Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GPU Upgrades for aircraft with United Premium Plus:
  • MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single Global Premier Upgrade request to move to a United Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If youd like to be considered for a move to a United Premium Plus seat or an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, well move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United Premium Plus seat, well continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin without requiring an additional Global Premier Upgrade.
  • Members who have purchased United Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using one Global Premier Upgrade.
  • United Polaris business class upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
  • There will be no fare class restriction, other than for Basic Economy and Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) tickets, for members who have purchased a United Economy seat and request to move to a United Premium Plus seat, and no fare class restriction for members who have purchased a United Premium Plus seat and request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • Members requesting to move to a United Premium Plus seat only and who have domestic portions of their itinerary will not be automatically waitlisted for United First. To be waitlisted for United First on domestic portions of an international itinerary, use your Global Premier Upgrade to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
Mileage Upgrades For aircraft with United Premium Plus:
  • System-wide, all MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single MileagePlus Upgrade Award request to move to a United Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you'd like to be considered for a move to a United Premium Plus seat or for an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, well move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United Premium Plus seat, well continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you requested an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, and we moved you to a United Premium Plus seat, well refund the difference in co-pay and miles after departure.
  • Members requesting a MileagePlus Upgrade Award to a United Premium Plus seat only will not be waitlisted for United First on portions of their itinerary that do not contain United Premium Plus.
  • Members who have purchased United Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award.
  • United Polaris business class cabin upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
Print Wikipost

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
But there is no restriction any PP fare to go into Polaris - United specifically says PP get upgraded to J before Y passengers. Even if a GS is in Y
Actually, the published rules do not say that. GS are not referenced anywhere in UA's upgrade priority rules. It is once again an unpublished status level and not subject to published rules.

I agree we'll have to see how this plays, but I expect GS in Y will still have priority over all other elites for J upgrades.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, the published rules do not say that. GS are not referenced anywhere in UA's upgrade priority rules. It is once again an unpublished status level and not subject to published rules.

I agree we'll have to see how this plays, but I expect GS in Y will still have priority over all other elites for J upgrades.
So you think this line of their published upgrade is maybe going to be "Fudged?
  • United Polaris business class upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.

Notice it CLEARLY says PURCHASED
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So you think this line of their published upgrade is maybe going to be "Fudged?

Notice it CLEARLY says PURCHASED
Look at the present published rules for upgrades and noticed GS is not mentioned but it has clearly been demonstrated domestically GS CPU beats 1Ks on supported upgrades, so we know the published rules are incomplete and rules for GS are "different".
So would I be surprized that these rules are "incomplete" / silent for GS, no -- in fact I would expect the rules for GS to be different.
wxguy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 31, 2019 at 7:40 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So you think this line of their published upgrade is maybe going to be "Fudged"
As I stated, it simply doesn't address GS upgrades. GS upgrades are handled outside the published rules.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Look at the present published rules for upgrades and noticed GS is not mentioned but it has clearly been demonstrated domestically GS CPU beats 1Ks on supported upgrades, so we know the published rules are incomplete and rules for GS are "different".
So would I be surprized that these rules are "incomplete" / silent for GS, no -- in fact I would expect the rules for GS to be different.
Wow, that did not used to be the case.

I clearly remember when "GS" was line 1 on the upgrade priority list domestically. It's bad enough for 1K that they get PN inventory, but now to give them a "1.5 class" Y-J upgrade over the PP-J is a little insulting to this 1K. I guess that is why they didn't publish it.....
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by ryman554
Wow, that did not used to be the case.

I clearly remember when "GS" was line 1 on the upgrade priority list domestically. It's bad enough for 1K that they get PN inventory, but now to give them a "1.5 class" Y-J upgrade over the PP-J is a little insulting to this 1K. I guess that is why they didn't publish it.....
GS have always had special, unpublished rules, such as "forcing" upgrades within a specified time of departure, using GPUs on award tix, converting T to X, and as WineCountryUA already mentioned, CPU priority over instruments on the waitlist.

We don't know that GS will have priority for Y to J upgrades, but it would be consistent with past practice.
wxguy likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Here's the upgrade order, from UA website:

Effective December 12, 2018, upgrade waitlists are processed in the following priority order:
  1. Premier status of the traveler
  2. Fare classFootnote1
  3. Chase United MileagePlus Club cardholders and Presidential Plus cardholders
  4. United Corporate Preferred participant
  5. Chase United MileagePlus cardholders with $25,000 annual spendFootnote2
  6. Time of request
Footnote 1: Fare class structure in priority order is O, A, R (for upgrades from United Premium Plus seats to the United Polaris business class cabin) and Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G (for upgrades from United Economy to the next higher class of service on all aircraft). Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class.
Upgrade is still being processed based on the old way - status trumps fare class. So a GS in Y would be ahead of line than a 1K in R, not withstanding the special rule-breaking benefit bestowed upon GS members.

Also, upgrade is processed based on underlying fare, not where you are sitting. So a 1K member who pre-upgraded to Premium Plus with a W fare would be behind a 1K with H fare sitting in E+.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:06 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
As a 1K, can I purchase any Premium Plus seat for myself and still apply a GPU for Polaris or do I need to purchase a specific Premium Plus fare for the GPU?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by mr8
As a 1K, can I purchase any Premium Plus seat for myself and still apply a GPU for Polaris or do I need to purchase a specific Premium Plus fare for the GPU?
All three P+ fare classes (A, O, R) are GPU eligible.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:15 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
All three P+ fare classes (A, O, R) are GPU eligible.
Thanks! The rules seemed a little vague and could be interpreted as if there are Premium Plus fares that are "upgrade-eligible" and non-eligible:
  • Members who have purchased United Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using one Global Premier Upgrade.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you try to upgrade with miles and copay on an economy ticket, would they only upgrade you to Premium Plus, not Business?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
If you try to upgrade with miles and copay on an economy ticket, would they only upgrade you to Premium Plus, not Business?
You can waitlist for Business only or PP & Business.
If you do the latter and get PP, you will be waitlisted for Business still.
If you get nothing the miles and copay are returned
If you only get PP, the copay is returned but the miles are consumed.

More specific UA states
If you requested an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, and we moved you to a United Premium Plus seat, we’ll refund the difference in co-pay and miles after departure.
But presently none of the PP mileage upgrades have copays and in most cases, the mileage is the same for PP & Business

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2019 at 5:56 pm Reason: UA statement on refunds
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Here's the upgrade order, from UA website:

Upgrade is still being processed based on the old way - status trumps fare class. So a GS in Y would be ahead of line than a 1K in R, not withstanding the special rule-breaking benefit bestowed upon GS members.

Also, upgrade is processed based on underlying fare, not where you are sitting. So a 1K member who pre-upgraded to Premium Plus with a W fare would be behind a 1K with H fare sitting in E+.
Incorrect. You forgot to read one paragraph down:

Upgrade confirmation priority on flights with United Premium Plus
On aircraft with United Premium Plus, well first process United Polaris business class or United Business waitlists for all members who have purchased United Premium Plus seats, using the priority order listed above. Well then process waitlists for members with United Economy seats, using the same priority order.
<bolding mine>

The GS in Y *should* be behind the 1K in R, at least according to published rules. We'll see about the unpublished ones. It would really be great if folks in OAR would clear into PN...... but pigs may also fly.

I agree with the "purchased" part, although a part of me hopes that "RN" via instrument/miles+copay is a "purchase". But again, there might be an ice cream shop in hades.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'm a bit confused over Premium Plus seating .... I'm doing a quick M/R EWR-LAX-EWR in early May. I booked UA240 Dreamliner in G fare ($321 r/t), and am only UA Gold. I originally choose seat 31G, but then changed it to 21J (PP?) without any issues. The website confirmed my change, but reading posts, it appears that a move to PP would necessitate some sort of Upgrade?? None was asked for, nor charged. I do understand that upgrading to Polaris/Business on this flight can't occur without payment/certs etc. Will my 'new' PP choice be rescinded ?
PS- my return UA510 is on a 752, I assume no free upgrades from economy on that flight either ?

Last edited by mauld; Apr 8, 2019 at 7:09 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ryman554
Incorrect. You forgot to read one paragraph down:

<bolding mine>

The GS in Y *should* be behind the 1K in R, at least according to published rules. We'll see about the unpublished ones. It would really be great if folks in OAR would clear into PN...... but pigs may also fly.

I agree with the "purchased" part, although a part of me hopes that "RN" via instrument/miles+copay is a "purchase". But again, there might be an ice cream shop in hades.
Read your bolded statement again, which states using the priority order listed above, which is what I referenced. The statement you have pointed out is technically correct, and that is in case of a tie breaker, a member in purchased Premium Economy fare would trump a member in economy. However, the order is still status first, then underlying purchase fare (not upgraded).

Originally Posted by mauld
I'm a bit confused over Premium Plus seating .... I'm doing a quick M/R EWR-LAX-EWR in early May. I booked UA240 Dreamliner in G fare ($321 r/t), and am only UA Gold. I originally choose seat 31G, but then changed it to 21J (PP?) without any issues. The website confirmed my change, but reading posts, it appears that a move to PP would necessitate some sort of Upgrade?? None was asked for, nor charged. I do understand that upgrading to Polaris/Business on this flight can't occur without payment/certs etc. Will my 'new' PP choice be rescinded ?
PS- my return UA510 is on a 752, I assume no free upgrades from economy on that flight either ?
For domestic flights, PP seating is part of E+, not a separate cabin. You'll be fine, well, until they changed the rule on domestic PP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.