Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
My wife was in F via RPU and received the text and email.
Well, there goes that theory! I guess the inconsistency of UA's IT will remain impenetrable, to my limited mind at least.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Well, there goes that theory! I guess the inconsistency of UA's IT will remain impenetrable, to my limited mind at least.
+1. And, in this case, I was on a paid F ticket + a 1K so the computer must have been it's normal self yesterday...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
My wife was in F via RPU and received the text and email.
past 2 weeks, 1K in first on CPU, rec'd text and more detailed email both times. First week the $100 credit link didn't work. Second week it did. Both times got the $20 food voucher and a snack box.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: UA MP
Anyone experience what would happen if upgraded at the gate? Shouldn't have time to use the $20 voucher
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:50 pm

Traveled EWR -> MCO today (9/9). Got an email/text about the no food service, received $100 ETC or 500 miles, and $20 voucher at the gate.
I'm United Gold, traveling on business class.

I'd take the $100 ETC and $20 voucher over United in-flight meals any day!!! I hope they never fix the EWR kitchen
iluv2fly and perkele like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
No hot food out of EWR

Flew out of EWR twice in the last 2 weeks and both times there was no hot food available on the flight. The one time I received compensation as I was in first class, but the other time I was told on the flight whilst in economy. I am a 1K.
1) Does anyone know how long the kitchen at EWR is under maintenance?
2) Am I entitled to any compensation as a 1K for the lack of hot food?
Both of these flights were 4+ hours and I detest the snack boxes United offers instead.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by azfanboy
Flew out of EWR twice in the last 2 weeks and both times there was no hot food available on the flight. The one time I received compensation as I was in first class, but the other time I was told on the flight whilst in economy. I am a 1K.
1) Does anyone know how long the kitchen at EWR is under maintenance?
2) Am I entitled to any compensation as a 1K for the lack of hot food?
Both of these flights were 4+ hours and I detest the snack boxes United offers instead.
Confused here. Why would you expect compensation if you were in Y?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Confused here. Why would you expect compensation if you were in Y?
Well, 1Ks and GS are "entitled" to hot entree and a drink when traveling in Y.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:27 pm

I looked for a reference to this. Can you provide one?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Don't beleive it is stated as a hot item but rather Choice Menu item
Complimentary Food & Beverage for Global Services & 1K Members when Seated in Economy
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Don't beleive it is stated as a hot item but rather Choice Menu item
Complimentary Food & Beverage for Global Services & 1K Members when Seated in Economy
Thank you. That's what I believed it to be.
Asking for comp is really pushing it, almost ridiculous. Hope it isn't given.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Thank you. That's what I believed it to be.
Asking for comp is really pushing it, almost ridiculous. Hope it isn't given.
Comp Choice Menu item for GS/1K encompasses hot food, when boarded.

FYI, "Choice Menu" is the entire onboard dining program for domestic Y. "Bistro On Board" is the more substantial "meals" on flights of >3.5h during meal windows, "Snack Shop" is snack boxes and smaller items on flights of >1.5h in duration (no meal windows).
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Comp Choice Menu item for GS/1K encompasses hot food, when boarded.

FYI, "Choice Menu" is the entire onboard dining program for domestic Y. "Bistro On Board" is the more substantial "meals" on flights of >3.5h during meal windows, "Snack Shop" is snack boxes and smaller items on flights of >1.5h in duration (no meal windows).
So if it's a > 3.5 hour flight, then hot items should be part of the offerings. I don't see why it isn't a service failure when these are not available to "entitled" (over-entitled?) 1Ks and GS?
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So if it's a > 3.5 hour flight, then hot items should be part of the offerings. I don't see why it isn't a service failure when these are not available to "entitled" (over-entitled?) 1Ks and GS?
No more than any economy passenger. UA clearly states available varies and limited supplies. So would every economy passenger not being offered a hot item also be entitled to compensation for every UA flight that may have hot items?
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:14 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Not sure if anyone else saw Oscar on CNBC this morning but he was asked directly about the EWR catering issue. He called the lack of domestic catering a "hick up", noted that international flights had "plenty of food". The anchor asked if the rumor of a Listeria outbreak was true to which he gave the most ridiculous non-answer of "there are many things out there, many of which aren't true." providing no additional info/detail. The anchor had flown from EWR > SAN and mentioned that she didn't receive an e-mail notification about the lack of a meal (in what I presume is business) which Oscar said he was having his people "look in to" why she didn't get that notice.

UA PR should keep Oscar off TV in these situations, he really doesn't show particularly well. I think his real value-add is in dealing with labor relations, which is his actual background at previous companies (and a very important topic at UA).
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.