FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1927359-kitchen-issues-ewr-no-hot-food-domestic-f-intl-ps-ok-aug-sept-2018-notice-comp.html)

Brooklyn-LGA-Flyer Aug 26, 2018 9:59 am

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Just received an email from United about tonight's flight

Due to maintenance work being done in our kitchen, the food options on your flight may be limited or unavailable. Snack boxes will be provided in place of our usual meal offerings, and our Newark team will offer you a voucher should you prefer to purchase your own meal prior to boarding. In addition, we would like to give you either a $100 electronic travel certificate or 5000 miles for the inconvenience.
Any ideas what is going on?

JVPhoto Aug 26, 2018 10:13 am

Yes, they are doing maintainence work in the kitchens.

NoLaGent Aug 26, 2018 10:45 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 30131526)

Let's just hope the maintenance work takes less time than it did in DEN.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Aug 26, 2018 10:49 am

Maybe UA's replacing/repairing some large piece of equipment overnight and decided it necessary to inconvenience evening departures in order to do so. Unless I was cramped for time with a short connection at EWR, I'd take the dining voucher(s) and $100 and be thrilled vs UA's dinner catering.

username Aug 26, 2018 11:14 am

I guess I would have imagined a huge kitchen with multiple sets of equipment to make food that doing work on one won't affect production too much...so, this is kind of strange to me.

At least they did this in advance and the offering is actually good for the passenger - if the gate agent knows to do this, there is enough time to get the voucher and buy something.

Brooklyn-LGA-Flyer Aug 26, 2018 11:20 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 30131526)

Thanks for clarifying :) I was a little more interested in why, whether there will be drinks and why they wouldn't just make them earlier in the day and store them.

Maybe UA's replacing/repairing some large piece of equipment overnight and decided it necessary to inconvenience evening departures in order to do so. Unless I was cramped for time with a short connection at EWR, I'd take the dining voucher(s) and $100 and be thrilled vs UA's dinner catering.
I'm quite happy with the voucher and the $100, I am on a very tight RTW/meeting schedule but can find time to grab a sandwich somewhere en-route.

Was just inquisitive in case anyone had any actual details, as this seems an unusual action.

bocastephen Aug 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Actually a smarter gesture would be to offer the F confirmed customers on this or other affected flights access to the Polaris Lounge or that "secret" restaurant - assuming this issue was limited to a small number of flights.

mahasamatman Aug 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by alexbellamy (Post 30131716)
I was a little more interested in why

Because every piece of machinery requires periodic cleaning, maintenance, and replacement.

ExplorerWannabe Aug 26, 2018 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 30131622)
Let's just hope the maintenance work takes less time than it did in DEN.

Given the food options I've seen and the fact they're handing out vouchers to get real food and ETC, I'd hope it took as long or longer if I was flying out of EWR ...

Kacee Aug 26, 2018 8:08 pm

I wonder if other EWR flights are affected?

MatthewLAX Aug 26, 2018 11:17 pm

Too much snark in this thread...

i would appreciate such an option on every UA flight!

aindfan Aug 27, 2018 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30133156)
I wonder if other EWR flights are affected?

This morning at EWR, I heard the announcement "If you're traveling in first class and received an email about a voucher, please come see me at the podium" for a flight to SEA and IAH. So that's at least two more.

tarheelnj Aug 27, 2018 6:04 am

I wonder about people that took an upgrade offer at OLCI or even closer to departure. Sounds from the announcement it only applied if you got an email.

Ted Aug 27, 2018 7:32 am

What did they do with long flights... Hong Kong for 14 hours anyone?

Kacee Aug 27, 2018 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Ted (Post 30134590)
What did they do with long flights... Hong Kong for 14 hours anyone?

Two snack boxes or a $20 meal voucher :D