Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

This thread is for the following all flights marketed as Polaris Business. In general, this includes
  • Most Trans-Atlantic flights
  • Trans-Pacific flights (except to/from Guam)
  • South American flights to Brazil, Argentina, and Chile only.
Don't forget to post the date and route information along with the meal information!

Here's United's official page on this category of Polaris dining:
https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ng.aspx?POS=US

For the curious folks, the 2018 thread is here:
2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

With that, Let's Eat 2019!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by warreng24
  • South American flights to Brazil, Argentina, and Chile only.
Lima (LIM), Peru is now a Polaris destination
phoxay likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
United helps everyone to slim down

I took ORD-PVG yesterday and selected shrimps and scallops as the main course. It had two pieces of shrimps and two pieces of scallops, some nice and vegetable. It did not fill up half of the bowl. I wish that the serving size should be doubled unless United wants to put everyone in Polaris cabin on diet.
Here is the picture taken before I took any bite!
Attached Images  
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Flying Blue Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriot Plat (TWA / NWA - million miler)
IAH - AMS / AMS - IAH
I have given up eating the meals on United. Mostly, I have been flying out of SFO (PEK and SIN) and IAH (AMS), so i hit the polaris lounge and have my meal there. Then just do cheese plate, snacks and cliff bars on the plane.

However, my wife and I came back on 26 december from amsterdam, and i had the pasta. It was pretty tasty. but not really what i would call a meal, the rest of the food was pretty un-inspiring....

Z
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Flew back from IAH to LHR on UA880 last night. Was surprised, and rather disappointed to see the entire menu comprised of Asian fusion dishes. Not a single dish remotely european. Ended up ordering the Beef Rib with five spices sauce, wasabi grits and bok chok. Not the most enjoyable experience.

The menu would have been far better for a pacific flight than an atlantic one. In fact, found the menu in the 2018 thread offered for an SFO -TPE flight.

Last edited by Richym99; Jan 1, 2019 at 12:23 pm Reason: added menu image
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Here is the Jan 2019 menu for all flights out of SYD & AKL.

I had the fish on UA100 SYD--IAH on 01JAN:

The new plating starts 01FEB, FAs were not impressed when I discussed with them.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA EC gold UA gold—MM Hilton Diamond Hertz Presidents Circle
I too had this menu on ua880 in early december. I chose the shrimp option which I found too hot for my palate. For my sins I will be on ithe same flght again at the end of this month and really hope this menu does not reappear on flghts to UK.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I took ORD-PVG yesterday and selected shrimps and scallops as the main course. It had two pieces of shrimps and two pieces of scallops, some nice and vegetable. It did not fill up half of the bowl. I wish that the serving size should be doubled unless United wants to put everyone in Polaris cabin on diet.
Was the pilot doing a barrel roll when the photo was taken?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Kmxu
It looks like UA is cutting its inflight meal budget to meet Wall Street earning expectation rather than customer expectation.

It is not just UA, SQ has also cut back and I noticed few shrimps and scallops on the SQ plate as well. SQ at least add more vegetable and provide better presentation to make it visually appealing.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Had soy-glazed chicken on NRT-EWR this evening. T was quite solid. As for portions being smaller, I don’t mind - I have always felt the portions were too large anyways.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Richym99
Flew back from IAH to LHR on UA880 last night. Was surprised, and rather disappointed to see the entire menu comprised of Asian fusion dishes. Not a single dish remotely european. Ended up ordering the Beef Rib with five spices sauce, wasabi grits and bok chok. Not the most enjoyable experience.

The menu would have been far better for a pacific flight than an atlantic one. In fact, found the menu in the 2018 thread offered for an SFO -TPE flight.
I flew IAD-FRA in December which had a similar menu. Thought I was on the wrong flight
Seared beef short rib - as above
Spicy Chicken - as above
Poached Shrimp with coconut red curry sauce, basmati rice, Japanese eggplant
Lentil chilli with roasted garlic polenta & sauteed spinach.

Settled for wine, bread roll and an ice cream.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:13 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Sadly, the spicy Thai noodles were gone from my flight to Beijing. Replaced with a lemongrass ginger chicken with pot stickers. I ordered it hoping it was a close facsimile thereof. NOPE. My goodness was it horrible. I love flavor and spice, but all you could taste was very overpowering ginger and equally over-fragrant lemongrass. (I like both ginger and lemongrass, but this was unbearable).

I don’t send back food—airplane or restaurant. But asked for some paper napkins and quietly wiped the sauce off of my dumplings and chicken. That being said, once I did, I rather enjoyed the dumplings (they called them pot stickers—being pedantic, they were not pot stickers, they never saw a hot pan and were not crispy or ‘burnt’ at all, they were more just like jiaozi). The chicken was “meh” at best.

I later overheard the F/As talking about the “new fish dish”. I almost ordered it, and after their comments praising it, I wish it would have.

Salad was incredibly small and wilted. Seared tuna appetizer was good, and the sundae and dessert bites were definitely the highlights.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I later overheard the F/As talking about the “new fish dish”. I almost ordered it, and after their comments praising it, I wish it would have.
What was the "new fish dish"?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:08 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
What was the "new fish dish"?
I’m sorry, I meant to grab the menu as I deplaned, but forgot it. One whitefish or another, I think with a miso glaze—yeah, pretty informative, huh?!?! I know it was not salmon or tuna, and I do know it was served with fried noodles. With the brief glance I had of it as an FA walked by, it did look rather tempting.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Had the Chicken satay on a recent HKG-ORD flight. I thought it was quite good.

Other choices were: Pan-fried beef tenderloin, Miso-glazed salmon, & Stir-fried noodles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.