Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Since using the new app, I have not been able to view other flight options when looking to switch flights after OLCI. Is something going on here? Had to call in a few times already.
I do not recall seeing a "change flights" option either. Anyone else?

I dislike the new app more each time I use it. The functional icons on the home screen are too small and hard to see. The marketing, on the other hand, is impossible to ignore.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I dislike the new app more each time I use it. The functional icons on the home screen are too small and hard to see. The marketing, on the other hand, is impossible to ignore.
This.

There's just something "irky" about it too. I used to like checking the app, even just to kill time.....now I do it reluctantly and ONLY as necessary.
It was a fun APP, now it's starting to become a tool I only use begrudgingly.

Sadface.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I do not recall seeing a "change flights" option either. Anyone else?

I’ve seen the change flight option on the new App. It only ever appeared when there were options. Is it possible that your itin has no options to change to?
opti
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by milepig
Is it possible that your itin has no options to change to?
Certainly possible. I was pretty busy and didn't spend any time doing research.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Since using the new app, I have not been able to view other flight options when looking to switch flights after OLCI. Is something going on here? Had to call in a few times already.
It's under Trip Options, and it's Dynamic (just like Flight Options in the old app). This is clearly communicated by United (with additional screenshots) here.

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I have a really dumb question: the "Entertainment" button is gone. How does one watch movies now?
It shows up on the home screen dynamically, also communicated by United, with screenshots at the link above. Here's how it looks:

Entertainment

Originally Posted by adams828
So once checked in.. I can’t figure out how to ‘check-in’ again (change seats, etc). Any advice? Thanks!
​​​​​​​Trip Options, the little person on the aircraft seat. 1st screenshot above.

Last edited by seanp7; Jan 30, 2019 at 12:54 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Certainly possible. I was pretty busy and didn't spend any time doing research.
Originally Posted by seanp7
It's under Trip Options, and it's Dynamic (just like Flight Options in the old app). This is clearly communicated by United (with additional screenshots) here.

It shows up on the home screen dynamically, also communicated by United, with screenshots at the link above. Here's how it looks:

Entertainment

Trip Options, the little person on the aircraft seat. 1st screenshot above.
My fare bucket was available but didnt show on the app.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has happened to me before the new app, even on simple domestic o/w.

(Not saying the new app couldn't be improved, but perhaps that aspect isn't related.)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
This has happened to me before the new app, even on simple domestic o/w.

(Not saying the new app couldn't be improved, but perhaps that aspect isn't related.)
Me too. I would call web support / Customer Service. I had no issues SDC'ing with various options on Saturday.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
SDC on new app

Hello. I am trying to figure out how to accomplish a SDC on the new app. When I select "change flight " or "travel options" I am provided with selections with bid options. I just want to change routing change within the time and fare basis limitations of the original flight. I discussed this with gate agent who indicated that this is not how the system should work. She suggested that I contact 1K to "alert" them of the results of my search.
Am I doing something wrong or do I not have understanding of how to use the SDC option on the new app?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by cagcag
Am I doing something wrong or do I not have understanding of how to use the SDC option on the new app?
Trip Options is correct. Scroll down and skip the bidding screen (or enter a bid or two) - it sounds to me like your current flight is oversold and they are looking for potential volunteers. This happened to me Thursday last week - I was checked in already (no oversold situation) but when I went to Trip options / check in again, it showed bids in case of a bump.

Once you get past that screen you should be able to SDC. If you see no option to SDC then there aren't any available flight options for your routing (just like this would never display in the old app when you went to check in, or check in again, unless there were valid SDC options available).

If you see/think there is a valid SDC-able fare available but the app isn't reporting it, try the web or call to try to snag it. If you feel the app should have displayed an option, submit feedback via the app ("We're all ears" option in the 'Just for You' section of options/ads that some people cannot stand).
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7
Trip Options is correct. Scroll down and skip the bidding screen (or enter a bid or two) - it sounds to me like your current flight is oversold and they are looking for potential volunteers. This happened to me Thursday last week - I was checked in already (no oversold situation) but when I went to Trip options / check in again, it showed bids in case of a bump.

Once you get past that screen you should be able to SDC. If you see no option to SDC then there aren't any available flight options for your routing (just like this would never display in the old app when you went to check in, or check in again, unless there were valid SDC options available).

If you see/think there is a valid SDC-able fare available but the app isn't reporting it, try the web or call to try to snag it. If you feel the app should have displayed an option, submit feedback via the app ("We're all ears" option in the 'Just for You' section of options/ads that some people cannot stand).
seanp7, thanks.I This is exactly what I wanted to know. I put in bids for several of the alternatives, but I was informed by Club agent that none of these alternatives could be confirmed; but without confirmation, I didn't want to lose the confirmed space I had for a chance of possible compensation.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I have used the new app a few times and can note the following:

- SDC still works exactly the same way. If flights are available they will appear under "Take An Earlier Flight" during the check-in process. However, I've also noted on my trip I just completed today that SDC options wouldn't appear even though I know many flights were available. I called the 1K line to make a second change to the return flight (SDC) and suddenly the SDC options appeared. Not sure why they didn't appear after the first change over the phone.

Last week's trip had SDC working fine and I was able to make 3 changes to the ticket without issue.

Do remember the app is nothing more than window dressing. All of the underlying functionality of the app is still the same so SDC works exactly the same way as it did before. So if you had a device with the old app and a device with the new they will both give you the same SDC options or lack thereof.

- Bug: I have noticed that after making changes to flights that the flight status tab will show ALL the flights I am or was scheduled to be on. They are not removed like the old app did. Once you SDC'd the app would update to give you flight status for the flight you are booked on and would remove the one you took yourself off of. The new app will list multiple flights. For example I had to make a few changes to my ORD-LGA flight last week and I had four ORD-LGA entries in the list. They only cleared two days after.

- Bug: after doing an SDC over the phone the app's home screen removed the second flight (even though it was next in the ticket and within 24 hours). When clicking on "My Trips" it suddenly changed the name of the trip to have me ending in Houston even though that was only the connection point. I was able to check in, get my BP, etc. for the connecting flight after i SDC'd to it but the Houston-xxx flight didn't appear on the home screen.

Overall, like I said, it's just window dressing. I'm fine with it. The ridiculous marketing is at the bottom instead of the top which I'm fine with. Plus on an iPhone screen I can only see the 50K bonus miles offer; the rest of the marketing junk is too far down the screen.

-RM
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:46 pm

I’m not having much luck w it...

Had to rebook flight from OMA to IAD last night through call to 1k line. 24 hours later, new flight is not showing up in list of trips. I have to search with conf #. Not a fan so far. However, I do like the marketing at the bottom but wonder how long that will last.

On a a side note: last night (12 hours before flight) I got an email from AmEx Travel that original flight was canceled. 2 minutes later I got one from TripIt. Within a minute I got a text from AmEx asking if I wanted them to call. Not a pep from UA. I was not amused.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:32 pm

Did you see other options? I was switching my boyfriend for today, and there were so many options, it seemed to stop after 8 or so, and it didn't show the option we wanted. I ended up using the change flights via the reservation on united.com (not check-in) to select the flight we wanted as a $0 change.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1kEA
.... On a a side note: last night (12 hours before flight) I got an email from AmEx Travel that original flight was canceled. 2 minutes later I got one from TripIt. Within a minute I got a text from AmEx asking if I wanted them to call. Not a pep from UA. I was not amused.
Strictly speaking, when you book with a TA, it is the TA's responsibility to notify you, not the carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.