Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by narvik
I'm just waiting for February 1, so the Mile Play [hopefully] disappears....although knowing UA they'll likely replace it with something equally or more annoying.

Is there ANYTHING that is actually better in this "re-imagination"? I find the baggage charges decently improved (for some).
Overall, I'd say a negative update though. There's nothing in there that makes it significantly better, but plenty that makes it more irritating.
Track my bag function and United Club information are both easier to find. But....I could not find my boarding passes that easily! And when I have connecting flights I cannot see subsequent flight boarding passes. Must be doing something wrong....
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:48 pm

My wife and I were in the middle of a trip when we got the message we would need to upgrade to the new app. Ok, not always so easy when your are in another country and watching your data use while abroad. But we upgraded and were sadly disappointed. The new app looks flashy but on my LG-V20 I see some words scrambled on top of other words, clearly poor app design and not fully beta tested for different phones and platforms.

Yesterday when we both went to check in we had to struggle to find the link to just CHECK IN! It was so cryptically hidden that it was just not evident. Glad we finally got home and don't have anymore travel for a few weeks, hopefully they get the kinks ironed out. Better beta testing should have fixed these errors but United IT has proven themselves to be bad at this in the past so shouldn't have expected anything better.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:54 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
I'm just waiting for February 1, so the Mile Play [hopefully] disappears....although knowing UA they'll likely replace it with something equally or more annoying.

Is there ANYTHING that is actually better in this "re-imagination"? I find the baggage charges decently improved (for some).
Overall, I'd say a negative update though. There's nothing in there that makes it significantly better, but plenty that makes it more irritating.
I'm kind of hoping they continue Mile Play, but offer me something like they did last winter and last fall, not what they did this winter. I'm fine seeing my "progress" so long as it's toward something reasonable (and no, 2x $1k+ premium cabin trips for 2-5k RDM is not reasonable; the same for 50k+ RDM, we can talk).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:08 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The new app also keeps crashing on me. If I come back to it after having done other stuff on my phone, it almost always crashes. (I have a Samsung G9+ with the most recent version of Android available for it.) Definitely downgrading for now.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I am not getting the "upgrade" message. I wonder how they decide who gets that message. I can navigate all through the old app and not get the message.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I have separate PNRs for three concurrent reservations tomorrow. The app filled most of its home screen with a big "Check in now" (or words to that effect) window for my reservation, with a "Check in" button on it. Very clear and simple.

Immediately below that pane was a small "Check in for other eligible flights" pane. Tapping it opened the "My Trips" screen, with a "Check in" link (now it says "Checked-in") which I tapped to check in my companions.

I'm quite pleased with the process so far.

On the large main pane with information about my reservation, the "UA 224 --" has been replaced with "UA 224 On time".

[EDIT]
Boarding passes are right there. My reservation occupies about three-fifths of the home screen. A prominent "Boarding pass" button at the bottom of the pane opens my boarding pass. The boarding pass now has a "G Pay - Save to phone" option which I used to save it to Google Pay. I don't remember this being available in the old app but I could have missed it.

Tapping the "My Trips" tab at the bottom opens that screen which shows all three of my reservations. Each one has a large "Boarding passes" area with summary information about each flight and a clearly labeled "View 1 pass" link that takes me to the boarding pass. These passes can also be saved to Google Pay if I want to be a belt-AND-suspenders guy.

Last edited by ajGoes; Jan 29, 2019 at 8:24 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I have separate PNRs for three concurrent reservations tomorrow. The app filled most of its home screen with a big "Check in now" (or words to that effect) window for my reservation, with a "Check in" button on it. Very clear and simple.

Immediately below that pane was a small "Check in for other eligible flights" pane. Tapping it opened the "My Trips" screen, with a "Check in" link (now it says "Checked-in") which I tapped to check in my companions.

I'm quite pleased with the process so far.

On the large main pane with information about my reservation, the "UA 224 --" has been replaced with "UA 224 On time".

[EDIT]
Boarding passes are right there. My reservation occupies about three-fifths of the home screen. A prominent "Boarding pass" button at the bottom of the pane opens my boarding pass.
The boarding pass now has a "G Pay - Save to phone" option which I used to save it to Google Pay. I don't remember this being available in the old app but I could have missed it.

Tapping the "My Trips" tab at the bottom opens that screen which shows all three of my reservations. Each one has a large "Boarding passes" area with summary information about each flight and a clearly labeled "View 1 pass" link that takes me to the boarding pass. These passes can also be saved to Google Pay if I want to be a belt-AND-suspenders guy.
This was actually in the old version, added some time last year I believe.

I never used it though as I never got familiar with G pay. Did you find it preferable in some way to using a screenshot?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I never used it though as I never got familiar with G pay. Did you find it preferable in some way to using a screenshot?
I've just tried it for the first time. A screenshot wouldn't set the phone's display to maximum brightness, so the reader might not always capture the QR code. My first attempts to use the app's boarding passes some years ago often failed because of this. Google Pay brightens the screen, so that's a definite advantage.

I haven't done anything but use the app for the past couple of years, but having a backup available couldn't hurt.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:16 am

Google Pay was a good solution for me this morning. It puts your saved boarding passes for a flight into one menu item so you can scroll from one to another. The app does this only if you're on the same reservation. We aren't today so this was a big convenience.

I'm finding the app rather unstable. If an operation seems to be taking too long, kill the app and start over.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I have a really dumb question: the "Entertainment" button is gone. How does one watch movies now?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
The worst “enhancement” for me is the disappearance of the red banner for rebooking during IRROPS for a cancelled or severely delayed flight. Had one cancel out of ORD today - dumb new app didn’t know what to do and just showed the reservation without an option to check in. Old app showed red banner and website (on trying to check in) offered rebooking. Will be annoying to have to go to website every time for irrops.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I have a really dumb question: the "Entertainment" button is gone. How does one watch movies now?
Once you board your flight the entertainment option shows up on the Home page. It's also available all the time in the menu (top-left) in the ON BOARD section.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by iloveipods
The worst “enhancement” for me is the disappearance of the red banner for rebooking during IRROPS for a cancelled or severely delayed flight. Had one cancel out of ORD today - dumb new app didn’t know what to do and just showed the reservation without an option to check in. Old app showed red banner and website (on trying to check in) offered rebooking. Will be annoying to have to go to website every time for irrops.
That's a huge disappointment if (completely) true.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:20 am

So once checked in.. I can’t figure out how to ‘check-in’ again (change seats, etc). Any advice? Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Since using the new app, I have not been able to view other flight options when looking to switch flights after OLCI. Is something going on here? Had to call in a few times already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.