Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by cfischer

Monday? Don’t worry, it’s probably going to switch back anyway

say it ain’t so!! 🤪
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Additional data point - I have a TATL coming up in two days that just got the new config - I was in 21D and got booted to 32D, someone else was given 21D Fortunately there were still a few seats open in 20-22 so I immediately moved myself to 21K, will be watching it like a hawk the next couple of days.

Was in a paid E+ seat (was Silver at time of booking), so apparently paying vs complimentary doesn't have any bearing.

***UPDATE***

Six hours later it changed back to the old config - was booted again, this time to a middle (was able to change it to something better thankfully). Watch it switch back before the end of the day

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2018 at 9:41 am Reason: merging update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
UA930 4 DEC switched to the new config from about Sunday (well that's when I checked). So a couple of things I noticed on the last couple of flights that happened to be the new config - neither on the app or on the screen display at the gate did it show any upgrades getting processed (ie. you see passenger name and then the seat #) although I was standing near the desk and heard 2 upgrades and 1 standby pax being processed, but the app and the screen never changed. Second point is that one lady processed a TOD upgrade to PP, I do not know if she was originally in E or E+ but she moved to a PP window seat, she was offered ~$191 for an aisle seat, ~$181 for a window seat. Make of that what you will.

But my feeling with all this is that although the seats are nicer, I like the little cabin, the fact that the food is exactly the same and that there are too few toilets means that this just feels like E++ and not a premium experience. That said I would rather be sitting there than the crap that is E+ now.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:41 pm

Help: Ref Interim 772 seat map

We are flying on a 777-200 between IAD and LHR in Jun 2019 and after reading the forum on all the possible changes to the 777-200 I am wondering if booking seats 20AB will be window/aisle in all of the configurations? Currently it shows 20CandH blocked out as well as 21 and 22B and all F seats. I understand this is supposed to cover all options but is there any scenario where row 20 is 3 3 3? Thank you
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by luvdisnee
We are flying on a 777-200 between IAD and LHR in Jun 2019 and after reading the forum on all the possible changes to the 777-200 I am wondering if booking seats 20AB will be window/aisle in all of the configurations? Currently it shows 20CandH blocked out as well as 21 and 22B and all F seats. I understand this is supposed to cover all options but is there any scenario where row 20 is 3 3 3? Thank you
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

First question: Have you already booked your ticket and chosen those seats? Starting December 3, for flights in June 2019 those seats are sold as Premium Plus so if you booked those seats prior to December 3 and paid an Economy fare, there are good chances that you will get booted out of those seats. If you pay for the Premium Plus seats after December 3, you have good chances that you will have an aisle and window in Row 20.

However, there's still the wrinkle that they might substitute your plane with a pmCO 772 which can be 3-3-3. And Row 20 is not a bulkhead. Most probably that will not happen but it was just announced that ORD that did not have the pmCO planes will start getting them so who knows about IAD.

I suggest that if you purchase the Premium Plus seats, you take a screen shot of the price in Economy. For if something happens and you find yourself in an Economy seat you get a proper reimbursement of the price difference.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:12 pm

Thank you for your quick response and the welcome! I originally booked as regular economy and have just upgraded today to Econ Plus. Premium Plus seats are currently not an option. I am hoping that we will get window/aisle and figured booking 20AB was a safe bet unless there is a 777-200 configuration that adds a C seat. Called UA, absolutely no help there.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

First question: Have you already booked your ticket and chosen those seats? Starting December 3, for flights in June 2019 those seats are sold as Premium Plus so if you booked those seats prior to December 3 and paid an Economy fare, there are good chances that you will get booted out of those seats. If you pay for the Premium Plus seats after December 3, you have good chances that you will have an aisle and window in Row 20.

However, there's still the wrinkle that they might substitute your plane with a pmCO 772 which can be 3-3-3. And Row 20 is not a bulkhead. Most probably that will not happen but it was just announced that ORD that did not have the pmCO planes will start getting them so who knows about IAD.

I suggest that if you purchase the Premium Plus seats, you take a screen shot of the price in Economy. For if something happens and you find yourself in an Economy seat you get a proper reimbursement of the price difference.
P+, as a fare class, is not available on all routes. IAD-LHR does not offer it (yet), regardless of the aircraft type. However, there's definitely still a chance that an aircraft swap would result in people being moved out of those seats if a P+-equipped plane is used.

Originally Posted by luvdisnee
Thank you for your quick response and the welcome! I originally booked as regular economy and have just upgraded today to Econ Plus. Premium Plus seats are currently not an option. I am hoping that we will get window/aisle and figured booking 20AB was a safe bet unless there is a 777-200 configuration that adds a C seat. Called UA, absolutely no help there.
There are definitely 777-200 configurations that have 20C. You can see all of the seat maps here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx

Version 3 & 4 are the high-density versions that mostly fly to Hawaii, but Version 2 has a seat 20C; version 5 has no row 20 at all, and they're missing a seatmap for the Premium Plus-equipped plane, which does have a row 20 but which they may not allow you to sit in.

UA treats seat assignments as suggestions, more or less. There's absolutely no way to guarantee that you will have a window/aisle pair. I suggest monitoring your reservation from time to time in case things change.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:37 pm

Thank you very much for the info.. As suggested I will continue to monitor the seats. I may move to 21AC or 22AC as the aisle is more important to us than the window. Of course the hope would be that those seat will go to P+ and we won't be moved!
Thank you very much for the info
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amtrak Select
weird premium plus/E+ glitch?

Interesting experience with the rollout of premium plus. I'm doing IAD - FRA tomorrow. I had 21K reserved since early November and applied a friend's GPU to try to upgrade (I'm only gold, so I expected the GPU to be futile, but it never hurts to try). Anyway, T-30 hours I notice that there's been an aircraft change to a 777 with premium plus. My seat changed to somewhere in the back and premium plus shows up grey.

I call United and get a series of inconsistent explanations. The agent alternated between saying that premium plus seats remain regular E+ seats and that they've already rolled premium economy. She said she would add me to a premium plus waitlist using the GPU (I was skeptical that such a lists exists yet, but ok). I asked to talk a supervisor. The supervisor said he was confused. Some seats are in premium plus are occupied and others are blocked, he said. He also said there's no such thing as a premium plus wait list. In any case, he told me to check with the airport because it's in their control now. (That seems odd at T-30...)

Curious if anyone has any insight or experience. I'm assuming it's a glitch, but maybe it's possible that they're blocking premium plus? Regardless, very frustrating. I chose 21K knowing full well that there was a good chance of an equipment change.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Agent was right and wrong - it's rolled out as in purchaseable but not yet flyable (Mar. 30).

It may be that they are now blocking those seats for GS/1K - some reports have suggested that.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:00 pm

Interesting. If that's the case, I'll be curious to see if they'd give it to me over a random seat in the back given that I had E+ reserved up to a few days ago, and, if not, whether they'd let me apply the GPU...
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There is no PE cabin from an inventory perspective on the flight; all seats are sold as Economy. I currently see every seat in rows 19-21 on UA989 tomorrow as assigned. There have indeed been reports that they are deliberately choosing who gets the seats in the case of a frame swap.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:06 pm

Thanks. Make sense. FWIW, the phone center supervisor said some were assigned and others blocked (not sure why the would block them) though I'm not sure how much I trust him. Look like the seat I'm assigned to is actually E+, so I'll take it.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:48 pm

Seat map mismatch between UA and seat guru

I'm currently looking at the seat map for UA 960 flying from EWR -> FRA on 12/8. The seat map on seatguru and UA official seat map seem to be off. Which one do I believe? For example - UA has 3 seats on row 31: 31J, 32K, 31L while seatguru has only two for that row 31J and 32K. Further, UA is showing there are no seats in front of row 31 but seat guru is showing otherwise.
Need to select a seat but not sure which of these maps to go by. Any thoughts?

Seat Guru

UA:

Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would believe the UA map. Seat guru has been wrong for some time about the United planes, especially with the conversions to Polaris.

Yes, you are on a Polarized plane with the new Premium Plus seats.

Row 31 on the sides is the new bulkhead for Economy +.

If you are 1K maybe you can choose one of those Premium Plus seats. Does it show available for you or are they greyed?
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Dec 7, 2018 at 7:57 pm Reason: Add Information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.