Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm glad I went with the other choice (the sugary, carb-laden souffle) on that route a couple of days ago.

It has been a while since I took the premium transcon flights, but I was also disappointed that the later service was a half of a sandwich wrapped in plastic. No plate, no napkin, heck, not even a 2nd drink service. Pretty poor for what's supposed to be a premium experience! (Not that I expect much out of breakfast flights to begin with...)
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by exerda
I'm glad I went with the other choice (the sugary, carb-laden souffle) on that route a couple of days ago.

It has been a while since I took the premium transcon flights, but I was also disappointed that the later service was a half of a sandwich wrapped in plastic. No plate, no napkin, heck, not even a 2nd drink service. Pretty poor for what's supposed to be a premium experience! (Not that I expect much out of breakfast flights to begin with...)
That never bothered me. The flights are short enough that there's no reason for a second meal service anyway, especially since UC access on both ends is included. So a small landing snack is fine.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dilanesp
there's no reason for a second meal service anyway, especially since UC access on both ends is included. So a small landing snack is fine.
Flying EWR-SFO, there is absolutely nothing in either UC I want to eat.

I’ve stopped relying on the airline to feed me on t-cons. This is true regardless of carrier. Though I did enjoy flagship first dining at JFK my last round trip.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:46 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
That never bothered me. The flights are short enough that there's no reason for a second meal service anyway, especially since UC access on both ends is included. So a small landing snack is fine.
Flying westbound, I'm usually hungry again about an hour prior to arrival, particularly if headed to SFO (where the flight can be 6+ hours). UC access is so-so, particularly if connecting on either end of the trip. If it were Polaris lounge access, sure, but UC... nah, that doesn't make up for the lack of a meal.

I'm not asking for a full mean for the pre-arrival snack, but certainly on a "premium" transcon product, I'd like to see something more than a cling-wrapped half a "sandwich" dropped on one's tray table. Even the hot items from the typical Choices menu would be better. Yes, this has long been an issue with UA, and they offer more meager arrival snacks on longer flights, too... but it doesn't mean it's acceptable to for a "premium" product offering, either.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA GS
I had the chicken with Cauliflower rice last night. While the taste was pretty good, it looked like vomit on a plate. Albeit a small portion of vomit
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Flying westbound, I'm usually hungry again about an hour prior to arrival, particularly if headed to SFO (where the flight can be 6+ hours). UC access is so-so, particularly if connecting on either end of the trip. If it were Polaris lounge access, sure, but UC... nah, that doesn't make up for the lack of a meal.

I'm not asking for a full mean for the pre-arrival snack, but certainly on a "premium" transcon product, I'd like to see something more than a cling-wrapped half a "sandwich" dropped on one's tray table. Even the hot items from the typical Choices menu would be better. Yes, this has long been an issue with UA, and they offer more meager arrival snacks on longer flights, too... but it doesn't mean it's acceptable to for a "premium" product offering, either.
1. I don't think that the word "premium" requires an airline to overfeed passengers.

2. The full service after the flight levels off is a very substantial meal, more than 2,000 calories with breads and dessert. Even on a westbound flight, we are talking about getting a second meal MAYBE 4 hours after the last meal.

3. If that's not enough, UC access is available after the flight.

Under those circumstances, the light snack at the end of the flight is more than sufficient.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
1. I don't think that the word "premium" requires an airline to overfeed passengers.

2. The full service after the flight levels off is a very substantial meal, more than 2,000 calories with breads and dessert. Even on a westbound flight, we are talking about getting a second meal MAYBE 4 hours after the last meal.

3. If that's not enough, UC access is available after the flight.

Under those circumstances, the light snack at the end of the flight is more than sufficient.
This argument about United meals being 2,000 or 4,000 calories keeps coming up, and frankly, it’s a little silly. A lot of people do not want to stuff themselves with bread, carbs, and sweets. When you remove all that stuff, the meal is usually a 2-5 ounce piece of protein and a salad the size of a fist. I now usually bring my own food lest I go hungry on a UA transcon.

To make things worse, on my last couple flights the salad was completely inedible. Chopped up lettuce with corn syrup dressing. I’d take the arugula with chicken breast over that any day.

And, finally, with regards to the recent transcon breakfast services, it’s a good thing I mostly sleep on those flights, because they’ve been absolutely vile as of late. While United omelettes are usually edible - I actually enjoy the cream filled omelette they sometimes serve - they keep swapping that out for dried out scrambled eggs over soggy tortilla chips, a frankly inedible combination.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
This argument about United meals being 2,000 or 4,000 calories keeps coming up, and frankly, it’s a little silly. A lot of people do not want to stuff themselves with bread, carbs, and sweets. When you remove all that stuff, the meal is usually a 2-5 ounce piece of protein and a salad the size of a fist. I now usually bring my own food lest I go hungry on a UA transcon.

To make things worse, on my last couple flights the salad was completely inedible. Chopped up lettuce with corn syrup dressing. I’d take the arugula with chicken breast over that any day.

And, finally, with regards to the recent transcon breakfast services, it’s a good thing I mostly sleep on those flights, because they’ve been absolutely vile as of late. While United omelettes are usually edible - I actually enjoy the cream filled omelette they sometimes serve - they keep swapping that out for dried out scrambled eggs over soggy tortilla chips, a frankly inedible combination.
I am against inedible food. If UA is serving crap you can't eat, that's bad.

But a reasonable piece of protein, a salad, and an appetizer is a large meal. It's not small. And most people do have the breads and desserts- people scarf out in premium cabins!

I don't think it is right to associate "premium" with amount of food, if a 4 course meal is served. Calorie counts are relevant here.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UAflyer93

That dressing is an abomination. I never use it. Just as I never eat the sugared yogurt they serve for breakfast.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: All the programs!
Dec 2019 SFO-IAH
The Thai chicken looked promising but the noodles and chicken were undercooked.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by oopl
Dec 2019 SFO-IAH
The Thai chicken looked promising but the noodles and chicken were undercooked.
Yum! Undercooked chicken!

David
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:06 pm

Mods, we probably need to close this thread. It's 2020.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Mods, we probably need to close this thread. It's 2020.
Per se, the current year is 2020. However, folks are pulling images and menus out of their late December 2019 cameras and phones so they appropriately belong here.

David
oopl likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As we are now in 2020, let's us 2020 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.