Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
2/16 UA1708 FLL-EWR - Dinner Snack

The meal code on my reservation was Dinner, but we were served a "Snack" on board. Another passenger asked the FA about this, and the FA didn't understand why since EWR-FLL was catered with a full meal. My GS friend said that FLL-EWR is always a Snack.

Choices were Asian Noodle Salad, or a Cheese Plate.

I opted for the salad

I was surprised to see that it was soba noodles instead of the rice noodles that I had before (See this post). My seatmate saw the dish and asked the FA if it was too late to switch. The FA said that it was indeed too late, but she could offer him both the cheese plate, and a similar noodle salad, but in a smaller portion. Somehow that "smaller portion" had the rice noodles and almost looked like the dish I had in November on a dinner flight.

Is the (rice) noodle salad a BoB item in the back? If not, could it be some sort of crew meal?

The soba was actually quite bland, and there was no sauce or dressing to go with it. The beef was quite delicious though.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Premium transcon today had the normal (non-pre plated) plates.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
UA1231
HNL-LAX
Delayed - original departure 8am, left at 2:30pm

Maybe because of the mechanical delay the flight received special catering from HNL instead of double catering from the Mainland, but I enjoyed an exceptional lunch yesterday form HNL-LAX. Honestly, I think this was the best chicken dish I have ever had on United.

Service began with warmed mixed nuts, including macadamia nuts. The main course, "cider chicken" was topped with thyme and served with sweet potatoes and the bulgur had cranberries and raisins in it. Very delicious. Then ice cream with whipped cream and a coconut caramel sauce plus Mai Tais.

tstauck likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
UA1231
HNL-LAX

Maybe because of the mechanical delay the flight received special catering from HNL instead of double catering from the Mainland, but I enjoyed an exceptional lunch yesterday form HNL-LAX. Honestly, I think this was the best chicken dish I have ever had on United.

Service began with warmed mixed nuts, including macadamia nuts. The main course, "cider chicken" was topped with thyme and served with sweet potatoes and the bulgur had cranberries and raisins in it. Very delicious. Then ice cream with whipped cream and a coconut caramel sauce plus Mai Tais.
I thought UA always catered in HNL, it was my understanding that they double catered to everywhere but HNL.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by N104UA
I thought UA always catered in HNL, it was my understanding that they double catered to everywhere but HNL.
In any case, a delicious meal.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
That's correct... HNL actually has a Chelsea kitchen.
N104UA likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO-EWR, the choices were completely predictable - short rib, grilled chicken breast, or turbot filet. I had the fish. It was fine. I really dislike the watermelon in the salad.

EWR-SFO, flat iron steak, a chicken option, and a salmon noodle something that sounded really good. FA told me everyone wanted the salmon but UA had only loaded 8 for a 44 pax cabin. I passed on dinner, having just stuffed down a burger in Classified ^
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
ORD-IAH 17 Feb 550 pm departure

Actual takeoff time approx 4 hours later due to delayed inbound crew followed by deicing. Chose the once intriguing but now increasingly ubiquitous Pad Thai chicken. I think the second choice was arugula salad with chicken.

Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
UA1231
HNL-LAX

Those root vegetables look like the yucca spears they served with the tamale chicken dish (sadly gone for a number of years).
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
UA5573 SFO-DFW 2/21 1:15PM E75 Choice of Soba noodle salad and cold roast beef sandwich. Same choices last month on the same routing, same time, same equipment
UA5736 DFW-LAX 2/23 6:40AM E75 Only option was cereal with walnut, apricot and zucchini bread. I've had this for breakfast as long as I could remember.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
We've seen most of them before so not going to upload pictures, but

UA5927 SFO-MSP Feb, Soba noodle salad with chicken or roast beef sandwich (caramelized onions, blue cheese), same as DFW above
UA5523 MSP-SFO same as outbound (I like them both fine, and haven't figured out if "whatever balances the meal orders" is helping the FA or causing them stress because it seems to take them forever to figure out what I'm offering..)
UA727 SFO-IAD Feb, back to four-cheese, two-beet, leek and lemon ravioli (which remains tasty) or the "chicken casserole" which is something like chicken and accompaniments on farro (if same as HNL-LAX I should have tried it, oops!). Salad was spinach leaves with mandarins and feta, bread was pretzel roll, ice cream was vanilla, Polaris tart was apple, and DCA flight is no longer at 1pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

In any case, a delicious meal.
That’s really funny. I’ve had this dish twice now on HNL-LAX in the last month and think it is one of the more disgusting things I’ve eating on UA. The chicken was a rubbery mess and swimming in the sauce. Both times. I choose the pasta now. But someone mentioned the tamale chicken dish from days gone by. Now that was good!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
2019-02-11 UA1955 IAH-DCA

Dinner

Options were one of the mac and cheese dishes or chicken salad. Requested the salad (which I knew I'd get as a 1K sitting in 1F) but then the guy in 1E was asked for his second choice and indicated that he wasn't a meat eater when the mac and cheese option was gently reminded. I offered to take a mac and cheese but the Purser brought forth two salads after all was said and done.

Received ramekin of nuts...and then the drink:

Anyway, cue the salads...my seatmate gave me his serving of chicken:

Have additional closeup shots of the chicken, salad and dessert I can post if desired/requested.

David
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Maui (OGG) flights are not double catered either (at least the ones to/from DEN and ORD). LIH/KOA/ITO flights are double catered.

Last edited by nddomer04; Feb 24, 2019 at 11:12 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
2019-02-18 UA768 SFO-BOS

Breakfast

t.p.s./p.t.s. Breakfast menu for what remains of February:

Requested the quiche. Here's the fruit salad - only one of the slices of pineapple were edible:

Quiche:

Wrap:

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.