Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I have observed that certain routes appear less likely to incur the changes you describe, also, the length of the reservation matters.
>6 month seams to increase the probability of change and you may be tempting fate reserving that far out. Or maybe I am confusing my own experience tempting the scheduling powers. My only experience with FCO-EWR is pre-Covid and that did not change.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
I have observed that certain routes appear less likely to incur the changes you describe, also, the length of the reservation matters.
>6 month seams to increase the probability of change and you may be tempting fate reserving that far out. Or maybe I am confusing my own experience tempting the scheduling powers. My only experience with FCO-EWR is pre-Covid and that did not change.
Assuming that any schedule change or equipment change won't impact premium plus availability on that route (i.e., they'll still fly 777s and not the more leisure specific 767s like they do to other Italy outposts), should my premium plus award ticket be protected? Imagine UA isn't going to junk FCO-EWR, so I'm thinking the most they do is change the departure time and/or equipment. I just don't want a scenario where we end up in the back.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gold23
Assuming that any schedule change or equipment change won't impact premium plus availability on that route (i.e., they'll still fly 777s and not the more leisure specific 767s like they do to other Italy outposts), should my premium plus award ticket be protected? Imagine UA isn't going to junk FCO-EWR, so I'm thinking the most they do is change the departure time and/or equipment. I just don't want a scenario where we end up in the back.
If a schedule change occurs and UA has PremPlus options to your destination, you will be protected. For International routes, the vast majority of possible aircraft have PremPlus. so while impossible to say never, I would not be particularly concerned that far out (Yes the 763 without PremPlus is probably the biggest risk -- then I would reroute to FRA/MUC/ZRH and take the short hop to FCO)
SPN Lifer, gold23 and 8MiHi like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2022 at 11:32 am Reason: ZRH
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Premier Plus - Discount Club Pass

Hi

​​I've now booked into Y+ and on the website it mentions that you can get discounted United Club passes. This would be handy for my stop in SFO. Does anyone know how to get these please? I can only see the full priced $59 pass on the app

Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by QTFLYER
Hi

​​I've now booked into Y+ and on the website it mentions that you can get discounted United Club passes. This would be handy for my stop in SFO. Does anyone know how to get these please? I can only see the full priced $59 pass on the app

Thanks
It doesn't seem to be published anywhere and noone's posted a price (AFAIK). You'll probably get the price when you scan your boarding pass at UC reception. Would be helpful if you can post afterwards the price.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
United sometimes sells Travel Options that include a one way pass to United Clubs along your routing. If offered, it would show on the United website when you pull up your itinerary.

These typically cost more than a $59 one time United Club pass; however, it also covers your layovers.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by QTFLYER
Hi

​​I've now booked into Y+ and on the website it mentions that you can get discounted United Club passes. This would be handy for my stop in SFO. Does anyone know how to get these please? ....
Assume you mean PremPlus (things get confusing as UA also has EconomyPlus)

UA makes mention of discount UA access for PremPlus but is pretty vague on how to obtain. As you book on united.com PremPlus seats, an option does appear for discount access -- but it makes some assumptions on how many airports you might visit the UC. So in some cases the single airport one time pass (OTP) might make more sense. The discount is not great

Examples
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
On board UA2415 tonight LAX-ORD. 787-10. I originally had a premium plus seat (sold as just economy plus) but thankfully upgrade cleared. Anyways around T-24 I noticed the seats on the seat map switched to the purple ones / “premium plus” and all the seats were open.

There’s no upgrade list for PP on this flight. I’m seated in the back and have heard a couple people say they were originally in rows 20-22 and Now pushed backed to row 30+, and trying to talk their way back into rows 20-22. Flight attendants don’t know what to say other then what’s on their boarding pass is where they’re supposed to sit.

Not sure what I would have done if I lost my seat - plead my case to the gate agent before boarding?

Or is United content with just sending out this flight without those seats filled?

edit: I just received a notification from United my plane type has changed, and now when I check the seat map the seats are back to showing regular economy plus seats and they show partially filled up. It was not like this 5 minutes ago. This email came well after boarding had started.

2nd edit: customer service came on the Pa and said there was “a glitch” in the system and to not change seats if you got a change seat notification (I got one but it was for my current seat). Based on app, all standbys are clearing into the PPlus seats.

3rd edit: gate agents are going to rescan everyone’s boarding passes now on flight…what a gong show.
MatthewLAX and 8MiHi like this.

Last edited by BThumme; Aug 17, 2022 at 12:36 am
Old Sep 16, 2022, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Purchased a ticket to VIE to visit the Christmas markets in December and found a reasonable buy-up to PEY on the outbound IAD-GVA ($197). The return, however, UA wants $1,320 for PEY and $1,350 for C on MUC-DEN.....makes total sense!
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: Bear Backers
Review Premium Plus

Seat very uncomfortable. So hard I could not really find a good position on a 10 hour flight. Maybe its just me but wife also had trouble. Back back after getting off. Service was very good. Lunch wasShort ribs which was good and a cold vegetarian plate. Breakfast was bad. Hard, cold croissant and some eggs and sausages. Good fruit ruined with yogurt sauce.

priority luggage was great. Got luggage at Heathrow in about 15 minutes.

put in an upgrade with miles and cash on the return . Maybe paid PP will get me a sear on Oct 20 So far 16 Bus seats shown not booked. Wife and I are on separate tickets so maybe one will get upgraded.

Would not fly Premium Plus again. Its either coach or business.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: UA 2MM
oskidunker - Was your flight SFO-LHR then? ✈️
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: Bear Backers
Yes itwas
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by oskidunker
Seat very uncomfortable. So hard I could not really find a good position on a 10 hour flight. Maybe its just me but wife also had trouble. Back back after getting off. Service was very good. Lunch wasShort ribs which was good and a cold vegetarian plate. Breakfast was bad. Hard, cold croissant and some eggs and sausages. Good fruit ruined with yogurt sauce.

put in an upgrade with miles and cash on the return . Maybe paid PP will get me a sear on Oct 20 So far 16 Bus seats shown not booked. Wife and I are on separate tickets so maybe one will get upgraded.

To each his own regarding the seat. I would take a PP seat and "Polaris type food service" over the uncomfortable 767 (non PP bird) seat and expired door stop bread, and inedible food we were server last week on a 11hr flight. In addition, the other good thing with PP is that you're in a much better upgrade position than in Y.
evol likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by oskidunker

Same experience here. I'd rather pay for an extra seat in economy plus than ever pay for Premium again. I wonder system wide how the PP option is doing in terms of the revenue it brings in vs just having economy plus seats in that space. I just finished a trip in PP on the 777 and honestly hated it. It was the third time in PP for me. The area of the cabin is super noisy due to engine location -- and the vibrations are really noticeable. There's 0 privacy if sitting in the last row of PP. And if you're lucky enough like me to have screaming babies in the bulkhead behind you it makes it even better! The food is near inedible but served on a fancy tray. I wonder if it'll last.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
If only middle PP seats remain would you stick with a bulkhead aisle in e+? Long flight coming up and I like to be able to get up to walk around. Seems pretty hard to do from middle without disturbing aisle pax.

Need to decide whether to pull upgrade request, which likely will clear into middle seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.