Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
And just to pile on, they basically start cleaning up and shutting down at 11 pm. This is where the configuration of the lounge (long and narrow) becomes a problem because it's super loud wherever you go (especially near the bar and the service door on the ground floor) just past the check-in counter. I finally escaped to one of the "quiet rooms" down past the showers.

At least you are flying BR and not UA LOL

Sad fact - I have to fly UA next month to TPE or I may not requal 1K, I have been enjoying BR ad LH a little too much LOL, at least I have the 773 out of SFO
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

Sad fact - I have to fly UA next month to TPE or I may not requal 1K, I have been enjoying BR ad LH a little too much LOL, at least I have the 773 out of SFO
BR was amazing. I know where all my UA miles are now going. But the UA 77W hard product is awfully nice so I don't feel too sorry for you
laxmillenial likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:35 pm

Does the new lounge have a children's/family room? Dont see any mention anywhere so I'm guess, probably not.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by slack455
Does the new lounge have a children's/family room? Dont see any mention anywhere so I'm guess, probably not.
There isn't a dedicated children/family room like the Centurion lounge.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JHake10
There isn't a dedicated children/family room
Which makes sense because there are no guest privileges in the Polaris lounge.
JHake10 likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Tried out the Polaris lounge at SFO for the first time today and I have to say I'm extremely impressed. The food was great (including the dining service), layout was nice and it was by far the best lounge I've seen in North America, and maybe just squeezes into the league of some of the top first class lounges internationally. I'm writing this from UA869 currently over Northern Japan. When the "new polaris" experience is all pieced together I think its actually a very nice product. If only they can get the new lounges and seats into all theirs hubs / planes respectively.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
In the lounge now at 6:40 PM. I would say there are about 100 paxs on both levels. Went to the dining room for a quick bite and was disappointed with the service. There were about ten people sitting so I sat at a table in the corner that had a couple of glasses and silverwear laid out. Waited about ten minutes but no one came over. I got up and asked an attendant for a menu. Ten more minutes went by before my order was taken.

Polaris Burger was good but requested condiments but never came. It also took 20 minutes to get the order. Observing the staff, they seem not to be too confident in their duties. My theory. SF City really pushes to hire locals whether they have experience or not. They were probably given a training program but have no experience in the hospitality business.

Lounge is miles ahead of the old UC Lounge. Mostly European flights going out at this time so not overly crowded.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

I am guess, from the statement above, you have to fly UA to requalify for 1K is because of PQD or the 4-segment minimum on UA metals. Try the credit card waiver and simple RT domestic trip with one connection, then you are there.

There is no need to “have to” fly UA for 1K requalification. Continue to enjoy you BR and LH (not sure I agree with LH’s quality, OS is my choice) as much as you like.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

I am guess, from the statement above, you have to fly UA to requalify for 1K is because of PQD or the 4-segment minimum on UA metals. Try the credit card waiver and simple RT domestic trip with one connection, then you are there.

There is no need to “have to” fly UA for 1K requalification. Continue to enjoy you BR and LH (not sure I agree with LH’s quality, OS is my choice) as much as you like.
For PQD, you can always book on 016 ticket stock to get credit.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Which makes sense because there are no guest privileges in the Polaris lounge.
There are still guest privileges in the Polaris Lounge for passengers flying Polaris First so a passenger flying SFO-ORD-international destination in Polaris First could invite a guest until the 3-plane class with Polaris First disappears (in March I still could have purchased First Class for a trip to PVG in July for just $1500 more than the P fare). There is also guest privileges for the departure airport for a passenger flying First Class in a Star Alliance flight. In both cases, they can invite one guest. My wife and I did find this privilege useful on one trip to and from PVG last January.

FWIW, in the ORD Polaris Lounge, there are from time to time families with small kids. They are either passengers having found good awards in Business, wealthy people or employees of companies paying for the whole family to fly or whatever other explanation. But, it's sure that there are not too many kids so maybe it does not warrant a need to put a family room especially when the Polaris Lounge space is limited.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
There are still guest privileges in the Polaris Lounge for passengers flying Polaris First so a passenger flying SFO-ORD-international destination in Polaris First could invite a guest until the 3-plane class with Polaris First disappears (in March I still could have purchased First Class for a trip to PVG in July for just $1500 more than the P fare).
Given that GF goes away next month, I really didn't feel it was worth qualifying the comment, particularly since I doubt that any significant number of families with children (that's what the comment related to) flying either UA or *A partner F.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Given that GF goes away next month, I really didn't feel it was worth qualifying the comment, particularly since I doubt that any significant number of families with children (that's what the comment related to) flying either UA or *A partner F.
From ORD, these families exist. Maybe SFO has a different demographics (high prevalence of DINKs?). And although totally unrelated, in 1994, my wife was surprised that on her LHR-JFK flight on the BA Concorde there were 3 families with 3-4 small kids each. All coming from a continent that is not North America or Europe. I guess that's where the wealth is.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Can't book BR on 016 stock for money, only for award tickets. If you can somehow, I am all ears.

I can and do book LH, but due to this year schedule and other things, been flying BR quite a bit and LH not so much, so I am just making sure. One flight on the 77W isn't going to kill me
Old May 26, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't book BR on 016 stock for money, only for award tickets. If you can somehow, I am all ears.

I can and do book LH, but due to this year schedule and other things, been flying BR quite a bit and LH not so much, so I am just making sure. One flight on the 77W isn't going to kill me
Did this change recently? I thought BR used to be available on 016, although only with the expensive fares. (Not that that is very helpful.)
Old May 26, 2018, 11:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I am guess, from the statement above, you have to fly UA to requalify for 1K is because of PQD or the 4-segment minimum on UA metals. Try the credit card waiver and simple RT domestic trip with one connection, then you are there. ....
No credit card PQD waiver for 1K

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
BR blocks their discount fares via plating restrictions, making it hard or costly to book on 016 ticket stock
EVA (BR) not bookable through United?

==============================================

TOPIC REMINDER

However, we are getting pretty far off topic here, lets return to the thread topic, the SFO Polaris Lounge

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 26, 2018 at 12:16 pm Reason: highlighted link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.