Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:51 pm

Do row 7 seats on A320s and 737s have seatbelt airbags?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Do row 7 seats on A320s and 737s have seatbelt airbags?
No

Believe you only have seatbelt airbags for seats that are aligned off-axis -- not directly in alinement with the front of the plane.
ucdtim17 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Hi, I'm trying to move the return leg of an upcoming trip by a several days - outbound is an R fare, inbound is a W fare.
I was just wondering why united.com wants 2.2k for a change fee. Is this a website issue?

Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JMBResona
Hi, I'm trying to move the return leg of an upcoming trip by a several days - outbound is an R fare, inbound is a W fare.
I was just wondering why united.com wants 2.2k for a change fee. Is this a website issue?

It's probably not a website issue. I would assume your ticket is repricing, and you're booking into different inventory on one or both segments (due either to fare rules or lack of cheaper inventory). What's the fare if you try to book this as a new ticket?

Note that the best strategy for changing the return date on an international ticket is often to wait until you've flown the outbound, because the ticket does not reprice so long as you stay within the fare rules.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's probably not a website issue. I would assume your ticket is repricing, and you're booking into different inventory on one or both segments (due either to fare rules or lack of cheaper inventory). What's the fare if you try to book this as a new ticket?

Note that the best strategy for changing the return date on an international ticket is often to wait until you've flown the outbound, because the ticket does not reprice so long as you stay within the fare rules.
Hmm when making a new booking, the fare actually prices out to 2088.23, which more or less matches what's listed under "New Trip" on the original screenshot. Fares are A for NRT-IAD and S for ORD-NRT.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hmm when making a new booking, the fare actually prices out to 2088.23, which more or less matches what's listed under "New Trip" on the original screenshot. Fares are A for NRT-IAD and S for ORD-NRT.
There's your explanation. The R is no longer available for your itinerary.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
There's your explanation. The R is no longer available for your itinerary.
Sorry, I feel like this should be blindingly simple, but for some reason I'm not grasping it.

So according to the website, my original itinerary cost $1949, and the new one costs $2087, and the "Change Flights" link correctly outputs this.

Where does the $2232 change fee come from? The total ($2369) is exactly equal to (New Fare - Old fare) + $2232.

Last edited by JMBResona; Apr 17, 2019 at 8:47 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:58 am

So according to the website, my original itinerary cost $1949, and the new one costs $2087, and the "Change Flights" link correctly outputs this.

Where does the $2232 change fee come from? The total ($2369) is exactly equal to (New Fare - Old fare) + $2232.
Sorry, I misunderstood your last post (and could not read the receipt due to small print). The $2232 change fee is incorrect. The website is choking on the multi-city booking. You should call to change this ticket. Or if it's a refundable ticket (it may well be), and the cancel fee is same as change fee, cancel and rebook. (The last NRT-originating W fare I looked at was a 30,000 JPY charge for cancel or change.)
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:30 am

Hi, im taking the 777-200 (IAD to NRT) in J in August and reservation currently shows the old seat chart. I've been looking at recent flights and at 24 hrs before, they would show the new polaris 1-2-1 seat chart. Is this a sign the route will probably keep the new polaris seats? Am i able to pick certain seats in the old seat chart that would convert to specific seats in the new chart? Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superret
Hi, im taking the 777-200 (IAD to NRT) in J in August and reservation currently shows the old seat chart. I've been looking at recent flights and at 24 hrs before, they would show the new polaris 1-2-1 seat chart. Is this a sign the route will probably keep the new polaris seats?
No. It's a sign that nearly half of the 772s have been converted.

Am i able to pick certain seats in the old seat chart that would convert to specific seats in the new chart? Thanks
No, it seems more-or-less to be a crapshoot. I recommend checking your seat reservation from the time that an actual airframe is assigned to your flight for the first time, about three days prior to departure.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
No. It's a sign that nearly half of the 772s have been converted.

No, it seems more-or-less to be a crapshoot. I recommend checking your seat reservation from the time that an actual airframe is assigned to your flight for the first time, about three days prior to departure.
Thanks for the response, I actually meant the same route for the past few days at 24 hrs before, switches to the 1-2-1 seating chart. Does that mean the route converted to new polaris?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the response, I actually meant the same route for the past few days at 24 hrs before, switches to the 1-2-1 seating chart. Does that mean the route converted to new polaris?
I understand, and my answer is still the same. It just means that about half of the fleet is Polaris. It is not necessarily indicative of any future plans.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:08 pm

Does that mean the route converted to new polaris?
No.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jsloan
I understand, and my answer is still the same. It just means that about half of the fleet is Polaris. It is not necessarily indicative of any future plans.
Just to be clear, what they're telling you is that particular 777-200 planes are not dedicated to particular routes, and so whether a "Polarized" 777-200 will fly a given flight (regardless of route) depends on contemporaneous operational factors.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
Just to be clear, what they're telling you is that particular 777-200 planes are not dedicated to particular routes, and so whether a "Polarized" 777-200 will fly a given flight (regardless of route) depends on contemporaneous operational factors.
But there are several dedicated Polaris 772 routes. They are listed in the wiki here: United 77x Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris Seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.