Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:35 pm

Yikes - they basically ordered up the spartan pre 2012 business catering from United - what's next - no choice of rolls. Even AA evolved beyond that.

Here's ORD-NRT from 2011

AirlineMeals.net - Airline catering * the world's largest website about airline catering, inflight meals and special meals

Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rch4u
Here are the tiny new "enhanced" pre-plated Polaris meals in the domestic casserole dishes, LAX-NRT ...

img...
Good photo -- but yikes! That looks terrible. I knew this was coming, but I'm now very much not looking forward to my flights this and next month.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rch4u
Make sure you eat before boarding! A glimpse of the new "enhanced" Polaris meals in the tiny domestic casserole dishes, LAX-NRT ...

Wow, that looks hideous. This is a new low for Polaris. Jeez.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Flew IAD-NRT on Feb 1 with the new Polaris configuration.

When I asked what Champagne they were serving, I was shown the bottle. I didn't recognize it and it didn't look all that great, so I passed. Doing a bit of googling, it may have been Alfred Gratien?? Reds were the usual Colby red blend and the pinot. Menus below, I ordered the Japanese meal and enjoyed it. The squid with wasabi mashed potatoes was AWESOME. Three cheeses on the cheese plate. Those chocolate/caramel/pretzel squares are back, hurrah! They are less chewy/salty/crispy than they used to be, they are now a bit more on the gooey side but are still awesome with a dollop of whipped cream (as you can see below).

After the meal I pretty much slept until we began the descent to Narita. Why eat airplane food prior to landing when you can hit up ANA's noodle bar???

Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: United GS Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I hate landing at night local time and being served breakfast. Especially the extremely spicy omelette and sausage when landing in Mumbai, India. It’s way to spicy just before landing and having breakfast tricks me into thinking it’s time to get up.

I have complained many times to the crew the stupid survey they send you after the flight; nothing. No change. A sandwich or wrap would be a better option.

I have taken matters in to my on hand. Discovering that “anytime” you can order the in flight snack.

Its a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. Perfect. I order it at the beginning of the flight when they are taking the dinner order. It’s really good and is better than eating the 8/10 on the hot scale breakfast at 8 pm local landing time.

Have a look...

I’m a newbie. Looks like I need to post a few more times before I can post my photo. Will check back soon.
Dhamal and wanderingkev like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2019 at 3:06 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UnitedGS_seat2B
I hate landing at night local time and being served breakfast.
UA is clearly capable of *not* serving breakfast at the wrong time of day as they showed on my recent UA29 SFO-SIN, which arrives around 8:30PM local time. There was a choice between butternut squash pasta and Chinese pork meatballs with rice. (And there I was hoping for a bowl of congee!)
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I’m a newbie. Looks like I need to post a few more times before I can post my photo. Will check back soon.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads

Originally Posted by big V
Flew IAD-NRT on Feb 1 with the new Polaris configuration.

When I asked what Champagne they were serving, I was shown the bottle. I didn't recognize it and it didn't look all that great, so I passed. Doing a bit of googling, it may have been Alfred Gratien??
I had the Alfred Gratien on one of my flights. It was not bad.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Feb 3, 2019 at 6:03 am
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by aindfan
UA is clearly capable of *not* serving breakfast at the wrong time of day as they showed on my recent UA29 SFO-SIN, which arrives around 8:30PM local time. There was a choice between butternut squash pasta and Chinese pork meatballs with rice. (And there I was hoping for a bowl of congee!)
Always happy when Katsu is available as an arrival meal option on NRT flights. Seen it as both chicken and pork, and is much preferred at landing time to any of the breakfast stuff.

I don't recall seeing Katsu on any other routes. Is it served on any other segments?
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Example of first "preplated" items to show up ?
Wow, what an unappealing meal. Are they trying to make the entrees so bad that people simply won't want to eat, thereby justifying loading no meals at all?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I had the Alfred Gratien on one of my flights. It was not bad.
I may try it on the return this weekend. Happily, an op-up on ANA to BKK meant I got to enjoy several glasses of Krug after I declined United's bubbly. So I got some champers on my travels, after all.
StuckinITH likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
I hate landing at night local time and being served breakfast. Especially the extremely spicy omelette and sausage when landing in Mumbai, India. It’s way to spicy just before landing and having breakfast tricks me into thinking it’s time to get up.

I have complained many times to the crew the stupid survey they send you after the flight; nothing. No change. A sandwich or wrap would be a better option.

I have taken matters in to my on hand. Discovering that “anytime” you can order the in flight snack.

Its a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. Perfect. I order it at the beginning of the flight when they are taking the dinner order. It’s really good and is better than eating the 8/10 on the hot scale breakfast at 8 pm local landing time.

Have a look...
Welcome to Flyertalk.
Everyone has their own preferences as you will discover. For myself, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, I could have the spicy omelet morning noon and night.
Dhamal and kirkwoodj like this.

Last edited by qfrodo; Feb 4, 2019 at 4:35 am
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by qfrodo
I could have the spicy omelet morning noon and night.
Is this the Southwest omelet? It's not very spicy (reminder to myself, bring little bottle of Tabasco on my next flight) but I like it way better than the other omelets: those are disgusting.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: United GS Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Is this the Southwest omelet? It's not very spicy (reminder to myself, bring little bottle of Tabasco on my next flight) but I like it way better than the other omelets: those are disgusting.
it’s the ‘southwest omelette’ but I think it’s different from the domestic one. On the BOM flight I find it’s much spicyer.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:35 am

it’s the ‘southwest omelette’ but I think it’s different from the domestic one. On the BOM flight I find it’s much spicyer.
I only had the international one but I never flew to BOM. Flights to/from China and to/from Europe. I really like extremely spicy food.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I don't recall seeing Katsu on any other routes. Is it served on any other segments?
It used to make the rounds as a domestic TCON meal, was gone for a while, but was just reported again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.