Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs - preview 12 May, opening 18 May 2022?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Opening18 May 2022?

Print Wikipost

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs - preview 12 May, opening 18 May 2022?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
While they may change the upper level configuration, i think the glass arrivals hall that runs along the sides upstairs would prevent that, with the club looking through it to look outside. But again, this looks like the biggest construction project since the Polaris build so anything is possible.

During UAs hardhat tour of the BOS lounge build, they said they had future plans to open outside but I don't think it ever happened.
Oddly enough I seem to recall that about the BOS club. I wonder why they shelved it but I would assume having something to do with the fact that UA and Massport were in a major rush to consolidate the UA and CO operations so they could let JetBlue have the legacy UA gates in C. IIRC, they actually built this consolidated and gorgeous 10 gate space relatively quickly.

Truth be told, UA doesn't focus on the outdoor club space nearly enough as compared to say DL. I think the only UA club with any outdoor space is LAX at this point.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by jp12687
one note is gates c125-128 are crammed into a funnel now by this construction...
Gate 125 is one horrible gate anyway...and now made even worse?
manstein58 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
I had the opportunity last week to see the construction in C3. To say that it is huge is an understatement. I would guesstimate that about 1/3 of the original floor space has been swallowed by the new structure going up. They have totally eliminated the right walkway where the main walkway used to split.

Here are some images.

This is going to be one spectacular club. I assume they will close and remodel the ratty C1 lounge once this opens. Probably will take them 5 years LOL.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, EWR764 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by elitefreak
Here are some images.
Awesome, thanks for those pics!

This is going to be one spectacular club.
It will be especially spectacular for the first few months after opening, before all the infamous United cuts kick in!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I had the opportunity last week to see the construction in C3. To say that it is huge is an understatement. I would guesstimate that about 1/3 of the original floor space has been swallowed by the new structure going up. They have totally eliminated the right walkway where the main walkway used to split.
So the what-were-they-thinking reincarnation of CBGBs is gone? That would be a change any rock fan could appreciate, even if they never set foot in the new UC.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by DCA writer
So the what-were-they-thinking reincarnation of CBGBs is gone? That would be a change any rock fan could appreciate, even if they never set foot in the new UC.
The meatball joint was pretty good and will be missed
seanp7 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: United Gold
I have no inside info but I doubt the club is two levels, I assume the main club will be up on level 2, with access of course from the first level (eg elevator or escalator). Thus I would guess most of the first floor will return as terminal space

someone mentioned it being a shame this is going in C3 instead of C2. Agreed that C2 would be more central but C3 has much more vertical room to work with,I think, compared to C2 - which means less heavy construction. also had this obvious space hole to work with for both construction downtime and the final club. Dont think there are similar spots available in C2.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hscottm
I have no inside info but I doubt the club is two levels, I assume the main club will be up on level 2, with access of course from the first level (eg elevator or escalator). Thus I would guess most of the first floor will return as terminal space

someone mentioned it being a shame this is going in C3 instead of C2. Agreed that C2 would be more central but C3 has much more vertical room to work with,I think, compared to C2 - which means less heavy construction. also had this obvious space hole to work with for both construction downtime and the final club. Dont think there are similar spots available in C2.
C2 = C101-C115 pier?

If C1 is the C70-C99 gates, then once the C3 UC is finished, the option remains to close and gut and remodel the C74 club. Hopefully a few of those massive dust bunnies get exterminated.

David
EWR764 and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
It would be nice if UA built a small UC in C2, but I dont think thatll ever happen - not enough real estate. I do wish they had contemplated building a UC above the security checkpoints - which was supposed to be the original location of the Polaris lounge - but I guess tha never panned out for whatever reason.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
It would be nice if UA built a small UC in C2, but I dont think thatll ever happen - not enough real estate.
I think there was a President's Club in C-2 a long time ago before C-3 and what is now the Polaris Lounge were built.
wxguy likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
It would be nice if UA built a small UC in C2, but I dont think thatll ever happen - not enough real estate. I do wish they had contemplated building a UC above the security checkpoints - which was supposed to be the original location of the Polaris lounge - but I guess tha never panned out for whatever reason.
Continental had President's Clubs by gate 102 (now an office) and by Gate 110 at different times in the 80's and 90's.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and wxguy like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I think there was a President's Club in C-2 a long time ago before C-3 and what is now the Polaris Lounge were built.
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
Continental had President's Clubs by gate 102 (now an office) and by Gate 110 at different times in the 80's and 90's.
Correct. Wasn't too bad, especially as almost all my Ireland flights left from C2.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
N.B. for EWR travelers assigned to gates 125-128 for the foreseeable future... holdrooms, boarding lanes and podiums (podia?) are now shoehorned into a narrow, closed-end corridor at the far end of C-3. During the evening push, there could be as many as 3 widebodies departing from these gates simultaneously, and it's a TOTAL free-for-all. That doesn't take into account the possibility of a 77W at gate 138, right next door to 128, but with its own slightly larger holdroom and podium. Plus, you have the 'corral' for gates 134-137 just two doors down, which is a mess under normal circumstances. The outer reaches of the C-3 concourse have quickly morphed into their own Circle of Hell...

My advice would be to get to those gates a little early to scope things out as there will likely be a scrum to fight through, with disoriented pax, competing boarding announcements and miserable gate agents.
narvik and manstein58 like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Feb 19, 2020 at 10:30 am
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
N.B. for EWR travelers assigned to gates 125-128 for the foreseeable future... holdrooms, boarding lanes and podiums (podia?) are now shoehorned into a narrow, closed-end corridor. During the evening push, there could be as many as 3 widebodies departing from these gates simultaneously, and it's a TOTAL free-for-all. That doesn't take into account the possibility of a 77W at gate 138, right next door to 128, but with its own slightly larger holdroom and podium.

My advice would be to get to those gates a little early to scope things out as there will likely be a scrum to fight through, with disoriented pax, competing boarding announcements and miserable gate agents.

Yikes, yikes and more yikes.

Last time I boarded from gate 125 earlier this year it was already a mess, and that was without 126 or 127 being used concurrently.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by EWR764
N.B. for EWR travelers assigned to gates 125-128 for the foreseeable future... holdrooms, boarding lanes and podiums (podia?) are now shoehorned into a narrow, closed-end corridor at the far end of C-3. During the evening push, there could be as many as 3 widebodies departing from these gates simultaneously, and it's a TOTAL free-for-all. That doesn't take into account the possibility of a 77W at gate 138, right next door to 128, but with its own slightly larger holdroom and podium. Plus, you have the 'corral' for gates 134-137 just two doors down, which is a mess under normal circumstances. The outer reaches of the C-3 concourse have quickly morphed into their own Circle of Hell...
So a Garden State edition of IAD C/D, but with a Polaris Lounge already open. Welcome to our world, EWR friends!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.