Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So far the two seem different but we will have to wait and see. We can speculate on FT but that is not going to change the outcome.
Agree on the collective outcome, but the individual outcome could be changed by booking other gateways for long-haul connections until the meals are actually back on all the EWR flights that they're supposed to be on.

I got burned, so to speak, believing UA's tales of a prompt fix in Denver, and booked some flights through there that got "snacked" during the protracted delays in repairing the repairs that went wrong in that flight kitchen listeria removal.

My next flights to/from EWR aren't until November, but they're on AC
No more UA out of EWR for me until this gets fixed.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I'm not going to complain. Between the DEN catering, broken entertainment and now this I've gotten vouchered like crazy.
For a brief moment, I thought you were posting from 2008! We used to get sizable vouchers for all sorts of modest service issues. Now, I haven't had a voucher in several years!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:18 pm

Flying EWR to SMF on 9/6/18. 6 hour flight time. Departing at 7:55pm marked as dinner.

Will report back and let you know if this route is affected once the trip is completed.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PVDProf
For a brief moment, I thought you were posting from 2008! We used to get sizable vouchers for all sorts of modest service issues. Now, I haven't had a
voucher in several years!
I also got 15,000 miles as well from the FA which In didn't notice until I checked my account this weekend so I would certainly forgo food on all my upcoming domestic flights for the same payout.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AugustusM
I also got 15,000 miles as well from the FA which In didn't notice until I checked my account this weekend so I would certainly forgo food on all my upcoming domestic flights for the same payout.
lol - I feel like I got ripped off now - I got 2,500 miles....
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:35 pm

Wife (who is silver) just received the text for our flight tomorrow EWR to SMF. Received $100 voucher and option to get either food voucher from gate agent or on board snack box.

Myself didnt receive any text/email. I am just a general member.

Interesting we are on the same PNR. Will let you know how they handle my situation at the airport tomorrow.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
Wife (who is silver) just received the text for our flight tomorrow EWR to SMF. Received $100 voucher and option to get either food voucher from gate agent or on board snack box.

Myself didnt receive any text/email. I am just a general member.

Interesting we are on the same PNR. Will let you know how they handle my situation at the airport tomorrow.
Had a similar situation this weekend. I'm Platinum and my husband is a general member who didn't receive the text/email. You should be able to use the same link she received to request your $100 certificate. Ask the gate agent for the vouchers and show both of your boarding passes. Each of us got a $20 voucher and the FAs handed out snack boxes without using their iPads or asking whether we got the vouchers instead.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by pears
Had a similar situation this weekend. I'm Platinum and my husband is a general member who didn't receive the text/email. You should be able to use the same link she received to request your $100 certificate. Ask the gate agent for the vouchers and show both of your boarding passes. Each of us got a $20 voucher and the FAs handed out snack boxes without using their iPads or asking whether we got the vouchers instead.
Thanks for the reply! I will write in using the link after the flight if I dont receive compensation at the airport tomorrow.

Question, do you think I can go to a customer service desk to get the voucher? Usually the GA doesnt arrive to the podium until 30 minutes before boarding and I rather not be rushed while eating.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
Thanks for the reply! I will write in using the link after the flight if I dont receive compensation at the airport tomorrow.

Question, do you think I can go to a customer service desk to get the voucher? Usually the GA doesnt arrive to the podium until 30 minutes before boarding and I rather not be rushed while eating.
I'll defer to someone more experienced, but I don't see any harm in at least trying. The GA who issued our vouchers was really confused about how to get them from the system, so it ended up taking almost 10 minutes just to receive them.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:33 pm

I went to the customer service counter near gate C103. Told them I received the message and she printed out $20 vouchers within 5 minutes.

Made a reservation at Classified where they honored the voucher.

I would probably choose this experience over in flight dining anyday
iluv2fly and pears like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:03 am

Second week in a row no food!

This is the best deal ever, free upgrade, then getting $100 Travel Voucher, $20 Food Voucher, and a snack box! I've got the same flight the next 5 weeks so hoping to amass $700 in ETC's, and a nice amount of fat from the extra snacks!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
1K here, zero advance notice for my EWR-IAH flight yesterday at the gate or onboard before departure. Completely forgot about this thread until the FA came around for what I thought was meal orders until she told us there was no food catered and that we should have received a notification. Fired off a note to 1Kvoice requesting some sort of compensation. I realize the flight distance is much shorter than EWR-SEA/SMF mentioned upthread but it's more about the lack of any prior communication to me.

Edit: forgot to mention, guy next to me was a GM and head him tell the FA he did receive the proactive text or email of some sort along with compensation. Great job, UA.

Edit 2: and yes, UA has all of my contact info, I'm signed up to receive texts with flight updates, etc. Seems like typical UA IT.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
Has anybody had food issues with flights to EWR? I’m booked on Monday’s OKC-EWR with an upgrade. My outbound flight was via IAH, which also had no hot food items (I found out when I requested a free 1K meal) but I guess compensation is offered only to passengers in First...
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE

Edit: forgot to mention, guy next to me was a GM and head him tell the FA he did receive the proactive text or email of some sort along with compensation. Great job, UA.

I wonder whether the advance notice only goes to paid F ticket holders? I didn't get advance notice either, but was traveling on a RPU. Perhaps the computer doesn't "see" the upgrade as a category to send the proactive email or text? That would explain why lowly GMs who bought F get the notice while us high flying 1Ks with upgrades are left in the dark.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder whether the advance notice only goes to paid F ticket holders? I didn't get advance notice either, but was traveling on a RPU. Perhaps the computer doesn't "see" the upgrade as a category to send the proactive email or text? That would explain why lowly GMs who bought F get the notice while us high flying 1Ks with upgrades are left in the dark.
My wife was in F via RPU and received the text and email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.