Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jsloan
If P+ service is not offered on a route, there shouldn't be any reason to sweep people out of the seats. In those cases, UA its treating P+ the same as E+.
I will keep watching it for sure. I have been waitlisted for the business saver award but there are down to J3 seats left and the early departure is J0 so it isn't looking good for an upgrade. Having P+ would be a nice compromise. Frankly, if my biz seat doesn't come available by around noon I am probably going to just cancel the wait list since I wouldn't be able to enjoy the Polaris lounge.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by drewguy
Seems like United hasn't quite decided what it wants PP to be. Is it mainly just a bigger economy seat with service that's at most modestly better? Or is it designed to be "business-lite" with a seat that's not nearly as comfortable but many of the service trappings of a premium cabin (IME, while the seat was like domestic F, the service was like international Y). For the most part it seems to be the former, but the pricing at times seems to suggest it's the latter.
It's supposed to be nicer seat nicer food nicer amenities. And it is. You decide if it is worth the price.

If having to remove foil from an entree is the definition of non-luxury, then I guess it isn't luxury. It still may be worth the upfare.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Recommendations for Premium E alternatives to United???

Originally Posted by drewguy
Seems like United hasn't quite decided what it wants PP to be. Is it mainly just a bigger economy seat with service that's at most modestly better? Or is it designed to be "business-lite" with a seat that's not nearly as comfortable but many of the service trappings of a premium cabin (IME, while the seat was like domestic F, the service was like international Y). For the most part it seems to be the former, but the pricing at times seems to suggest it's the latter.

As a long-legged taller person, legroom is important to me, so I do like the PP legroom over E+. Have been glued to United to keep my 1K status, but after this year, we all know that story. . . Generally I will be flying at least PE on international legs due to my height and work rules.

Would appreciate input from posters on which airline's Premium Economy products other than United are comparable, or better than United's? I have a couple trips to book in the next few weeks for 2020, and I will try to use my GPUs to get into J, but if that can't be done affordably, I will definitely look at other carriers. . . I will be lifetime gold due to 1MM and thus Star Gold (for now), I won't be compulsively tying myself to United any longer to get to 1K and will be looking to book PE on so would love comparisons with other Star Alliance carriers, or even non-star carriers that have superior premium economy.

Thanks in advance. . .
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by 94010flyer
As a long-legged taller person, legroom is important to me, so I do like the PP legroom over E+. Have been glued to United to keep my 1K status, but after this year, we all know that story. . . Generally I will be flying at least PE on international legs due to my height and work rules.

Would appreciate input from posters on which airline's Premium Economy products other than United are comparable, or better than United's? I have a couple trips to book in the next few weeks for 2020, and I will try to use my GPUs to get into J, but if that can't be done affordably, I will definitely look at other carriers. . . I will be lifetime gold due to 1MM and thus Star Gold (for now), I won't be compulsively tying myself to United any longer to get to 1K and will be looking to book PE on so would love comparisons with other Star Alliance carriers, or even non-star carriers that have superior premium economy.

Thanks in advance. . .
Sure, but to where? Asia or Europe or ??? I just flew NH PE on a 77W from ORD to HND and service was similar to UA although the FAs offered drink refills. Seats were older than UA but moderately more comfortable. I think UA had better recline. Food was equivalent, in fact UA might have been slightly better but I get a special meal (gluten free). NH did not have a wine glass and dishes were plastic, but UA uses blue plastic for anything but wine.

As an aside I'm trying to sort out what I feel is incorrect PQM credit on my MP account. United charged me for UA fare class A (150%) under UA codeshare flight number, but after the flight it is showing NH fare class E (100%) under NH flight number. So watch for that too.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 94010flyer

Thanks in advance. . .
The PE hard product is pretty much industry standard. For example, UA, DL, and AA all use the same seat, as do a number of other carriers and the rest are pretty similar. The only clear avoid in my mind is any flight trying to jam in 8-across PE on the A350 which most 350 operators attempt (notable exceptions are CI and LH at 7-across).

Can't comment as much on soft product, but hard to imagine it's not broadly comparable.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: Mosaic, AsiaMiles, Mabuhay, Alaska
Agreed. I'm not a big fan of the 2-4-2 on the 350. I flew CR's PEY TPAC and the seat didn't feel worth the upgrade. I think JAL is the gold standard for PEY.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:21 am

Even if P+ is not offered there is a possibility you will received upgraded amenities (not meals) based on how they service the aircraft. I have had this happen before on domestic routes because they "restock" the aircraft as if it's going on a normal international route.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your PP seat will stick unless the aircraft is swapped out.

While it is true that when UA has booked Y passengers into PP, it will move them out if and when it sells PP as a class of service, as your flight is tomorrow, UA is highly unlikely to start selling PP between now and then.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by vaguba
Any news on when united plans on rolling out this product to their chicago long haul flights?
It looks like it is fully rolled out from January onward on ORD-LHR as I was kicked from my reserved seat and pushed back into Economy+. Last weekend I was able to select and travel on those seats as 1k.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Often1
Your PP seat will stick unless the aircraft is swapped out.

While it is true that when UA has booked Y passengers into PP, it will move them out if and when it sells PP as a class of service, as your flight is tomorrow, UA is highly unlikely to start selling PP between now and then.
They let me keep my seat and I quite liked it. There was no separate catering or upgraded amenities. The bulkhead row is definitely the way to go, even if the tray and TV are in the armrest. I don't think I would pay much more for this seat as it doesn't have enough recline or leg support. It will be interesting to see whether people are willing to pay for this upgraded seat.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by prncess674
They let me keep my seat and I quite liked it. There was no separate catering or upgraded amenities. The bulkhead row is definitely the way to go, even if the tray and TV are in the armrest. I don't think I would pay much more for this seat as it doesn't have enough recline or leg support. It will be interesting to see whether people are willing to pay for this upgraded seat.
I've found leg support to be better in the non-bulkhead. It seems kinda pointless in the bulkhead from my (limited) twice I've been in PP bulkhead.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BThumme
I've found leg support to be better in the non-bulkhead. It seems kinda pointless in the bulkhead from my (limited) twice I've been in PP bulkhead.
The main reason I would select the bulkhead is the fact that you don't have to climb over another person or have someone climb over you to get out. The footrest seemed rather useless in the regular and non bulkhead seat. People around me in the non bulkhead seats didn't even seem to use the footrest.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Keeping the foil on the main dish is nice since it keeps it warm while eating the salad

I've flow this configuration a few times now, both bulkhead and non-bulkhead. As a taller person (~ 6' 4'') they both have their benefits as the nonbulkhead allows you to put your feet under the seat in front of you while the bulkhead feels more open. I usually am slightly inclined nowadays for non-bulkhead since you can watch the tv during takeoff and landing.

Another nicer thing about the NH premium eco is that you get the business class dessert and alcohol... a nice touch!
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Flew this seat finally from SFO-IAD earlier this week. The leg rest added zero value to me, the footrest I used for a few minutes at a time on a couple of occasions just for a change. The tray table was sloping significantly downwards from the hinge, and I noticed a surprising amount of wear and tear on armrests in particular (check the corners next time you fly).

However with all that said, I found it to be a very comfortable seat for 4.5 hours - as others have said it's basically a nice domestic first seat, with a solid integrated IFE. Will work for me for any flight that I don't need to sleep on. Which, based out of SFO, is pretty much domestic only :-)
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
Keeping the foil on the main dish is nice since it keeps it warm while eating the salad

I've flow this configuration a few times now, both bulkhead and non-bulkhead. As a taller person (~ 6' 4'') they both have their benefits as the nonbulkhead allows you to put your feet under the seat in front of you while the bulkhead feels more open. I usually am slightly inclined nowadays for non-bulkhead since you can watch the tv during takeoff and landing.

Another nicer thing about the NH premium eco is that you get the business class dessert and alcohol... a nice touch!
That's a solid synopsis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.