Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist

Just received an email from United about tonight's flight

Due to maintenance work being done in our kitchen, the food options on your flight may be limited or unavailable. Snack boxes will be provided in place of our usual meal offerings, and our Newark team will offer you a voucher should you prefer to purchase your own meal prior to boarding. In addition, we would like to give you either a $100 electronic travel certificate or 5000 miles for the inconvenience.
Any ideas what is going on?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Yes, they are doing maintainence work in the kitchens.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Let's just hope the maintenance work takes less time than it did in DEN.
wrp96 and ecoomer like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe UA's replacing/repairing some large piece of equipment overnight and decided it necessary to inconvenience evening departures in order to do so. Unless I was cramped for time with a short connection at EWR, I'd take the dining voucher(s) and $100 and be thrilled vs UA's dinner catering.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I would have imagined a huge kitchen with multiple sets of equipment to make food that doing work on one won't affect production too much...so, this is kind of strange to me.

At least they did this in advance and the offering is actually good for the passenger - if the gate agent knows to do this, there is enough time to get the voucher and buy something.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Thanks for clarifying I was a little more interested in why, whether there will be drinks and why they wouldn't just make them earlier in the day and store them.

Maybe UA's replacing/repairing some large piece of equipment overnight and decided it necessary to inconvenience evening departures in order to do so. Unless I was cramped for time with a short connection at EWR, I'd take the dining voucher(s) and $100 and be thrilled vs UA's dinner catering.
I'm quite happy with the voucher and the $100, I am on a very tight RTW/meeting schedule but can find time to grab a sandwich somewhere en-route.

Was just inquisitive in case anyone had any actual details, as this seems an unusual action.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Actually a smarter gesture would be to offer the F confirmed customers on this or other affected flights access to the Polaris Lounge or that "secret" restaurant - assuming this issue was limited to a small number of flights.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by alexbellamy
I was a little more interested in why
Because every piece of machinery requires periodic cleaning, maintenance, and replacement.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Let's just hope the maintenance work takes less time than it did in DEN.
Given the food options I've seen and the fact they're handing out vouchers to get real food and ETC, I'd hope it took as long or longer if I was flying out of EWR ...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wonder if other EWR flights are affected?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 26, 2018 at 9:49 pm Reason: unneeded comment removed
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Too much snark in this thread...

i would appreciate such an option on every UA flight!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I wonder if other EWR flights are affected?
This morning at EWR, I heard the announcement "If you're traveling in first class and received an email about a voucher, please come see me at the podium" for a flight to SEA and IAH. So that's at least two more.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I wonder about people that took an upgrade offer at OLCI or even closer to departure. Sounds from the announcement it only applied if you got an email.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:32 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
What did they do with long flights... Hong Kong for 14 hours anyone?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ted
What did they do with long flights... Hong Kong for 14 hours anyone?
Two snack boxes or a $20 meal voucher
iluv2fly, perkele, SFHokie and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.