Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by ORDSteve
With crude oil prices approaching $70 a barrel, some long thin routes that might have penciled out a few months ago are likely now marginal at best. Hard to see them starting ULH to second tier cities at this point in time.
I was think the same thing.... I have run the fuel burn numbers, and it costs about 1.5x as much in fuel per seat mile to run a ULH fight (7500sm+) as it does a flight of 5000sm. Although the B789/A359 are great A/C even with their better fuel burn those last 2000miles are really expensive to add. Further higher fuel costs really ramp up for some A/C (such as the 772/77W) which are currently running some flights at the edge of their range. See e.g. AA's 8119sm DFW-HKG flight.

If oil stays at 70+ vs the 45-50 it has been, a lot of longer routes will start to run in the red CASM wise. This would be particularly so for the J-light routes we are talking (vs say SIN or HKG)

Originally Posted by DA201
With this logic, the fact that there is no nonstop flight from DEL (3rd largest metro area) to CGK (2nd largest metro area) is puzzling. Also, Karachi (6th largest metro area) is really underserved in terms of flights...

I think total passenger traffic, not just international passenger traffic, is more accurate. International traffic is skewed based on geography. FRA/AMS/CDG are in the EU, so a lot of their "international" traffic is almost equivalent to a domestic trip in the US. Furthermore, a place like DXB relies 100% on international passengers for all of their traffic.
I think its a combo of total international traffic and O/D traffic and how much paid J/F traffic there is. SFO can support flights from a huge number of airports, just on O/D, that say ATL or DFW or IAH can't. Really only five American cities (NYC, ORD, SFO, LAX, and now to some extent SEA - because it is 400 or 800 miles closer to asia than SFO/LAX) can support a large number of non-hub airline international flights. Frankly, with the film industry, finance, and some corporate HQ's, my guess is that BOM has more paid J traffic than does say DEL. DEL is served only because its the state carrier, and its the capital/hub for IA, and it is closer to SFO than is BOM (or BLR).
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
With this logic, the fact that there is no nonstop flight from DEL (3rd largest metro area) to CGK (2nd largest metro area) is puzzling. Also, Karachi (6th largest metro area) is really underserved in terms of flights...

I think total passenger traffic, not just international passenger traffic, is more accurate. International traffic is skewed based on geography. FRA/AMS/CDG are in the EU, so a lot of their "international" traffic is almost equivalent to a domestic trip in the US. Furthermore, a place like DXB relies 100% on international passengers for all of their traffic.
Don't forget the amount of international business/tourism is key. Amsterdam has a population of less than 3m people, but the Dutch domestic market is so small that much business with Dutch companies is international, vs. larger countries where a much higher percentage of the business is domestic (Germany, for example). Hence the existence of KLM and their huge international network. I don't know much about the Indian market but suspect that there's a high percentage of demand from domestic business. Israel has such a small domestic market that a lot of business is cross border and a lot of Israelis vacation abroad since the domestic tourism market is expensive (it's almost always cheaper to fly to Greece for vacation than to drive to Eilat). Furthermore, Since Tel Aviv is the primary international airport in Israel (95%+ of all international flights) you need to include the population of the entire country (approaching 9m) rather than just the Tel Aviv metro area.

Lastly, you need to take GDP per capita into account - the GDP per capita for Israel (TLV) is $37,263 vs. for India where it's $1,709
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NYTA
Lastly, you need to take GDP per capita into account - the GDP per capita for Israel (TLV) is $37,263 vs. for India where it's $1,709
Which also goes towards the MNL suggestion I had above. A massive metro area, 4-6th largest in the world how you measure. But the GDP for those there is fairly low, reducing their purchasing power, especially for those awesome business tickets we think drives profitability. Lastly, if you know anything about Philippine immigration, you aren't exactly free to leave their country when you want to. You have to prove your "ability" to travel.

Also like the TLV example, CRK and MNL drive most of the population's ability to travel internationally. You almost have to look at the entire market, with the exception of CEB. And CEB is small and more tourism driven.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Lastly, you need to take GDP per capita into account
If you do that in Asia, the number of places that will qualify is extremely limited and all are already served (Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, Seoul, Japan).
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you do that in Asia, the number of places that will qualify is extremely limited and all are already served (Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, Seoul, Japan).
Was / Is GDP a considering factor when deciding to serve non Shanghai / Beijing China locations last year / two years ago?

i would wager no... but I could be wrong.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:54 am

China has a lower average GDP ($6900/person in 2016) but that masks major regional differences, just like we have in the US (.e.g. the per capita income in SF is $49,890; its is $18,100 in Alabama). Just looking at disposable income (https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-ec...tandards-china ) PEK/PVG have about 50,000y/per person in disposable income (that is roughly $7900/per capita); while the basically the rest of the Country has less than 20,000y/per capita. E.g. Xian, where UA's service pancaked, is in Shaanxi province, which has a per capital disposable income of around 17,000y ($2600/per capita). My guess is that the variation is even greater than these numbers given the propensity of the Chinese to fake economic numbers.

My point is that there are regions and cities in counties that are not as wealthy, that have larger middle/upper middle classes and substantial numbers of very wealthy people. KUL may get there, BKK was on the way there, but the country has stalled out due to bad governance/social unrest, DEL/BOM and probably now BLR are already there. MNL & SGN are nowhere close.

I have my strong doubts about how the US carriers will be able to compete long term with sub-standard hard and soft product and bad reputations for service against Asian carriers that often times have lower wage rates, but it seems that ULR flights w/o enough J demand (and with BKK an incumbent carrier with a better reputation for service) is not the way to do it.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Was / Is GDP a considering factor when deciding to serve non Shanghai / Beijing China locations last year / two years ago?
I - in large part because the very different level of income - called both the Xian and Hangzough flights as flights that would not last. See e.g. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25478610-post78.html I took a fair amount of grief for this view (and I'm sure I deserve all the grief I get. ) with the counter argument being that well, UA knows what it is doing. My rearview mirror take is that UA's old Jeff-centric management had no clue what it was doing.

I am inclined to think that Kirby - which I sharply disagree with his views re service/product quality, and think he is stuck in the ULCC mindset of charging for water - does understand and can require real modeling of competitive posture and how it impacts demand. I doubt, particularly with higher fuel prices, that we see any more SFO, let along LAX to Asia ULR flights.

Last edited by spin88; Apr 29, 2018 at 10:53 am
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
I was think the same thing.... I have run the fuel burn numbers, and it costs about 1.5x as much in fuel per seat mile to run a ULH fight (7500sm+) as it does a flight of 5000sm. Although the B789/A359 are great A/C even with their better fuel burn those last 2000miles are really expensive to add. Further higher fuel costs really ramp up for some A/C (such as the 772/77W) which are currently running some flights at the edge of their range. See e.g. AA's 8119sm DFW-HKG flight.

If oil stays at 70+ vs the 45-50 it has been, a lot of longer routes will start to run in the red CASM wise. This would be particularly so for the J-light routes we are talking (vs say SIN or HKG)
If oil stays at 70, these routes should be okay. It's when they start to creep towards 90/100 per barrel that problems arise. I am not sure how high oil will rise, but I don't think it will go up too much like it did 10 years ago because OPEC just doesn't have the power it once had.

I think its a combo of total international traffic and O/D traffic and how much paid J/F traffic there is. SFO can support flights from a huge number of airports, just on O/D, that say ATL or DFW or IAH can't. Really only five American cities (NYC, ORD, SFO, LAX, and now to some extent SEA - because it is 400 or 800 miles closer to asia than SFO/LAX) can support a large number of non-hub airline international flights. Frankly, with the film industry, finance, and some corporate HQ's, my guess is that BOM has more paid J traffic than does say DEL. DEL is served only because its the state carrier, and its the capital/hub for IA, and it is closer to SFO than is BOM (or BLR).
I would take out SEA and replace it with IAD. MCO & MIA/FLL can support a large number of non-hub international flights as well if the planes are configured with a lot of E seats. You are spot on with DEL's advantage. It's geography/hub/capital are the reason for DEL-SFO instead of BOM-SFO.

Don't forget the amount of international business/tourism is key. Amsterdam has a population of less than 3m people, but the Dutch domestic market is so small that much business with Dutch companies is international, vs. larger countries where a much higher percentage of the business is domestic (Germany, for example). Hence the existence of KLM and their huge international network. I don't know much about the Indian market but suspect that there's a high percentage of demand from domestic business. Israel has such a small domestic market that a lot of business is cross border and a lot of Israelis vacation abroad since the domestic tourism market is expensive (it's almost always cheaper to fly to Greece for vacation than to drive to Eilat). Furthermore, Since Tel Aviv is the primary international airport in Israel (95%+ of all international flights) you need to include the population of the entire country (approaching 9m) rather than just the Tel Aviv metro area.

Exactly my point regarding geography. When the domestic market is very small, international destinations are more appealing. AMS/TLV passengers are much more likely to be traveling abroad compared to SFO passengers. And of course there are plenty of factors missing. If route planning was a simply equation with a few variables, airlines would have a much easier time determining what routes to fly.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

I would tend to agree. My guess would be that UA was primarily focused on US based demand from its existing corporate customers.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I would tend to agree. My guess would be that UA was primarily focused on US based demand from its existing corporate customers.
I thought it might have to do with subsidies being provided from the Chinese side as well (more for SFO-XIY...SFO-HGH, in hindsight, seemed more like a placeholder until they got the second SFO-PVG slot).
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:55 am

If oil stays at 70, these routes should be okay. It's when they start to creep towards 90/100 per barrel that problems arise. I am not sure how high oil will rise, but I don't think it will go up too much like it did 10 years ago because OPEC just doesn't have the power it once had.

I would take out SEA and replace it with IAD. MCO & MIA/FLL can support a large number of non-hub international flights as well if the planes are configured with a lot of E seats. You are spot on with DEL's advantage. It's geography/hub/capital are the reason for DEL-SFO instead of BOM-SFO.
I don't think SFO-SIN will go away, but I do think that oil at 70 vs 50 makes a BIG difference in the willingness to add ULH routes to cities outside of those (TYO, PVG, HKG, SIN, to a lesser degree PEK and ICN) with very high premium demand.

I might further add, that the US3 are at a real disadvantage in most asia markets as the US airports are not really set up for transit. For example, there is a lot of Asia to SA traffic, and visa versa, but a lot of it goes via Europe/ME and some via Australia and NZ. For those with a US visa, its not an issue, but you can't simply transit the US airports in the same way you can most overseas. I would think that UA would be interested in something like SFO-GRU (6472 miles) or SFO-SCL (5918 miles) over these ULR flights to Asia.

Re IAD unlike SFO/LAX/SEA - all of which get substantal traffic to both Asia and Europe and also to TLV, IAD has few flights to Asia. The US flag carriers certainly don't fly those routes. Same with MIA. Its a huge base for AA, but only for SA. MCO is just a tourist spot,and it does not support even a flight to NRT.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I would think that UA would be interested in something like SFO-GRU (6472 miles) or SFO-SCL (5918 miles) over these ULR flights to Asia.
UA seems pretty committed to making IAH their Latin American hub...but having SFO-South America, or more routes out of EWR (EWR-SCL would be an obvious one, IMO) would be nice. Perhaps they need connecting traffic from the coasts to support IAH-South America...?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
UA seems pretty committed to making IAH their Latin American hub...but having SFO-South America, or more routes out of EWR (EWR-SCL would be an obvious one, IMO) would be nice. Perhaps they need connecting traffic from the coasts to support IAH-South America...?
While I agree that is UA's plan (vs AA's which has been to adding flights on its own E.g. LAX-GRU on AA, LIM/SCL on partners) UA can't serve most of Asia from IAH, so it becomes two stop on UA (xxx-IAH-SFO-xxx) which is not competitive.

There may just be two little O/D traffic for these routes (LAX pulls from an area roughly twice the size of SFO) and that may counter-balance that LAX is another 350 miles from Asia, but the UA stratagy is different than AA's as to Asia-SA traffic.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM

If you think DEL is out of the game with little high paid corporate traffic, Google the city of GURGAON. It was basically set up GE and hosts many large US companies for outsourcing. The suburb of Delhi, which boarders the Indira Gandhi Int'l Airport, is teaming with foreign expats. So I would say DEL is a great candidate for a new SFO nonstop.

Last edited by adambrau; Apr 29, 2018 at 3:03 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I don't think SFO-SIN will go away, but I do think that oil at 70 vs 50 makes a BIG difference in the willingness to add ULH routes...
Does this actually matter? I thought all airlines except AA hedged their oil bets. Therefore, oil rising in prices don’t affect them till at least a year or more later since they’ve already pre-bought / hedged.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I find it interesting that all these international airlines have non-stop flights from SAN: AC, BA, WK (Edelweiss), JL and LH. I do fly these airlines as a non-stop is very attractive and they do not seem to have an issue filling up the planes. So if SEA is being considered for new routes, then hopefully UA will also consider SAN (speaking as someone who flies from SAN)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.