FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:40 pm
PTahCha
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by rch4u
I flew the 78J EWR-LAX flight on January 9. Seated in 1A, it took 2.5 hours for the flight attendants to finish the meal service. I got tired of waiting for appetizers, so I just gave up and snuck to the back to buy a sandwich.

Anyone else experiencing painstakingly slow service on this new bird?
This is totally an issue related to the staffing model. They have a total of 8 flight attendants working, serving up to 318 customers. In business class, there are 4 flight attendants serving 44 customers. However, 2 of them need to stay in the galley preparing, plating, and heating up to 20 trays, leaving only 2 flight attendants, for each flight attendant, delivering hot towels, 20 nuts and drinks, taking away nut dish, dropping 20 trays one at a time, roll service, removing 20 bowls/dishes, refilling drinks, dropping off entrees, more rolls, refilling drinks, removing dishes, then roll down the dessert/cheese cart. Comparing to standard domestic 1 tray and done service, it's about 3x the work and half as many people needed to do this timely.

And yes, it did take almost 2+ hours on my flight on 78J.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
It was & I had the same menu on the 78J-inaugural this Monday. The prosciutto "ball" turned out to be 3 decent-sized slices, once "unwrapped", which I did enjoy along a pretzel roll.
The salad would have been fine, but I skipped it due to the sweet dressing it came with.

Pre-arrival I tried a bite of the turkey sandwich: it was very dry!. This needs some condiments on the side: mustard, mayo, pickle ......
The hummus and cheese sandwich is much more preferable to the turkey sandwich for exactly that reason.