Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by exerda
I hate change, sure, but wow, this is horrible. A bunch of ads for stuff I don't even need, and the stuff I do need is harder to find and access.

Wonder how hard it is to downgrade to the prior version?!
Android is easy. No clue about Apple. The problem is that at some stage I am sure they will stop access to apps less than 3.x.x. I'm not sure that it is getting the kind of reviews they wanted here.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I'm just waiting for February 1, so the Mile Play [hopefully] disappears....although knowing UA they'll likely replace it with something equally or more annoying.

Is there ANYTHING that is actually better in this "re-imagination"? I find the baggage charges decently improved (for some).
Overall, I'd say a negative update though. There's nothing in there that makes it significantly better, but plenty that makes it more irritating.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Exactly. This isn't a customer-friendly enhancement at all - it's turning UA into a warped version of a telemarketer that ignores the Do Not Call Registry.
Just as I predicted upthread. Wonder how long I can keep the old app.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
It appears that those who want to keep the old app are destined to be disappointed. I left my phone at home this morning, so I turned on my backup phone which still has the old app on it. When I try to display a reservation, it opens a dialog reading "A newer version of the United Airlines app is available. Please update to the new version to continue."

I haven't seen anything in the new app to justify all the anguish, but I'm afraid the hold-outs are going to have to grit their teeth and accept it.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
The new app is meaningless if it still fed by UA crappy back end data. I was encouraged to see that the boarding time was dynamic on the boarding pass, but they still can’t figure out how to load a plane before it’s arrived. It was showing a 10 minutes after the arrival of the inbound plane, better than it used to, but then it just reverted to the current time. So you have to wonder did they find a new plane or something? sprint for the gate from Da Club. Nope, still waiting for arriving aircraft....

new app: 0/1
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ajGoes
It appears that those who want to keep the old app are destined to be disappointed. I left my phone at home this morning, so I turned on my backup phone which still has the old app on it. When I try to display a reservation, it opens a dialog reading "A newer version of the United Airlines app is available. Please update to the new version to continue."

I haven't seen anything in the new app to justify all the anguish, but I'm afraid the hold-outs are going to have to grit their teeth and accept it.
I'm still good to go on the old APP on Android.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by ajGoes

Android or IOS ?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Android or IOS ?
Android. And now that it's updated on my backup phone, I'm getting my first "Upcoming flight" notification. It prominently fills most of the window, summarizes the whole outbound itinerary, and includes my first gate number.

It says "Upcoming flight UA 224 | --". I don't know what the hyphens are filling in for, as the gate number is displayed below.

As I expected, the upcoming flight display pushed the ads off-screen. I'm generally sensitive to intrusive advertising but I've had no trouble mentally dismissing the ads in the app.

Last edited by ajGoes; Jan 28, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Maybe they should have a United PRO/Plus app version that doesn't have ads and costs $2.99 a month. @:-) #revenuestream #yesImjoking
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by narvik
I'm just waiting for February 1, so the Mile Play [hopefully] disappears....although knowing UA they'll likely replace it with something equally or more annoying.

Is there ANYTHING that is actually better in this "re-imagination"? I find the baggage charges decently improved (for some).
Overall, I'd say a negative update though. There's nothing in there that makes it significantly better, but plenty that makes it more irritating.
One thing that is a great improvement is ability to edit traveler information (OnePass number, TSA Pre number, etc) in the app.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
One thing that is a great improvement is ability to edit traveler information (OnePass number, TSA Pre number, etc) in the app.
OnePass?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
OnePass?
Hahahah. Sorry, MILEAGE PLUS!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
Hahahah. Sorry, MILEAGE PLUS!
I actually first thought you were having a dig at the new app version for being outdated!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Used the app today while traveling and liked it so far. Will take some retraining to use but I think it's an improvement overall.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
Other than that the ap isn't hideous.
Not hideous. Thanks. I'll wait for version 2. Maybe 3.

OnePass?
I got lucky. My MP number is exactly the same as my old OP number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.