Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM

This thread is for premium cabin flights marketed as United First, United Business, and Premium transcontinental services. This includes:
  • North America (including all 50 US States, Canada, and Mexico)
  • Caribbean and Latin America (excluding Brazil, Argentina, and Chile)
  • Intra-Pacific/Oceania/Micronesia (such as HNL-GUM and GUM-MNL)
  • Select European Routes (such as to/from KEF)
Basically any premium cabin that is not marketed as Polaris goes in this thread.

Don't forget to post the date and route information along with the meal information!

Here's United's official page on North America premium cabin dining (including meal time windows):
https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ng.aspx?POS=US

North American premium cabin dining includes all First and Business class flights (including p.s. Premium Service) within North America, the Caribbean, and Latin America

For the curious folks, the 2018 thread is here:
2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

With that, Let's Eat 2019!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
On my domestic flights yesterday and today I noticed that the Snack Basket has had a much-needed refresh / update / modest upgrade.

Choices included Cheez-its, cinnamon flavored rice crackers, mini protein bars, different types of fresh fruit, gummy bears, unsalted mixed nuts. Thought it was a one-off fluke, but showed up on two sectors.

Wines, both red and white, were US domestic and better quality than before.

2019 is here, with a new catering budget in Q1. Heres hoping!
Benj K likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
IAD - LAX 1/2/2019 Dinner
Meal choices were chicken paneer with rice or chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans, both with a side salad. Served with a pretzel roll. Dessert was ice cream with chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Cookies were served later in the flight.

FA asked everyone for their first choice of meal, presume she sorted it out in the galley. Service was very good although a little slow in getting started.

Other:
Announcement in LAX baggage claim that deliveries were taking 30-45 minutes. LAX bag reclaim is slow, but normally not that bad.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
January 2019 eastbound premium transcon lunch/dinner menu is shockingly kale-free!

Chilled appetizer: smoked duck, lemon-dill potato salad (2 slices of duck, pretty standard, seen this before)
Salad: mesclun, mozzarella, grape tomato, olive with balsamic dressing (meh)

Mains:
Seared flat iron steak with chimichurri, mashed sweet potatoes, white beans with garlic and thyme (has rotated through several times before)
Seared chicken breast with bordelaise, cauliflower-leek mash, herbed baby carrots
Grilled salmon with coconut red curry, ramen noodles, baby bok choy

Standard desserts

I had the salmon, which I hadn't seen before, and was impressed! One of the better dishes I've had on UA TCON in a long time.

rch4u, HotelHacker and narvik like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
January 7, 2019: UA275 EWR - LAX (official) inaugural service on the 78J (787-10) from Newark. The chicken meal was really sad looking and didn't taste good.

Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

78J inaugural LAX-EWR January breakfast

The fruits were ripe & sweet. The chicken chorizo with scrambled were very tasty with the hot sauce package as a welcome little touch.
There were roastbeef-cheese and cheese-tomato wraps offered pre-arrvial.

HotelHacker likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:08 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
3 Jan 2019
EWR-LAX

On the westbound, kale is alive and well.

Balsamic vinaigrette was the salad dressing. 3 different bread, including garlic bread, were offered.

Turkey and cheese wrap + cheese/hummus tomato sandwiches were offered midflight. The updated snack basket was also onboard. Sadly, no more gummy bears.
EWR764 and HotelHacker like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
January 7, 2019: UA275 EWR - LAX (official) inaugural service on the 78J (787-10) from Newark. The chicken meal was really sad looking and didn't taste good.
I flew the 78J EWR-LAX flight on January 9. Seated in 1A, it took 2.5 hours for the flight attendants to finish the meal service. I got tired of waiting for appetizers, so I just gave up and snuck to the back to buy a sandwich.

Anyone else experiencing painstakingly slow service on this new bird?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rch4u
I flew the 78J EWR-LAX flight on January 9. Seated in 1A, it took 2.5 hours for the flight attendants to finish the meal service. I got tired of waiting for appetizers, so I just gave up and snuck to the back to buy a sandwich.

I don't recall exactly when the service began on the January 7's 78J flight from EWR to LAX, but appetizer wasn't served to me until around the Chicago area, so around 2 hours in. I couldn't be sure, but the service was divided between rows 1 through 6 and rows 7 through 11.

Also in the minus column, the appetizer of prosciutto was way too salty.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
3 Jan 2019
EWR-LAX

Turkey and cheese wrap + cheese/hummus tomato sandwiches were offered midflight. The updated snack basket was also onboard. Sadly, no more gummy bears.
It was & I had the same menu on the 78J-inaugural this Monday. The prosciutto "ball" turned out to be 3 decent-sized slices, once "unwrapped", which I did enjoy along a pretzel roll.
The salad would have been fine, but I skipped it due to the sweet dressing it came with.

Pre-arrival I tried a bite of the turkey sandwich: it was very dry!. This needs some condiments on the side: mustard, mayo, pickle ......
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm really disappointed to see the post-cut TCON entrees now showing up on p.s. (although the ravioli with leeks is really tasty). Doesn't feel like this bodes well for the future of domestic dining..
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by rch4u

This is totally an issue related to the staffing model. They have a total of 8 flight attendants working, serving up to 318 customers. In business class, there are 4 flight attendants serving 44 customers. However, 2 of them need to stay in the galley preparing, plating, and heating up to 20 trays, leaving only 2 flight attendants, for each flight attendant, delivering hot towels, 20 nuts and drinks, taking away nut dish, dropping 20 trays one at a time, roll service, removing 20 bowls/dishes, refilling drinks, dropping off entrees, more rolls, refilling drinks, removing dishes, then roll down the dessert/cheese cart. Comparing to standard domestic 1 tray and done service, it's about 3x the work and half as many people needed to do this timely.

And yes, it did take almost 2+ hours on my flight on 78J.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
It was & I had the same menu on the 78J-inaugural this Monday. The prosciutto "ball" turned out to be 3 decent-sized slices, once "unwrapped", which I did enjoy along a pretzel roll.
The salad would have been fine, but I skipped it due to the sweet dressing it came with.

Pre-arrival I tried a bite of the turkey sandwich: it was very dry!. This needs some condiments on the side: mustard, mayo, pickle ......
The hummus and cheese sandwich is much more preferable to the turkey sandwich for exactly that reason.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
IAH-LAX this morning. Choice of kale pastry or protein plate. Biscuits & cinnamon rolls in bread basket.

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Jan 12, 2019 at 7:43 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The updated snack basket was also onboard. Sadly, no more gummy bears.
No!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I usually ask for the bigger better quality Haribo buy on board from the back after raiding the small bags in the snack basket.They've been happy to oblige.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Looks like the same chicken dish that was offered on the eastbound service in December. Not good at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.