Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
The SFO-DEL AI flight is apparently doing very well, but I haven’t met a single person from the Bay Area who has flown it. It seems to be more popular with India-based flyers visiting the Bay Area.
I live in San Francisco, and took AI SFO-DEL-COK. The AI service was memorably bad on the international segments; first time I've ever returned a glass of wine on a flight. (Tasted like jet fuel). The pax next to me was a very drunk non-rev bragging about his status. On the way back with the Mrs. the agent acknowledged her UA Gold Status, but not my Plat Status refusing me a lounge card. Fortunately my Priority Pass also worked. Business travelers accustomed to SQ or LH on this route would be appalled. Given the huge J traffic SFO-BLR, along with the benefits of a a few limited AI connections, this route seems like a natural to me.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:18 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
On the way back with the Mrs. the agent acknowledged her UA Gold Status, but not my Plat Status refusing me a lounge card.
What...? Didn't she realize that your boarding pass had UA*G printed on it?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by mr8
What...? Didn't she realize that your boarding pass had UA*G printed on it?
My wife recognized my *G status. The Air India agent? Not so much. Boarding passes? Same-same. This particular lounge required a printed invite, or a Priority Pass card. This time Amex came through. Now this was a couple years ago (2016?) so things might have improved.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I live in San Francisco, and took AI SFO-DEL-COK. The AI service was memorably bad on the international segments; first time I've ever returned a glass of wine on a flight. (Tasted like jet fuel). The pax next to me was a very drunk non-rev bragging about his status. On the way back with the Mrs. the agent acknowledged her UA Gold Status, but not my Plat Status refusing me a lounge card. Fortunately my Priority Pass also worked. Business travelers accustomed to SQ or LH on this route would be appalled. Given the huge J traffic SFO-BLR, along with the benefits of a a few limited AI connections, this route seems like a natural to me.
either SFO-BOM or SFO-BLR would IMHO be able to fill the front of the plane in J. However, SFO-BLR is 8701sm; SFO-BOM is 8406sm. SFO-SIN is 8446sm. My understanding is that you would need more capacity as (a) you cross the himalayas, and (b) much of the Chinese airspace is closed, so you can't just fly a direct route. If that understanding is wrong, I would think a SFO-BOM/BLR would perhaps be the best add.

Keep in mind that SFO-DEL (flown by AI with a 772lr, which has more range/capacity than the B789) is only 7707sm.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
If SFO-India makes the most sense, I would think that there would be some clamoring for it / a petition (similar to what happened for SFO-TLV)...perhaps folks are satisfied with the AI route, even if it's not the greatest experience? Or people don't mind the hop via Asia or Europe?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
If SFO-India makes the most sense, I would think that there would be some clamoring for it / a petition (similar to what happened for SFO-TLV)...perhaps folks are satisfied with the AI route, even if it's not the greatest experience? Or people don't mind the hop via Asia or Europe?
The population of the Mumbai metropolitan area rivals that of New York or Los Angeles metro areas. The Tel Aviv metro area population is slightly larger than the borough of Brooklyn. I understand why TLV needed a petition, but Mumbai shouldn’t.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
The population of the Mumbai metropolitan area rivals that of New York or Los Angeles metro areas. The Tel Aviv metro area population is slightly larger than the borough of Brooklyn. I understand why TLV needed a petition, but Mumbai shouldn’t.
The gross population of a region is not the important factor, it is the amount of traffic/tickets that can be generated for the route (the air traveling population).

List of busiest airports by international passenger traffic] Neither TLV or BOM makes this list but it is only top 30

List of busiest airports by passenger traffic BOM makes this list but likely due to domestic travel

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2018 at 4:40 pm
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The gross population of a region is not the important factor, it is the amount of traffic/tickets that can be generated for the route (the air traveling population).

List of busiest airports by international passenger traffic] Neither TLV or BOM makes this list but it is only top 30

List of busiest airports by passenger traffic BOM makes this list but likely due to domestic travel
Not that I disagree with you, but on that point, SFO wouldn't be a worthy destination for BOM.

Chris
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Not that I disagree with you, but on that point, SFO wouldn't be a worthy destination for BOM. ...
Not sure how you draw that conclusion
SFO (56M in 2017) has more passenger enplanements that BOM(45M).
Digging a little deeper SFO had 13.4M international enplanements in 2017 and BOM had 11.9M
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:59 pm

Not sure how you draw that conclusion
SFO (56M in 2017) has more passenger enplanements that BOM(45M).
Digging a little deeper SFO had 13.4M international enplanements in 2017 and BOM had 11.9M
Just saying that SFO isn't in the top 30 in international enplanements either.

Chris
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Just saying that SFO isn't in the top 30 in international enplanements either.....
That wasn't the point, the point was enplanements is the better measure, not population but we already spend too much time on this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:19 pm

That wasn't the point, the point was enplanements is the better measure, not population but we already spend too much time on this.
Your point was taken. That's why we're not talking about SFO-DAC.

Chris
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Bangkok is in the top 10....
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
With crude oil prices approaching $70 a barrel, some long thin routes that might have penciled out a few months ago are likely now marginal at best. Hard to see them starting ULH to second tier cities at this point in time.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
With this logic, the fact that there is no nonstop flight from DEL (3rd largest metro area) to CGK (2nd largest metro area) is puzzling. Also, Karachi (6th largest metro area) is really underserved in terms of flights...

I think total passenger traffic, not just international passenger traffic, is more accurate. International traffic is skewed based on geography. FRA/AMS/CDG are in the EU, so a lot of their "international" traffic is almost equivalent to a domestic trip in the US. Furthermore, a place like DXB relies 100% on international passengers for all of their traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.