Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Clicking on my MP-card on the app, it enlarges, but only shows the backside of the card ........
The are numerous references in this thread on how to enlarge the front side depending on the phone type -- however, while the *G logo is on the front, the member account, bar code, and expiration date are now on the backside.

Look for discussion of the iOS wallet or triple tapping magnification on Andriod

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2019 at 1:13 am
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
So far so good with the new app. My first flights of the year are tomorrow and the home page has the pop up.

I’ve noticed one potentially annoying bug however.

The flight status for “Where is this aircraft coming from” doesn’t show the actual status **when you access it from the reservation or from “My Flights”*. It only shows the scheduled times. It does work if you go to Flight Status and manually enter the flight number.

I reported it via the app. Hopefully they’ll see it.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
My first flight with the new app will be today - so far I really like it. One minor thing I noticed is that the old app would tell you when it was last refreshed (e.g. Just Now, 43 minutes ago, 2 hours ago, etc.). Maybe I'm the only one who liked that?

The ads to me aren't that bad. They seem to be for things I don't have (e.g. WiFi subscription) and now that I'm checked in they are pushed pretty far down the screen to the point I don't really see them anyway (I still see the tops of them, obviously... LOL!).
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
After reviewing the digital card I added to Passbook on my iPhone I realized there was no expiry date listed! Does that mean I get UA Gold for life?

-James
obviously, no (unless your a million miler).

Expiry on the card in Apple Wallet is right below the barcode, and not on the main part of the card. I didn’t see it for a while - it’s not where I was looking for it, and therefore took me a while to find.

If not, try refreshing it (hitting the three dots on the bottom right to ‘flip’ it, then pull it down), as maybe you loaded it when expiry dates were missing. Or just delete and reload from the app.

Rest assured, on Feb. 1 next year, the bar code will Grey out and say ‘this pass is expired’
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jonisflying
The ads to me aren't that bad. They seem to be for things I don't have (e.g. WiFi subscription) and now that I'm checked in they are pushed pretty far down the screen to the point I don't really see them anyway (I still see the tops of them, obviously... LOL!).
This is another annoyance by design. The ad placement puts them directly above the key menu icons at the bottom of the screen, with little to no dead space. So when using the app, you are far more likely to click an advertising box if not very precise on your taps. And Marketing can report on their inflated statistics....see how many people are interested in this offering...

When using the new app while walking down the airport concourse, I actually thought they had pop-up ads for a minute, until I realized I had accidentally hit one of the LARGE ads boxes instead of the little "flight status" icon right beneath it.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't seem to be able to pin a flight status to my flight status page. In the older app versions I could manually look up a flight and then pin it by 'add to home screen' - that option is gone, and it's very annoying.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kannai
You're able to give feedback on the app through the app. I just used that to suggest they (1) make the front of the card full sized again and return the ability to add it to Apple Wallet and this time make it clearly show Star Alliance Gold status, which it didn't before.
I have this year's digital 1K card in my Apple Wallet showing my name, MP number and the Star Alliance Gold logo. It also has a bar code so, in theory, it should be readable by any scanner. What else is there that it needs?

BTW, you might have to delete last year's card from Apple Wallet to be able to download this year's.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I have this year's digital 1K card in my Apple Wallet showing my name, MP number and the Star Alliance Gold logo. It also has a bar code so, in theory, it should be readable by any scanner. What else is there that it needs?.
In theory, you are correct. But even when I was 1K, there were some lounges I visited that demanded a physical card.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
So far so good with the new app. My first flights of the year are tomorrow and the home page has the pop up.

I’ve noticed one potentially annoying bug however.

The flight status for “Where is this aircraft coming from” doesn’t show the actual status **when you access it from the reservation or from “My Flights”*. It only shows the scheduled times. It does work if you go to Flight Status and manually enter the flight number.

I reported it via the app. Hopefully they’ll see it.
I'm not experiencing this problem with "Where is this aircraft coming from?", and I see the actual status of the incoming flight when accessing it from the reservation or My Trips. I'm using the android app.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't seem to be able to pin a flight status to my flight status page. In the older app versions I could manually look up a flight and then pin it by 'add to home screen' - that option is gone, and it's very annoying.
If you sign up for push notifications for the flight using flight status, it will show up in your ‘my flights’ part of the ‘my status’ tab. Don’t really want push notifications? They seem to have thought of that too. If you turn them off again, seems to still stay on the my flights screen.

Want to to get rid of it from my flights? That’s something I don’t think you can do, at least that Ive found yet. I saw some reference in an FAQ saying you can’t delete those, and you have to wait until several hours after the flight is complete, when it will disappear. I think they were talking about flights you actually have booked, but so far, seems the same for ones you add yourself.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
BTW, you might have to delete last year's card from Apple Wallet to be able to download this year's.
you don’t. I still had last years and the year before when I added the new one on Friday. The new one will ‘group’ together next to the older ones. Older ones also have the bar code greyed out, and instead of the expiry date below, will say ‘This pass is expired’ Doesn’t seem to have changed from last year, I.e, that seems to be the same as last year.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Want to to get rid of it from my flights? That’s something I don’t think you can do, at least that Ive found yet. I saw some reference in an FAQ saying you can’t delete those, and you have to wait until several hours after the flight is complete, when it will disappear. I think they were talking about flights you actually have booked, but so far, seems the same for ones you add yourself.
Manually set the date forward (ie override automatic clock) and restart the app. Flight status inventory will disappear. Remember to reset date back to automatic.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I see a strange bug on the new app. Or maybe it isn't?
Recently booked a domestic UA flight in Y. I happened to click on baggage information in the app and it shows my baggage allowance as 2x 70lbs. However, the usual partner *G baggage allowance has always been 1x 50lbs on domestic flights in Y. Has anyone else seen something like this?

EDIT: 2x70lbs is showing up on all my domestic flights on the app. Perhaps a future change to baggage policy? Would be super welcome, especially the extra weight per bag.

Last edited by zeer0; Feb 5, 2019 at 7:55 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zeer0
EDIT: 2x70lbs is showing up on all my domestic flights on the app. Perhaps a future change to baggage policy? Would be super welcome, especially the extra weight per bag....
Is this a part of a larger itin?

The bag calculator is still showing 1x50
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is this a part of a larger itin?

The bag calculator is still showing 1x50
No, 2 itineraries that are full domestic. Even international flights would be 2x50 not 2x70 by the current rules.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA GS/1Mil Flyer, Pond scum on everything else.
I found a bug today too. Did two flights yesterday and one during the Ice Storm back to ORD from SAT. I protected myself on another ORD-SAT flight tomorrow and my boarding pass disappeared for the first ORD-SAT flight tonight. The GA was nice enough to print me a paper one and said that happens with the app right now. Otherwise the app has been fairly good...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.