Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs - preview 12 May, opening 18 May 2022?

Old Mar 25, 22, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Opening18 May 2022?

Print Wikipost

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs - preview 12 May, opening 18 May 2022?

Old Jun 20, 20, 7:52 pm
  #151  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: HNL
Programs: MileagePlus Premier Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
Posts: 139
Unfortunately, I don't think United will do right by its United Club members and install showers, even if there is adequate room.
auandagbug is offline  
Old Jun 21, 20, 2:59 pm
  #152  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by elitefreak View Post
A historic structure?! Really?

My educated guess is that once T1 opens, they can demolish A and build a new facility there to continue the growth. Maybe to replace B? Or even C?
I find it a little odd that they're keeping this historic structure around and demolishing A-1, A-2, and A-3 without any kind of new consolidated concourse gate replacement coming out of the current Terminal A (perhaps where the current A-3 is.) I would imagine there is some space to do it for maybe like 12-15 additional gates? Could be nice opportunity to keep United Express out of Terminal 1 and have it be for the other US carriers so they can continue to expand operations without UA hogging gates up (which we all know they're eventually going to do once it opens.)
LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER is offline  
Old Jun 21, 20, 5:20 pm
  #153  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 8,913
Originally Posted by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER View Post
I find it a little odd that they're keeping this historic structure around and demolishing A-1, A-2, and A-3 without any kind of new consolidated concourse gate replacement coming out of the current Terminal A (perhaps where the current A-3 is.) I would imagine there is some space to do it for maybe like 12-15 additional gates? Could be nice opportunity to keep United Express out of Terminal 1 and have it be for the other US carriers so they can continue to expand operations without UA hogging gates up (which we all know they're eventually going to do once it opens.)
No chance. United is the largest T1 tenant by a considerable margin, and it wont be an all-Express operation. Pre-COVID, I believe the plan was to mostly integrate UAX and mainline operations at EWR and grow into a more mainline-heavy mix.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Jul 5, 20, 12:19 pm
  #154  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CLE
Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Posts: 4,057
EWR C3 concourse new club

Walking around EWR today noticed large area C3 end of concourse building a new club. Looks like 9 gates eliminated to build a new large club. C124-128 and C136-C139. Can United afford to loose all these gates not for the current situation. These were nice gates. The hike from A where UA has many gates is a hike. Maybe a club should have been part of the C3 design on next level.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Jul 5, 20 at 12:32 pm
buckeyefanflyer is offline  
Old Jul 5, 20, 2:40 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CLE
Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Posts: 4,057
Originally Posted by SteveHK View Post
No - the whole company only has a handful of capital projects ongoing (mostly essential and/or pre-funded ones). Unfortunately, EWR C3 club isn't one of them
Was there there today construction going on.
buckeyefanflyer is offline  
Old Jul 5, 20, 2:49 pm
  #156  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 33,554
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
Walking around EWR today noticed large area C3 end of concourse building a new club. Looks like 9 gates eliminated to build a new large club. C124-128 and C136-C139. Can United afford to loose all these gates not for the current situation. These were nice gates. The hike from A where UA has many gates is a hike. Maybe a club should have been part of the C3 design on next level.
Those gates may be blocked off right now due to construction and low demand, but they certainly are nt being eliminated.
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 10:56 am
  #157  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: EWR
Programs: UA 1.6MM 1K, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond, Presidential Plus card holder
Posts: 575
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Those gates may be blocked off right now due to construction and low demand, but they certainly are nt being eliminated.
I agree. It does make me wonder if the access to these gates will include a seating area under the new club (I expect this) or if there will be some narrowed access. I have not seen the plans, but it would keep me amused during these interesting times to contemplate what it will be like.
8MiHi is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 3:48 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BOS<>NYC<>BKK
Programs: UA 4.2MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Posts: 4,226
Originally Posted by 8MiHi View Post
I agree. It does make me wonder if the access to these gates will include a seating area under the new club (I expect this) or if there will be some narrowed access. I have not seen the plans, but it would keep me amused during these interesting times to contemplate what it will be like.
I believe these gates are temporarily blocked to allow construction of the escalators/stairs/elevators.
8MiHi likes this.
wxguy is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 4:36 pm
  #159  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
I believe these gates are temporarily blocked to allow construction of the escalators/stairs/elevators.
It's my understanding UA was building the new club above the gates (like how the C-74 club is set up), so probably a temporary block off of sorts.

C-3 is prime real estate at EWR and especially used for security screening for the TLV flights. I would doubt they would give that up. It's also the youngest concourse in C that only opened in 2002.
8MiHi likes this.
LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER is offline  
Old Jul 27, 20, 11:26 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,811
Just FYI Forgot to post here when I was traveling but C125 through C128 are definitely accessible during the construction.
narvik and 8MiHi like this.
edcho is offline  
Old Jul 28, 20, 5:31 pm
  #161  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 33,554

This is a view f the concourse from near gate C130 ... the blocked off area is huge. It's going to be a BIG club!
narvik, 8MiHi and DCFlyIAD like this.
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Jul 29, 20, 7:27 am
  #162  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 8,913
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post

This is a view f the concourse from near gate C130 ... the blocked off area is huge. It's going to be a BIG club!
Here's the question... what is going to open first? The C-3 club or the Terminal 1 complex?!

Sadly, I feel the new EWR Terminal C club will suffer the same fate as the LAX UC. Ambitious plans, with quality "hard" amenities (e.g., showers) that are ultimately sacrificed for cost savings, leaving a pleasant, but slightly less-competitive product for years to come...
EWR764 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 20, 10:23 am
  #163  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, AVIS PC
Posts: 4,986
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Sadly, I feel the new EWR Terminal C club will suffer the same fate as the LAX UC. Ambitious plans, with quality "hard" amenities (e.g., showers) that are ultimately sacrificed for cost savings, leaving a pleasant, but slightly less-competitive product for years to come...
THAT sums up pretty much everything positive United has ever done in the last 10+ years; e.g. the Polaris in-flight experience, and Polaris lounges immediately come to mind.
EWR764 likes this.
narvik is offline  
Old Jul 29, 20, 10:53 am
  #164  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 8,913
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
THAT sums up pretty much everything positive United has ever done in the last 10+ years; e.g. the Polaris in-flight experience, and Polaris lounges immediately come to mind.
True... but the ebbs and flows of soft product are to be expected. Decisions made pertaining to major capital projects are really tough to undo!
narvik likes this.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 20, 10:08 am
  #165  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 62,323
posted on airliners.net
Originally Posted by VC10er
I was on my way through EWR to LA, I departed from the concourse to the far left of the Polaris lounge. There are enormous plastic (floor to ceiling) construction barriers made of a very think plastic curtain, exactly where the elevator/escalators would be to the new rooftop United Club. And there was quite a bit of construction noise.
I would have assumed UA put a hold on the construction of that (rumored) big glass lounge, but has UA decided to keep going so its built and ready in a couple of years?. ...
narvik likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread