Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I think that Air China operates SJC-SHenzhen but Air China abandoms SJC-PEK soon. There is some hope that UA can do SFO-CAN if Air China does not do well with SJC-Shenzhen.
A *A flight nonstop from the Bay Area to SXZ? Would be my dream. Don't think that's ever been offered. (But pretty please with a plum let it be! Even if from SJC!)
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
A *A flight nonstop from the Bay Area to SXZ? Would be my dream. Don't think that's ever been offered. (But pretty please with a plum let it be! Even if from SJC!)
CA operates LAX-SZX. I don't see any other *A flights to SZX from the US. There's a Xiamen flight to SEA, but I don't see any other flights to the US at all.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
Yup ^ and discussion over here:

IAD - TLV 3x/weekly starts May 22 2019
Link does not seem to work ?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:53 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Link does not seem to work ?
Um, worked for me just five seconds ago @:-)
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I think that Air China operates SJC-SHenzhen but Air China abandoms SJC-PEK soon. There is some hope that UA can do SFO-CAN if Air China does not do well with SJC-Shenzhen.
CA flies SJC-PVG three times a week until ~ October, when they will drop the route.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Are there any "Tier 1" slots available for UA to reconsider SFO-CAN under the US-China bilateral?
Yes there are. The last expansion of the bilateral required that 7 (weekly) of the additional frequencies had to be set aside to serve CAN (the 2008 frequencies) and they haven't been taken up on the US side. NW was already CAN from NRT but dropped the route in 2009.

(2) In addition to the frequencies available under paragraph (1) above, the designated airlines of each Party shall be entitled to operate weekly frequencies for combination services on Routes LA or ILA of Annex I on flights to and from Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou (hereinafter "China Zone 1") or to and from Fujian, Guangdong (except Guangzhou), Hebei, Jiangsu, Shandong, Tianjin, and Zhejiang (hereinafter "China Zone 2") according to the following schedule :

(a) Effective August 1, 2004 : an additional 14 weekly frequencies
(b) Effective March 25, 2005 : an additional 7 weekly frequencies
(c) Effective March 25, 2006 : an additional 7 weekly frequencies
(d) Effective March 25, 2007 : an additional 7 weekly frequencies
(e) Effective August 1, 2007 : an additional 7 weekly frequencies
(f) Effective March 25, 2008 : an additional 7 weekly frequencies
(restricted to nonstop Guangzhou service)

(g) Effective March 25, 2009 : an additional 28 weekly frequencies
(h) Effective March 25, 2010 : an additional 21 weekly frequencies
(f) Effective March 25, 2011 : an additional 14 weekly frequencies
(g) Effective March 25, 2012 : an additional 14 weekly frequencies
https://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/othr/ata/c/ch/114749.htm
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
There are legitimate reasons why no US airlines are serving CAN directly from US or via NRT. Similarly CA cannot make its US flight works from SZX.

There are voices made in this forum in the past ten years calling for services to CAN, but in reality there isn’t enough business to substan such a flight.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
There are legitimate reasons why no US airlines are serving CAN directly from US or via NRT. Similarly CA cannot make its US flight works from SZX.

There are voices made in this forum in the past ten years calling for services to CAN, but in reality there isn’t enough business to substan such a flight.
And CAN is so easily accessible from Hong Kong.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Really? Chengdu and Xi'an, yes, but not Guangzhou?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
I will never forget that UA cancelled SFO-HGH (Hangzhou, three hours shuttle to PVG)😭. Perhaps, there is not enough traffic for doing daily flight from one UA hub. If United starts 3X from SFO and 4X from EWR using 788 aircraft, it may work assuming that UA will let the market develop over a few years. Just hope that UA will do that after 787 pilot base is open at EWR.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Maybe because Chengdu and Xi'an are further away from other airports. Guangzhou is so close to Hong Kong.

Didn't UA try HGH for a short while and then removed that route because they did not get enough passengers? I remember that I was tempted to fly there as they had an unbelievable low price for Business. But I guess it's too close to PVG.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Didn't UA try HGH for a short while and then removed that route because they did not get enough passengers? I remember that I was tempted to fly there as they had an unbelievable low price for Business. But I guess it's too close to PVG.
UA started SFO-HGH while waiting for the approval of the second SFO-PVG frequency. The approval was delayed. Also, flight schedule that did not allow much feed traffic from CA at HGH is probably another reason. The PVG-SFO schedule does allow feed traffic from CA at PVG where CA has a much bigger operation.
StuckinITH likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
SFO-XIY is canceled now. Just sayin’
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Ferry infrastructure from HK Airport is just too good to justify direct service to SZX or CAN

To Shenzhen: Hop off HK flight, walk 100 yards to ferry, leaves hourly, $30 in First Class, 30 minute ride
To Guangzhou: Hop off HK flight, walk 100 yards to ferry, leaves hourly, $60 in First Class, 90 minute ride

The original cities discussed on this thread (BKK, SGN, MNL, DEL, BOM, BLR) all seem like a better use of an ULH frame from SFO.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
CX operates multiple flights to US from HK. IAD services will start soon.
Our Mainland China staff are getting huge discount to fly China-HK-US on CX. CX Business fares are significant lower if flying China-HK-US vs. HK-US (same flights!).
CX is quite competitive in terms discounting premium cabin fares against Korean, US and Mainland Chinese airlines for US traffic. Scheduling and extra connections may not make sense for Northern China passengers, but for our Eastern and Southern China operations, staff is able to schedule a business-stop over in HK before or after flying to/from US. It saves company a lot of money. US staff can also schedule business stops in HK prior to flying to China on CX to take advantage of the discount business fares. CAN-HKG-US-HKG-CAN on CX is quite popular and often it is 30% cheaper versus HKG-US-HKG fare on the same CX flights.

It will be difficult for UA to compete. CAN-HKG-LAX/SFO/JFK/ORD/IAD on CX is better than CAN-SFO-LAX/IAD/ORD/EW on UA (hypothetically if there is a UA CAN-SFO flight). Think about no need to collect luggage at SFO and clear immigration and doing international to domestic transfer vs. a simple transit at HKG airport and then a direct flight to US.

The Korean airlines are also doing the same to attract Northern China traffic to/from US via ICN with deep discounted business and economy fare.

There are a lot of factors in deciding where and when and whether to start a new services to places such as CAN. Often it is not just looking at macro level but more considerations need to be given at micro level.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 4, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.