Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by transportprof
So if it's a > 3.5 hour flight, then hot items should be part of the offerings. I don't see why it isn't a service failure when these are not available to "entitled" (over-entitled?) 1Ks and GS?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No more than any economy passenger. UA clearly states available varies and limited supplies. So would every economy passenger not being offered a hot item also be entitled to compensation for every UA flight that may have hot items?
I think those caveats would sink any attempt at comp. UA isn't delivering a published benefit of the product *at all* (in the case of F meals) while it's just the hot food, rather than the shelf-stable Y items, that areavailable in the back. GS/1K are of course entitled to snack boxes too.

Last edited by EWR764; Sep 10, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

So if a 1K/GS were seated in the last row of E+ and the FA told him/her that all the hot items were taken by the passengers in front of them, does anyone think that he/she would be entitled to comp?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
So if a 1K/GS were seated in the last row of E+ and the FA told him/her that all the hot items were taken by the passengers in front of them, does anyone think that he/she would be entitled to comp?
A 1K or GS should know by now that if they they care more about getting a free hot food item than sitting in the exit row they should sit closer to the front.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
No more than any economy passenger. UA clearly states available varies and limited supplies. So would every economy passenger not being offered a hot item also be entitled to compensation for every UA flight that may have hot items?
I think that every Y pax who wanted to/planned to buy a hot meal on these flights but was blindsided by the kitchen closure deserves some consideration. The only thing we know for sure with GS and 1Ks is that they are given first priority on these items (in my experience) and thus plan accordingly. I would not have bought a meal in the terminal if I was taking a >3.5 hour flight in Y and would be expecting a hot sandwich or something similar - unless I had been informed in advance of the "disturbance in the kitchen".

UA has chosen not to publicize this disruption, except to selected F pax (and I was in F in late August and didn't get the email about the disruption then, either). so they should expect some Y pax to feel like there was a service failure. Do they want those pax to go away mad, or just to go away?

I'm not saying they should get the same comp as F pax, but they deserve something - if they were left hungry through lack of communication on this matter which United demonstrates that it is capable of at least to some pax, some of the time.

Last edited by transportprof; Sep 10, 2018 at 5:04 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
Comp Choice Menu item for GS/1K encompasses hot food, when boarded.

FYI, "Choice Menu" is the entire onboard dining program for domestic Y. "Bistro On Board" is the more substantial "meals" on flights of >3.5h during meal windows, "Snack Shop" is snack boxes and smaller items on flights of >1.5h in duration (no meal windows).
And it also states "subject to availability on your flight".
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by erickliu
Anyone experience what would happen if upgraded at the gate? Shouldn't have time to use the $20 voucher
Use the voucher upon arrival at destination, that is what I did the first week when they didn't know how to deal with the situation and vouchers were given just before boarding.

Also the expiration is the month and year, although I got my first one on 8/31, so made sure to use it upon arrival at ORD.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by villox
A 1K or GS should know by now that if they they care more about getting a free hot food item than sitting in the exit row they should sit closer to the front.
Perhaps 1K/GS tend to book tickets last minute or do SDC so E+ seats near the front are already occupied? Perhaps the entire E+ section is full?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is EWR-HNL fight ok with catering as it is ps service?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
Is EWR-HNL fight ok with catering as it is ps service?
EWR-HNL is not PS or Premium Transcon service. It is a regular domestic flight with lie-flat Domestic F seats.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EWR-HNL is not PS or Premium Transcon service. It is a regular domestic flight with lie-flat Domestic F seats.
Oh, didn't realize this. So, no hot meals on EWR-HNL F? I have a booking next week.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 11, 2018 at 2:38 am
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by TerryK
Oh, didn't realize this. So, no hot meals on EWR-HNL F? I have a booking next week.
I have a flight this Friday ... this would be a major problem if no hot meals on a 13 hour flight
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Just spoke to the Cust Service desk. They mentioned the refrigerator system being upgraded is the size of a building. Seems like the bacterial contamination is forcing an unplanned upgrade to a large piece of infrastructure. This may take some time...
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Just spoke to the Cust Service desk. They mentioned the refrigerator system being upgraded is the size of a building. Seems like the bacterial contamination is forcing an unplanned upgrade to a large piece of infrastructure. This may take some time...
This is starting to sound more and more like Denver.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by transportprof
This is starting to sound more and more like Denver.
I have been watching this from afar, as the chances that I would willingly fly UA via EWR are practically zero. I am struck though how ham handed their response has been (as with DEN) in handling the passengers (first class, either paid, or having sufficient status to get upgraded) that UA should not want to PO.

United could have arranged a different food supplier - which would have cost more $$$, so that was out.

United could have been honest about the situation, put a team on making sure that notifications went out, and given notice to everyone well in advance, as well as compensation. But that would have taken management competence and a culture that values providing good service. So that was out.

The idea that United will just not have anything but snack boxes on TCON/ong flights in First, for a week, let along months as it appears, is really a reflection of the poor culture of service that has become ingrained in UA's DNA after Jeff and his minions took over. The response of the CNBC host to what is going on (being upset that on a EWR-SAN flight they got snack boxes) is reflective of what most passengers will feel (outside of the few FTers who would rather figure out a way to get a $100 voucher). They don't want a $20 voucher - perhaps not given in time to eat before the flight - they are busy/successful people and want to be fed on a long flight.
artvandalay and COSPILOT like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by spin88
I have been watching this from afar, as the chances that I would willingly fly UA via EWR are practically zero. I am struck though how ham handed their response has been (as with DEN) in handling the passengers (first class, either paid, or having sufficient status to get upgraded) that UA should not want to PO.
United could have been honest about the situation, put a team on making sure that notifications went out, and given notice to everyone well in advance, as well as compensation. But that would have taken management competence and a culture that values providing good service. So that was out.

The idea that United will just not have anything but snack boxes on TCON/ong flights in First, for a week, let along months as it appears, is really a reflection of the poor culture of service that has become ingrained in UA's DNA after Jeff and his minions took over.
I can't remember any time when two UA hub kitchens were shut down in the same year. The fact that Oscar Munoz referred to this EWR debacle as "a hickup" just opens the door for speculation about possible UA plans for future inflight "service." Think of all the money that could be saved/made if not for those pesky ovens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.