Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Yes! Can we get back to more exotic locations. At one point a poll was discussed. I believe it had a limitation of 15 choices. I'm pretty new to FT so don't know how to fire up a poll, but it someone does, here are my contributions to the pool of 15 choices. Let's limit the poll to exciting locations that would also have enough business-class volume to justify the route.

EWR - Moscow
I think IAD-SVO/DME is more likely

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Yes, but it's just not a big country. Population = NYC population. Also, TLV not a practical connection to anywhere. Neighboring countries (Turkey, Gulf, Egypt) all have ample direct flights. In the old days, it was a connection point to India for TWA, but Gulf airlines have taken that business...
TLV is the main international airport for the whole country and it is worth noting that the percent of Israelis that go abroad each yesr is over 50% with a lot of road warrior tech people coming and going and millions of tourists .

Originally Posted by EWR764
... which I guess militates against ..
What on earth does "militates" mean?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2018 at 10:29 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by worldtrav
What on earth does "militates" mean?
LMGTFY

Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by prestonh
Heck, FAT didn't even have a full service airside restaurant until after the 2002 terminal expansion. Prior to that you could buy muffins and coffee next to the UA gates, and that was even closed during construction (it took up part of the construction space/entrance in the main corridor). There were a few snacks in the 'news shop' but otherwise it was pre-security for a meal. A lounge in FAT, lol and I enjoyed that airport post expansion.
Sounds like the old VPS, which had the vending machines of despair (the sodas were always warm and the 'food' was one lone bag on funyuns stuck on the wire spiral) as airside food options, and the only public toilets were landside.

You know your local airport is starting to get less podunk when the new terminal or terminal expansion means you no longer have to re-clear security if you want to pee before getting on the plane.

The upside of the wee airports is that security line times tend to be of the ten minutes or less variety and showing up at the airport 45 minutes before departure is plenty of time to make your flight. I couldn't imagine driving 4+ hours to an airport with a lounge for that reason and losing the convenience of a small airport with those kind of easy wait times, especially since the plane out of Wee Field is headed off to Giant Hub with its lounges and other options anyways.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by J.Edward

EWR - CPT / don't know if there's the paid J there, particularly compared to JNB. Also, doubt the current political climate in SA is helping boost traffic be it commercial or leisure.
I don't see why it couldn't be seasonal for the safari + cape tourists. I spent about $20,000 on hotels/safari/J airfare and the only reason I went to JNB was for my connection to CPT and then flying back home after I left Kruger.
All the rich Saffers I know in NYC all live in Cape Town and I see them flying J a few times a year.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I don't see why it couldn't be seasonal for the safari + cape tourists. I spent about $20,000 on hotels/safari/J airfare and the only reason I went to JNB was for my connection to CPT and then flying back home after I left Kruger.
All the rich Saffers I know in NYC all live in Cape Town and I see them flying J a few times a year.
With a 787 pilot base opening in EWR, the 789 should easily have the range to do it. Have no idea what the water / drought situation is like, though.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
My source isn’t very knowledgeable but I am hearing IAH-PVG and IAH-ZRH will be started. I suppose it makes sense because the aircraft could do a Pacific-Atlantic pattern.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Air Houston
My source isn’t very knowledgeable but I am hearing IAH-PVG and IAH-ZRH will be started. I suppose it makes sense because the aircraft could do a Pacific-Atlantic pattern.
Not sure why ZRH makes sense. PVG would be UA’s first route to China from IAH, which would be exciting...but do they have the slots for it?

Either one would continue UA’s seeming strategy of flying to destinations it already covers from other hubs - so new routes, not new destinations.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Given the (potentially? already?) explosive situation in ZA, CPT/JNB are the last destinations I would expect UA to open service.

With AA exiting ORD-PEK this fall, could UA believe that it could pick up some residual U.S.-China demand? Doubtful too considering that U.S.-China is currently oversaturated.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Except that FAT is driveable (i.e. four hours to major airports like SFO/OAK/SJC/LAX/SMF unlike OMA or BOI which are ± nine hours to other, in aggregate at least, much smaller airports like MSP or RNO.
Originally Posted by FATFlyer
My understanding is that it was not just in F but also in E+ that was upgrades instead of purchases.

FAT not having a shared lounge is not unusual for an airport in a metro area this size. For example, I believe there is no airline or shared lounge in Omaha which is a similar sized metro with a large business travel base. Boise is another example I can think of off the top of my head.
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Surely they expected that, FAT isnt an F market, the airport doesn't even have a basic shared lounge
The only benefit to FAT (and I fly in and out 3-6 times a year) is that up until recently I could show up 35-40 minutes before the flight and be airside at the gate in ~6 minutes from walking in the front door. Recently however with the addition of an a320 for the 6am flight to SFO the ticket counter has been a complete and utter zoo which increases those times a bit.

Honestly, from the time of getting to the airport to boarding the plane there really isn't any time to go to a lounge anyway.

I would much rather fly to SFO and connect there, and enjoy the Polaris lounge for 3-5 hours rather than driving simply because it's a whole lot easier to fly than drive.

Also, I have been upgraded on every single FAT flight as a 1K in the past three years, of course not on the CRJ-200's but every plane with a "first class" I've been upgraded.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by warrenw
Also, I have been upgraded on every single FAT flight as a 1K in the past three years, of course not on the CRJ-200's but every plane with a "first class" I've been upgraded.
There has to be some reward for living in Fresno.
phaka2, tuolumne and prestonh like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Air Houston
IAH-PVG? I’ve read about IAD-PVG. Washington-Shanghai would be far more likeky than Houston.

And there are just enough frequencies. One weekly never assigned by the DOT, three surrendered by UA (ex GUM-PVG) and the three ex SFO-HGH frequencies (don’t think they’ve been surrendered).

But even if the DOT granted authority there’s actually getting the landing/take off slots at PVG. It took almost 2 years for UA to get slots for the second daily SFO-PVG. PVG is slot constrained and the dominant airline is China Eastern (SkyTeam/Delta partner). Hence political and commercial difficulties.

Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by sinoflyer

With AA exiting ORD-PEK this fall, could UA believe that it could pick up some residual U.S.-China demand? Doubtful too considering that U.S.-China is currently oversaturated.
I agree. Too much capacity at the moment. Airlines on both sides are offering deeply discounted tickets in Y and J to fill up the planes. Yields are low. I am seeing round-trip J selling for less than $4K on UA on selective dates.... the same fare I paid when I started flying UA to China back in 1992. I really don’t see UA starting any new services between US and the three main Chinese cities in PEK, PVG and CAN. Deeply discounted fares are also popping up between US and China via HKG and ICN on CX and KE/OZ, respectively.

IAD-PEK-IAD is one of the easiest routes to clear upgrades,IMHO. Even with all the upgrades cleared, you could observe 1/3 of J goes out empty on the the 36-seat 788 on certain dates.

Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, Marriott Lifetime Ti
Is BKK in UA's future?

I recently had a conversation with a long time UA employee who indicated that management is intending to return to BKK maybe in the next year. There is a lot of demand from measure travelers and very little direct service from mainland USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.