Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Positive Experiences with UA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Thumbs up United customer service is great!

Had a schedule change on a United codeshare long haul flight operated by Air New Zealand. ANZ changed the aircraft and departure time, which meant I would miss my ongoing United domestic flight. The TA advised it may cost me to replace the domestic flight and might need to claim on travel insurance.

Called United on 800 number, and got straight through to an actual person who promptly changed me to a later flight at no charge. Granted it is what you'd expect, but my experience with other airlines has been endless waiting on hold for a person, and then a charge,

Way to go United.
SteveHK and JimInOhio like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P
You shouldn't have to pay if they change you to an impossible flight... at least, if it's all on the same booking.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
You shouldn't have to pay if they change you to an impossible flight... at least, if it's all on the same booking.
That's the thing - they were separate bookings. I had purchased the long haul flight months ago. I purchased the onward domestic flight later so on a separate ticket. So I thought there could have been a problem with changing the second ticket.
Another good thing United have done for me in the past - in cases like this, same day second flight on a different United ticket ... they will check the bags through to the final destination despite being separate tickets. Some other airlines won't do that.

Not intending to be a UA cheerleader today. Just happy for once with an airline.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kryptonjohn
That's the thing - they were separate bookings. I had purchased the long haul flight months ago. I purchased the onward domestic flight later so on a separate ticket. So I thought there could have been a problem with changing the second ticket.
In that case it is good service. Separate tickets is always risky because of that and missing the onward flight in cases of IRROPS. It helps that UA and NZ have a joint venture (so UA’s getting revenue from your NZ flight) but they didn’t have to do it.
brp1264 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
In my experience, customer service over the phone with United is wonderful while their in airport customer service (at the check in desks and CS desks past security) is severely lacking. Go figure because you'd think the opposite.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I had a similar experience a few years ago on a trip to Sumatra. United would sell me a ticket to Singapore but not all the way to Sumatra so I had to buy a separate ticket to get all the way. Several airports on Sumatra were closed 2 days before my anticipated departure due to the smoke from forest fires but were opened again the following day so I was hopeful for our departure but we found -- after checking in for the flights from Sumatra back to Singapore that airports were closed again.

We got to Singapore the following morning but I had already missed my United flight and United had already cancelled my ticket. The Singapore Airlines agent who functioned as a United rep was singularly unhelpful (she suggested I go outside to the United reservations desk to get rebooked but that would have required entering the country and going through Customs and Immigration).

I finally located a non-tollfree number for United in Chicago on the Internet and called them using the payphone. Once I explained what had happened, the United rep found my record, reactivated my ticket and booked me on the same flight "tomorrow", saying he was sorry but "today's" flight had already departed. I was just happy to be able to get back home so I thanked him and got a boarding pass from Singapore Airlines agent then went to the computer to see if I could change my seat before I went looking for a bed for the night. Once I got to the reservation page, I found the United rep's flight "tomorrow" was MY flight in 90 minutes so I got Singapore Airlines to get my bag transfered and then happily made my way to get on my flight home.

For all the complaints I see on this forum, I have had very good experiences with United customer support.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I too find great service from UA by CS phone agents (occassionally there is an issue but that is <1% of the time), wonderful checkin agents at SAN and LHR (my two main checkin experiences), great gate agents at SAN. I am generally very happy with UA and do write in to UA to compliment the great UA people I meet along the way. In general, if I do experience poor CS it is from FAs - probably around 25% of my total FA experience but that means 75% of the time I get what I perceive as what I am expecting. However, I do understand some of the poor attitude by some FAs as some pax are appallingly rude.

I am a fan of UA and I do travel OALs.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by DCP2016
In my experience, customer service over the phone with United is wonderful while their in airport customer service (at the check in desks and CS desks past security) is severely lacking. Go figure because you'd think the opposite.
The difference?
"Your call maybe monitored or recorded."

Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
yes to UA customer service

I agree that UA customer service is excellent. I disagree that the reason is because calls are monitored.....

I call when I am advised of a schedule change. Prior to calling, I research my alternate options and request the one which works for me. Never missed. Also, I have never found UA agents to be intimidated by call monitoring?

In my most recent call, I learned that UA has complimentary SDCs for Gold members. That is another option worth considering?

Prior to speaking with an agent, I am asked whether ot not I want to be surveyed about my customer service experience within 24 h? I opt in - but have never been called. Anyone else with a similar experience? IMO, if you have an issue with call monitoring, let UA know: [email protected]
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I disagree that the reason is because calls are monitored.....
But how do you know?
I probably should have phrased it differently: the reason the ground staff is not always "so great" is because of LACK of monitoring. They pretty much can get away with anything, and there is no consequence. If called out on a particular issue, they simply deny and lie.
The call center staff has much better supervision and much better guidance .....it seems.
Or how would you account for the discrepancy between the courtesy and professionalism when calling in, as opposed to trying to get help at the airport?

(Note: there's fantastic airport CS staff too IMO, I am just generalizing here)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Just had a pretty outstanding crew on my SFO-DCA today. Lead FA (whatever they call 'em these days.. ISM? FSM? something like that) took a ton of initiative to do things right. When late-boarding F pax had nowhere for their bags, she did an inventory and gate-checked a Y pax bag from the F overhead, called out someone on the PA for bringing on a white-tagged bag, and rearranged the closet to make things work. Then, when it came time for meal orders, she was the first FA I've ever seen to actually do the proper order policy on a two-option flight: ask everyone for their first choice and sort in the galley. She proactively asked what people would do if their choice wasn't available, including offering meals from the back. Also when speed-collecting coats, managed to carry about eight at once. Wow!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Prior to speaking with an agent, I am asked whether ot not I want to be surveyed about my customer service experience within 24 h? I opt in - but have never been called. Anyone else with a similar experience?
I got a callback yesterday about 10 minutes after hanging up, from a Las Vegas number. The UA agent was great, but, unfortunately, the automated phone survey went to dead air after the first question and couldn't be completed.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that UA customer service is excellent. I disagree that the reason is because calls are monitored.....

I call when I am advised of a schedule change. Prior to calling, I research my alternate options and request the one which works for me. Never missed. Also, I have never found UA agents to be intimidated by call monitoring?

In my most recent call, I learned that UA has complimentary SDCs for Gold members. That is another option worth considering?

Prior to speaking with an agent, I am asked whether ot not I want to be surveyed about my customer service experience within 24 h? I opt in - but have never been called. Anyone else with a similar experience? IMO, if you have an issue with call monitoring, let UA know:
[email protected]
I have had a phone agent say 'between you, me and the recording' when making an exception.
BlueSky72, wavid and maverickar15 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Great service by Arlene (LAS checkin agent in the Premier area). She proactively got our party of three (three different PNRs due to one award booking and the automatic splitting of the PNR) on an earlier flight as delays in SFO today due to weather. She even kept our upgrades for the earlier flight. Am writing in later today with the compliment for her.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Wanted to give a special shout out to Joy who works at the UA club in ATL.

Normally a DL hub, didn't expect ATL to have great UA infrastructure, but the club is very nice there (self-serve bar with wine and beer) and great people working there.

Joy helped me evaluate the chances of my RPU clearing on a 777 flight from ORD to SFO. She even had details like what status levels were ahead and behind me so I would know whether to use my coupon or switch to another flight. In the end, she helped me look for the best possible routing to get back to SFO after a long day of work flying, and got me on a dreamliner from IAH back to SFO for me to catch some sleep on the ride home.
BlueSky72 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.