Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs - preview 12 May, opening 18 May 2022?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Opening18 May 2022?

Print Wikipost

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs - preview 12 May, opening 18 May 2022?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Will be interesting to see how it progresses. I hope they did not close down the OTC whiskey bar/lounge further down in C3 - has the best drinks in Terminal C IMO. I also wonder if there will be any views - and if there’s any chance at all they build an outdoor deck.
While they may change the upper level configuration, i think the glass arrivals hall that runs along the sides upstairs would prevent that, with the club looking through it to look outside. But again, this looks like the biggest construction project since the Polaris build so anything is possible.

During UAs hardhat tour of the BOS lounge build, they said they had future plans to open outside but I don't think it ever happened.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by manstein58
Meatball joint gone the way of Nineveh and Tyre. Was also told new club will have 20(!!!) showers
I’ll believe it when it’s in a PR announcement.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I'll believe it if there are showers when the UC actually opens. Given history of PR announcements and overenthustastic marketeers as well as the guaranteed over run in both cost and schedule of _anything_ built under PANYNJ at EWR, there's never a guarantee.

And even after showers "might" be installed, the elimination of showers at the C130 club and then the taking of the club to become EWR Polaris means nothing is guaranteed. Especially at EWR.

Ever.

David
EWR764 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DELee
I'll believe it if there are showers when the UC actually opens. Given history of PR announcements and overenthustastic marketeers as well as the guaranteed over run in both cost and schedule of _anything_ built under PANYNJ at EWR, there's never a guarantee.

And even after showers "might" be installed, the elimination of showers at the C130 club and then the taking of the club to become EWR Polaris means nothing is guaranteed. Especially at EWR.

Ever.

David
A fair thing to say. When I went to the Polaris announcement party at EWR in 2016, they did not even know for sure where the Polaris lounge would be. The only thing I heard from UA reps at the time was that it would be above the C3 security checkpoint (which has been closed forever, now that I think about it). When it comes to showers in domestic UCs, I am highly skeptical since they have been moving away from that.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
When it comes to showers in domestic UCs, I am highly skeptical since they have been moving away from that.
That's a bit of an understatement. They actively removed showers from all US UCs.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
As with all things United, skeptical is the way to bet. I was relaying what I was told; will be largest UC in network and will resemble LAX Club
elitefreak likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
UA originally made a PR announcement that there would be showers in the LAX UC.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
the status quo - then & now

I visited both the pop-up & the old UC lounge @ Gate 74 this week. Why are they so close together?
A UA agent told me (with a straight face) the reason is because there is very limited space available @ EWR. Which I take to mean that UA does not have access to any more space!
Terminal One is (at least) three years away. Can UA continue to expand flights out of EWR with one lounge & one pop-up?
The pop-up has decent snacks (pita chips, potato salad, bean salad, pop in cans) Interestingly, the snacks are all pre-packaged i.e. designed to compete with take out? Reminded me of the old AC landside lounge @ LGA!
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I visited both the pop-up & the old UC lounge @ Gate 74 this week. Why are they so close together?
A UA agent told me (with a straight face) the reason is because there is very limited space available @ EWR. Which I take to mean that UA does not have access to any more space!
Terminal One is (at least) three years away. Can UA continue to expand flights out of EWR with one lounge & one pop-up?
The pop-up has decent snacks (pita chips, potato salad, bean salad, pop in cans) Interestingly, the snacks are all pre-packaged i.e. designed to compete with take out? Reminded me of the old AC landside lounge @ LGA!
Look for the new C3 UC currently starting construction and Terminal One is supposed to start opening for business in 2021 per the briefing book. When I was in the Terminal A UC 8 days ago, it appeared that the construction on the terminal was moving along smartly.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SS255
UA originally made a PR announcement that there would be showers in the LAX UC.
Ouch.

David

p.s. And it never rains in Southern California too
SS255 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by DELee
Ouch.

David

p.s. And it never rains in Southern California too
The showers were a "Project Quality" cut. In fact, significant engineering work went in to revising showers OUT of the LAX club. Glad to hear (even if just a rumor) that United has reversed course on this uncompetitive product decision for the upcoming EWR lounge.

Reportedly, this will be the largest United Club in the system.
Xyzzy and 8MiHi like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:21 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
The elimination of showers at UCs at United's international hubs is one of the most short-sighted and stupid decisions that United has ever made. After flying more than 8 hours, the showers at the EWR main UC (before it was converted to a Polaris Lounge) was one of the few things which made a EWR layover bearable. As United continues to devalue MileagePlus and UC membership, especially for long haul flyers, I've given up hope of United doing the right thing for its customers, but at least with my UC membership, I can take advantage of showers at Star Alliance clubs when flying internationally.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by auandagbug
The elimination of showers at UCs at United's international hubs is one of the most short-sighted and stupid decisions that United has ever made. After flying more than 8 hours, the showers at the EWR main UC (before it was converted to a Polaris Lounge) was one of the few things which made a EWR layover bearable. As United continues to devalue MileagePlus and UC membership, especially for long haul flyers, I've given up hope of United doing the right thing for its customers, but at least with my UC membership, I can take advantage of showers at Star Alliance clubs when flying internationally.
Well, if flying Polaris and connecting at EWR one still has access to showers. The change is that UA wants us to fork over $/PP for Polaris. I agree - it was a huge dwngrade.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:50 am

I was down in this area the other day. To say the new space is huge is an understatement. If it’s actually two floors...wow it’s big.

i still question the location as it still leaves the middle concourse drastically underserved by clubs.

one note is gates c125-128 are crammed into a funnel now by this construction. Makes access really difficult
narvik and manstein58 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Well, if flying Polaris and connecting at EWR one still has access to showers. The change is that UA wants us to fork over $/PP for Polaris. I agree - it was a huge dwngrade.
The lack of showers in the EWR UC’s is not going to entice customers to purchase J on SFO/LAX redeyes to the New York area. I think this is the biggest fail in UA’s short-sighted decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.