Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Not sure what would fly to BKK, and I don't know if Hard Disk Drives fly as opposed to sail, but many of my HDDs in my computers say Made in Thailand. I think there is fair bit of electronics assembly in Kingdom of Thailand.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by CALMSP
the example of SFO-LHR does carry a bunch, but its not a high generator for cargo out of SFO. Majority of traffic is moving from LAX via trucks.

SGN does have a lot of outbound opportunities, generally geared towards the garment market. Which has seen a few charters from Etihad operating SGN-ANC (I believe)-CMH.
I can't find a list that separates out transhipment/connection traffic (e.g. #2 MEM is a fed-ex hub, #4 ANC is a refuling hub). But BKK is #2 1 in cargo traffic (below LHR, ahead of JFK)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._cargo_traffic
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by spin88
I was going off the SFO-SIN pricing. Its a ULR flight. I don't think UA could make the economics work at published J fares of $3500 (and then corporate J being $2000+).
I agree. I was saying with other carriers publishing $3500 on some fares, UA is not likely to get more than that ($3500) on their corporate J fares. I suspect UA would probably show published (close in) fares in the $6k to $8k range at least for a while. UA can probably average $3 to $3.5k with decent yields in J for a year or two. But again longer term, I don't see how UA stays in the TPAC market. Their product is inferior. Their labor costs are wildly out of line. If TG starts exercising their fifth freedom rights through Japan and Seoul and then team up with Alaska or JetBlue, UA an DL are both totally cooked.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 5khours
If TG starts exercising their fifth freedom rights through Japan and Seoul and then team up with Alaska or JetBlue, UA an DL are both totally cooked.
TG is such a mess and won't be cooking anyone any time soon. They tried Japan and/or Seoul with various connection times for decades. They didn't make money then, I cannot imagine why they would now.
JVPhoto likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
TG is such a mess and won't be cooking anyone any time soon. They tried Japan and/or Seoul with various connection times for decades. They didn't make money then, I cannot imagine why they would now.
Agree. They're are some big hurdles.... but

1. TG doesn't have to make money in order to put pressure on UA fares.
2. Before when TG was flying to the US, a) UA still had a very competitive premium product on TPAC, b) TG didn't have the example of SQ and JL partnering with AS to show them how to pick up feeder traffic in the U.S., c) TYO<>BKK O&D traffic was a lot lower back then.
3. Management incompetence at TG could be the reason TG restarts their fifth freedom flights (they could easily make the right decision for the wrong reason.)
4. From a cost, product and geography perspective, TG is the best positioned carrier to pick up share in the premium TPAC market.
5. There could be a miracle at TG (look at how JL turned itself around.)

That said, I suspect you're probably right .... at least for the short term.... which is why I said "if"
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
If TG starts exercising their fifth freedom rights through Japan and Seoul and then team up with Alaska or JetBlue, UA an DL are both totally cooked.
BKK - NRT/ICN - SEA/SFO/LAX - ZZZ is going to cook someone offering BKK - SFO - ZZZ?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I don’t see why SGN can’t follow the CTU model of 3x/weekly. It is an emerging tech manufacturing area (eg Cisco, HP) as is Thailand.
I wonder if the spate of political unrest In Thailand scared off UA as well from a Re-entry
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I agree. I was saying with other carriers publishing $3500 on some fares, UA is not likely to get more than that ($3500) on their corporate J fares. I suspect UA would probably show published (close in) fares in the $6k to $8k range at least for a while. UA can probably average $3 to $3.5k with decent yields in J for a year or two. But again longer term, I don't see how UA stays in the TPAC market. Their product is inferior. Their labor costs are wildly out of line. If TG starts exercising their fifth freedom rights through Japan and Seoul and then team up with Alaska or JetBlue, UA an DL are both totally cooked.
I think we are seeing it the say way. I just don't think you can look at SFO-SIN as a model as some have. While UA nearly always gets less per seat in published price than SQ (even even less in J with corporate discounts), the demand is high enough that SQ is often sells out in J had has really high fares for the last seat or few seats. E.g. If I need to go to SIN in J, on 4/23 its $3,058 on UA, $8565 on SQ; Tu 4/24-W 4/25 its $3,058 on UA, $4,848 on SQ; Th 4/26-F 4/27 its $4,848 on UA, $6,638 on SQ; Sat 4/28 UA $4848, SQ has no flight; Sun 4/29 both are $4,848, M 4/20 UA $4848, SQ$ 6,638. These are all one way fares! (RT is basically doubt this).

In turn, on these close in flights I can get (most days) a RT in Y of $894 on UA and $1102 (or so) on SQ. SQ gets a few more $$$ than UA, but the Y demand is not that high. Contrast that with e.g. flying SFO-LHR. If I want to do that last minute in Y, well it will run me $2,488+/- RT.

My guess is that BKK (and SGN) is the exactly flip of SFO-SIN. There will be a lot of Y demand (tourists, or in the case of SGN Vietnamese going to visit family) that that traffic is like SFO-MNL, it is a low end trade. UA would have to offer J fares at more of a buy up price.

Agree. They're are some big hurdles.... but

1. TG doesn't have to make money in order to put pressure on UA fares.
2. Before when TG was flying to the US, a) UA still had a very competitive premium product on TPAC, b) TG didn't have the example of SQ and JL partnering with AS to show them how to pick up feeder traffic in the U.S., c) TYO<>BKK O&D traffic was a lot lower back then.
3. Management incompetence at TG could be the reason TG restarts their fifth freedom flights (they could easily make the right decision for the wrong reason.)
4. From a cost, product and geography perspective, TG is the best positioned carrier to pick up share in the premium TPAC market.
5. There could be a miracle at TG (look at how JL turned itself around.)

That said, I suspect you're probably right .... at least for the short term.... which is why I said "if"
I think you make out a good business case (other than for #5 , or #3 TG has made clear it will be direct with the A359) and I am not expecting a "business" miracle. That said, despite horrible management, TG has a very GOOD reputation for service. Flyers care what they see on the planes, not about the crazy behind the scenes. TG is getting nice, new A359s. They have good J and Y product (no PE or E+ mind you, but standard pitch is 32") and I think most Americans would be happy to fly them compaired to UA. To give an e.g. UA gets a 3 of 10 in ratings on Skytrax United Airlines Customer Reviews | SKYTRAX Thai for all of the management noise and bad A/C selection gets a 7 out of 10 Thai Airways Customer Reviews | SKYTRAX

And as you said, TG can undercut UA on cost.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I don’t see why SGN can’t follow the CTU model of 3x/weekly. It is an emerging tech manufacturing area (eg Cisco, HP) as is Thailand.
I wonder if the spate of political unrest In Thailand scared off UA as well from a Re-entry

The Koreans are the ones who have invested heavily in Vietnam, less so UA companies. I just don't see the business traffic that say Thailand has, and there is almost no high value tourism. BKK and the beaches have world class resorts which attract people flying J, Vietnam does not (or not to the same extent). CTU was also launched with a major corporate account basically demanding it, and a lot more US linked high tech manufacturing. I just don't see anything similar re SGN.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
BKK - NRT/ICN - SEA/SFO/LAX - ZZZ is going to cook someone offering BKK - SFO - ZZZ?
No definitely not, but they can grab a significant amount of Japan<>US O&D traffic from the US carriers.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:32 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I understand the non-revs, but how is miles better than GPU? With GPU you get some money, but with reward you just clear some miles - which may look better on the books, but .....
Gets miles off the fiscal books. I don't believe GPUs are tracked as a liability like miles are, but I could be wrong.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by exerda
Gets miles off the fiscal books. I don't believe GPUs are tracked as a liability like miles are, but I could be wrong.
I would imagine that GPUs would have to be treated like a deferred asset as well? I know the rules will say they have no monetary value, but they do...
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would imagine that GPUs would have to be treated like a deferred asset as well? I know the rules will say they have no monetary value, but they do...
I don't think they are. If there were, there would be some kind of note in the financials and there is never a mention there of UG instruments....only miles. Agree with you though that in theory they should be treated the same as miles.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
UAL had $293M in cargo revenue last quarter, it earned $147M in net income. Absent that cargo revenue, UA would be in the red.
Cargo revenue is not cost-free, so I don't think you can make that conclusion from the information you've offered.
Miggles likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
No definitely not, but they can grab a significant amount of Japan<>US O&D traffic from the US carriers.
I doubt it. A successful fifth freedom flight needs name recognition in the two countries/cities. Thai currently has no presence in the US, so US based travelers are unlikely to go out of their way to find their flight. SQ & EK have name recognition in the US, and this allows them to successfully operate US fifth freedom flights. A good comparison is PR, which operates YVR-JFK with abysmal load factors because it has little name recognition.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by DA201
I doubt it. A successful fifth freedom flight needs name recognition in the two countries/cities. Thai currently has no presence in the US, so US based travelers are unlikely to go out of their way to find their flight. SQ & EK have name recognition in the US, and this allows them to successfully operate US fifth freedom flights. A good comparison is PR, which operates YVR-JFK with abysmal load factors because it has little name recognition.
By that theory, it would be impossible to ever start a new business or launch a new product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.