FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well I'm assuming because they were Japanese. Which also explains the care taken in heating and plating
Ah, I was wondering if there was another signal, although here the heating/plating alone makes it seem a safe assumptin.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
UA 101: IAH-SYD on 1/6/19

see below for menu and dinner/breakfast.

Ordered the ginseng chicken bowl, but it appears I got the old chicken with noodles. Still solid. I thought the tuna appetizer was decent and I always enjoy the Asian salad.

Has anyone had a decent breakfast recently? I thought the omelette was mediocre, but it was FAR better than the frittata on the way over.

Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Somebody at UA catering is mad for mushrooms! As a mushroom-hater, I am glad that I am (theoretically) given meal choice preference. Otherwise, my second choice would be the dish with the most-pick-outable mushrooms!
jonisflying, IAH2MEL, gmt4 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
I thought the tuna appetizer was decent and I always enjoy the Asian salad.
There was the exact same salad on p.s.: I like it, but hate that sweet dressing.
Overall I am really disappointed with all kind of sweet dressings popping up everywhere.
Please bring choice of dressings back!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: UA: MM
Anyone know if they are still offering the unpublished stuff?

For example, on LHR-IAH (879) if you ask quietly, they could sub in a Shepherds Pie for the entree and I've had a beef stroganoff on FRA-IAH (47).

I think they cater these as a mid-flight snack for those who get hungry (or skip the first course) and IMHO are both really good.

I'll be on 879 in a couple of weeks and give it a try.

FWIW
DLM
EWR764 and BeanTownBoy like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmunz
For example, on LHR-IAH (879) if you ask quietly, they could sub in a Shepherds Pie for the entree and I've had a beef stroganoff on FRA-IAH (47).
I opted for the beef stew ex-FRA/ZRH as a pre-arrival dish numerous times in 2018. The last time in December.
The FAs were always happy to oblige.
On the ^ +++ ^ side a unheated sample dish was placed on the midflight snack cart, on the - - - side FAs would deny there was such a thing
onboard, which upon my repeated request they finally "found" it.
BeanTownBoy likes this.

Last edited by cesco.g; Jan 9, 2019 at 11:44 am Reason: added detail
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
US-China January 2019

Photos taken on UA 807 IAD-PEK on Jan 4

This is the first time I have seen the Ginseng Chicken Bowl on the menu. Not sure if this new or I just missed it during my monthly commune between US and China.
I selected the Ginseng Chicken and it was very good. Thick broth with tender chicken meat and dumplings. Ginseng gives the dish a nice kick. I think I prefer it over the Thai Coconut Chicken Udon.

Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

China-US January 2019

Photo taken on UA 88 PEK-EWR on Jan 8

A nice FA was offering anything from the cart as pre-departure drinks rather just the typical sparking wine, water and juice.
There was no hot bites (only cup noodles), and the salad was frozen.
The beef tenderloin was surprising tasty!

jazzhou and Dhamal like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have done that flight too many times but can't recall that cheese selection.
Looks nice!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by IAH2MEL

see below for menu and dinner/breakfast.
Unfortunately, the bottom of the first photo doesn't show the complete set of route codes to which this menu currently applies, but it looks as though it may pertain to all the US>Australia non-stops.

We're flying UA863 SFO>SYD in early February (the day after the new pre-plating regimen takes effect). Under normal circumstances, should we be expecting this same menu (or do they differ ex SFO, for example, or get changed by calendar month)?

Since if the flight leaves punctually dinner won't get served until at least 02:30 (on our EST body time), I had naively been thinking that we had the alternative of a more leisurely earlier dinner in the SFO Polaris lounge. However, the lounge's thread here tells me that the full service restaurant there shuts down usually by 21:00 (the official time appears to be vague), notwithstanding the four or five widebodies scheduled to depart later in the evening.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
I have done that flight too many times but can't recall that cheese selection.
Looks nice!
Surprisingly i am getting the above cheese selection more often than others on all routes ex-PEK.

You have not really missed anything. The UA cheeses aren’t usually aged well.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM

Surprisingly i am getting the above cheese selection more often than others on all routes ex-PEK.

You have not really missed anything. The UA cheeses aren’t usually aged well.
Aye, and the reason I haven't chosen the cheese-plate in some time.
With your pictures it's always difficult to discern if the dish is really fantastic, or if you are simply THAT good in taking pictures as you sometimes (always???) make it look nicer than it really is!
Can't remember the cheeses ever looking so good.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Photos taken on UA 807 IAD-PEK on Jan 4

This is the first time I have seen the Ginseng Chicken Bowl on the menu. Not sure if this new or I just missed it during my monthly commune between US and China.
I selected the Ginseng Chicken and it was very good. Thick broth with tender chicken meat and dumplings. Ginseng gives the dish a nice kick. I think I prefer it over the Thai Coconut Chicken Udon.

img
img
img
img
img
img
img
img
img
img
img
img
img
I imagine those are youtiao in the congee, but they look like churros. How were they?

A nice FA was offering anything from the cart as pre-departure drinks rather just the typical sparking wine, water and juice.
There was no hot bites (only cup noodles), and the salad was frozen.
The beef tenderloin was surprising tasty!

img
img
img
img
img
img
img
img
img
The salmon appetiser looks quite good.

Do you have a guess: were the no hot bites as intended, or was it a mis-cater, or perhaps the FA's were unfamiliar with that service? I didn't think they'd be removing them from any of the TPAC flights but may have missed the news.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

You have not really missed anything...
Nice that UA has two western selections out of PEK but none out of USA this month...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UA 882 NRT -> ORD on Jan 10, 2019
United Polaris Business (However, I was sat in the old UA Global First seats on this non-retrofitted plane).

Items ordered:
Sauteed sea bream fish fillet for dinner and the Seasonal mackerel, yuzu sauce, tawara rice, taro, seasonal vegetables for arrival dining service.

Sauteed Sea Bream Fish Fillet:

Seasoned Mackerel for arrival dining:

The food was all very delicious.
HotelHacker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.