to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
Mileage Upgrades For aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • System-wide, all MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single MileagePlus Upgrade Award request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you'd like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or for an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you requested an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, and we moved you to a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll refund the difference in co-pay and miles after departure.
  • Members requesting a MileagePlus Upgrade Award to a United® Premium Plus seat only will not be waitlisted for United First on portions of their itinerary that do not contain United® Premium Plus.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award.
  • United Polaris business class cabin upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
Print Wikipost

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ytjk
Yes---

And I will say that -- hypothetically

A ticket for next week costs $1900 for basic economy. It costs $2100 for "GPU Upgradable" with the flag. However, it costs $1300 to purchase Premium Plus ticket in R which seems to be fully upgradable-- just by routing through a city where PP configured aircraft exist.

So there's that.
Yes, you have found the sweet spot. Even better is that passengers in Premium Plus have higher priority for the upgrade to Business than passengers in Economy. And if the upgrade does not clear at least you have a better seat and service than in Economy.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ytjk
A ticket for next week costs $1900 for basic economy. It costs $2100 for "GPU Upgradable" with the flag. However, it costs $1300 to purchase Premium Plus ticket in R which seems to be fully upgradable-- just by routing through a city where PP configured aircraft exist.
I can confirm that R is often cheaper than W on TATL fares, and R can be upgraded with a GPU as long as the flight is operated by UA. You cannot use a GPU on an R fare on a flight that's operated by LH.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
I can confirm that R is often cheaper than W on TATL fares, and R can be upgraded with a GPU as long as the flight is operated by UA. You cannot use a GPU on an R fare on a flight that's operated by LH.
Deep discount PE is outrageously, absurdly cheap right now. Partly my opinion, but also relative to the TATL market equilibrium before UA added PE and also the going rate on NZ TPAC or NH before UA similarly blasted the market. IMO, enjoy it while it lasts.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
Deep discount PE is outrageously, absurdly cheap right now. Partly my opinion, but also relative to the TATL market equilibrium before UA added PE and also the going rate on NZ TPAC or NH before UA similarly blasted the market. IMO, enjoy it while it lasts.
By the time they will sell PP on flights from/to ORD those deep discount PP prices will just be something that FTers reminisce about. Just my luck that it's difficult from my location to travel through another airport.......
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:21 pm

GPU applied to Premium Econ will that hurt chance for biz

Hello everyone, I currently have an upcoming flight and applied GPUs for the trip. I selected it to apply to both Polaris Business class and also Premium Economy. I know it gets burned if I only get the PE upgrade, but does opting for both hurt my chances of getting the Polaris upgrade? Thanks for any thoughts or insights.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The Premium Plus thread and UA's websites actually denote PP has a higher priority over anyone else sitting in Economy for Polaris. (Obviously GS is a different story).
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
The Premium Plus thread and UA's websites actually denote PP has a higher priority over anyone else sitting in Economy for Polaris.
That only refers to passengers who purchased P+, though.

The question is whether or not UA will preferentially upgrade passengers from Y to J if they haven't selected P+ as an option, meaning that UA gets to use up as many instruments as possible.

My response is that UA has shown no indication that they care how many instruments are outstanding, and that I think it would be too clever for UA's IT by half. It would also irritate a lot of people if it became public knowledge.

So, while I can't say that we know for sure, personally, I doubt it. (However, if you're looking at paying for a W fare, I'd check the price for a PE R fare also. It may not be much more expensive -- in fact, it could be less expensive -- and then you don't have to worry about UA being sneaky.
MSPeconomist and findark like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

But is Premium Plus worth it?

Or is the price difference to regular Y negligible?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81

R fares seem to hover around the price of W, both + and - (the arbitrage opportunity).

A and O fares are a bit of a premium, which may not be worth it.

If the choice is K or R, I have a hard time saying R is worth it for the seat alone, but broadly that is the same old question of whether it's worth buying up to W.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

"Is the premium cabin worth it?" is always a personal choice. My description of PE as "absurdly cheap" is based on fares relative to the equilibrium before UA's introduction to the market, and also the back-of-the-envelope that PE would need a RASM close to 20 in order to break even (slightly higher than 50% premium to E- purely on a floor-space basis).

But for me, absolutely. On a daytime flight, it's the difference between comfort and misery. On an overnight flight, it's grudging acceptance versus "I will not fly". I will waitlist an instrument in PE going to J.. I would not do the same in Y. All that for a couple hundred round trip? It's a great deal!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
R fares seem to hover around the price of W.
It really depends on route. On SFO-HKG it is about $300 higher each direction.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
"Is the premium cabin worth it?" is always a personal choice. My description of PE as "absurdly cheap" is based on fares relative to the equilibrium before UA's introduction to the market, and also the back-of-the-envelope that PE would need a RASM close to 20 in order to break even (slightly higher than 50% premium to E- purely on a floor-space basis).

But for me, absolutely. On a daytime flight, it's the difference between comfort and misery. On an overnight flight, it's grudging acceptance versus "I will not fly". I will waitlist an instrument in PE going to J.. I would not do the same in Y. All that for a couple hundred round trip? It's a great deal!
so anything under 50% premium over Basic Economy is worth it?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so anything under 50% premium over Basic Economy is worth it?
I was talking about floor space there - I'm doing back of the envelope math. UA had a gross CASM of 13.9 in 1Q19, so for a seat which takes up 50% more space it's going to cost about 50% more (extra service nets out over fewer pax, roughly). This is probably an overestimate for a number of reasons, but I was explaining my reasoning that a sub~$1,500 PE fare from the West Coast to either Asia or Europe is not sustainable.

As far as "worth it", I personally don't care much what the premium is. I would not fly in Economy on an intercontinental flight if it were free. Price is only important insofar as it influences how much, when, and where I choose to fly. I'm not about trying to maximize some hypothetical service quality to dollar ratio; I just want to fly above a baseline level of comfort at the best available price. For me that level tends to be "shrug my shoulders and cross my legs without striking objects or people" for flights longer than I would be willing to stand on a subway car, and "able to lie down" if I am spending the night on the aircraft.

Obviously, this is a personal decision which is different for every pax, which is why "is it worth it" is a rather intangible question.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It really depends on route. On SFO-HKG it is about $300 higher each direction.
Yes, W can be more expensive than R, but it can also be cheaper by even that much (some TATL routes). I doubt the latter will be the long-term status quo, though.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
GPU success from Economy to Premium Plus to Polaris

I have been reluctant to waitlist to PP using a GPU with the secondary waitlist to Polaris mainly because I was not convinced the United IT system would cope with the "double" upgrade.

My first attempt at using a GPU from economy to Polaris, albeit there was PP on the flights, I ended up upfaring to PP and then there was an automatic upgrade to Polaris at the time of the upfare (albeit PZ was displaying as 0 - surprised the CS agent and me).

My first attempt at using a GPU from PP to Polaris was a no go. SFO-FRA which I understand is a hard route to get PZ and PP was a comfortable ride.

However, I have booked a PQD run to HKG and the coach fare is ridiculously cheap (I suspect due to the current political environment) but covered the missing PQD to make 1K for 2020. PP was quite a hefty price tag (unlike other instances where W is often more than R). So I have done the double GPU waitlist as PP for 15 hours is much better than 10 across in coach, and same for the return.

I am looking for reports that people have been successful with the double upgrade using their GPUs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.