Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
no vouchers for my wife and MIL on their flights this week, but they did receive the $100 ETC. Could have been handles better by UA.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
no vouchers for my wife and MIL on their flights this week, but they did receive the $100 ETC. Could have been handles better by UA.
Was $100 ETC issued automatically or did you need to request it?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA MP
I am going to assume Intl/PS flights are unaffected because perhaps they are flying in/ catering food from other kitchens?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Maybe United's leadership was inspired by the scene from "Curb Your Enthusiasm" when it came to communicating about a disturbance in the kitchen?

Halo117 and PV_Premier like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
My wife's flight today EWR-AUS was catered normally in First: choice of chicken salad or beef brisket with sweet potatoes and collard greens. She had the latter and said it was delicious.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
Was $100 ETC issued automatically or did you need to request it?
automatic
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My EWR-FLL flight had a choice of calzone or cheese plate in F. I asked the FA about the EWR kitchen issues and he felt it affected only the longer flights such as transcons (but not PS) that were affected. So international, PS and shorter domestic flights have food but flights like EWR-SEA do not.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Have a flight in first today, EWR - PHX, clocked at 5 hours 13 minutes before 8PM. Can I expect a hot meal? Haven't seen any notification from United and calling the 1K line for more information did not help.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by transportprof
Maybe United's leadership was inspired by the scene from "Curb Your Enthusiasm" when it came to communicating about a disturbance in the kitchen?

A Disturbance in the Kitchen
you are my hero for referring to this.
JonIND and Supima like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:42 am

The food was back this morning on my flight so I would expect the maintenance is finished.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Any new updates in the past couple days? Has this issue been fully resolved?

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My 7:35 PM EWR-PDX flight on 22 Sep offered a choice of pasta or chicken, a tiny salad and a pretzel roll. I was looking forward to the ice cream sundae but no desert was offered at all on this six hour transcon.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
legal proceedings reveal serious claims of mismanagement

View from the Wing posted the CNBC link below that sheds much light on the EWR catering snafu that went public during the late summer, and which impacted my EWR-PDX flight in late August.

Now that I read the extent of the contamination, and the seriousness of the health code violations at Chelsea's Cooler 7, I'm glad there was no fresh food on my flight!

None of these allegations have been tested in court, but it will be interesting to see how United defends itself from these claims:

United Airlines mishandled listeria contamination, endangering travelers, lawsuits claim

I will eat in the Polaris Lounge or elsewhere at EWR after reading this story rather than risk the on-board meals.

Talk about a "disturbance in the kitchen" .... (see my post # 94)
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The article talks a lot about deferred maintenance and run-down conditions in the EWR kitchen. I know the facility is due to be closed and relocated to a new building on the north side of the airport in connection with the new Terminal 1 development. Things must have gotten pretty bad if the company is taking extensive remedial measures now to address the issues inside the current kitchen...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.