Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
UA4108 EWR-BWI 06/26/18

Offer is for $1000, overnight accommodations and meal vouchers- looking for 2 volunteers.

David

p.s. At boarding-5 mins, offer is now $2000 each

p.p.s. On board - GA needs 1 more - raised to $3000 - and gets a volunteer
seanp7, jjmoore, zeer0 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by DELee; Jun 26, 2018 at 7:43 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
UA4108 EWR-BWI 06/26/18

Offer is for $1000, overnight accommodations and meal vouchers- looking for 2 volunteers.

David

Looks like everyone on that flight flies on other people's money or something. EWR-BWI can be driven in 3.5 hours, for Pete's sake, but they only got one volunteer at $2,000?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
UA4108 EWR-BWI 06/26/18
That volunteer was you...right?....right!?

Here I am thinking $500 are a lot.
seanp7, jjmoore and zeer0 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Bonus: The XN booking turned into a Y booking, and since she is UA Gold, she was able to instant upgrade into first class on today's flight.
Congrats! My understanding was that YB(M) instant-UPs inside 120h were banned in order to close this loophole. Is this no longer true? Did she actually select the "free upgrade" button or was she CPUed in the regular way?

Last edited by sexykitten7; Jun 27, 2018 at 6:16 pm Reason: fixed link
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
UA4108 EWR-BWI 06/26/18

David

Wow, I would have taken the $1000 and gotten on Amtrak.
Flying Machine and zeer0 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by diburning
Yeah damn. How come it went so high? Some can’t miss conference the next day in BWI?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Congrats! My understanding was that YB(M) instant-UPs inside 120h were banned in order to close this loophole. Is this no longer true? Did she actually select the "free upgrade" button or was she CPUed in the regular way?
it was instant-up .... but oddly after check-in. I went to the "view reservation" choice and it appeared there. I didnt even think twice.... clicked it and she was immediately cleared into RN..... also not showing up on the cleared upgrades in the flight status. Very weird.......
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
28 June
YYZ-ORD
5:40pm
1 x $1000, accom and/or re-route.
Didn't hear if anyone took it or whether it was raised.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:10 pm

UA4108 EWR-BWI 06/26/18

David

the other direction I can envision hesitation if lots of connections, including international, to be made in EWR. But no one would be connecting at BWI. I’m shocked it got above $1000.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Odd one today...

Had an odd one today. Scheduled on IAD-MAD tomorrow (6/30), with R via a GPU (cleared at booking). Got the proactive re-routing call for a "limited time special offer."

I hadn't eyeballed this flight as a potential oversale, except to note that J was "Full," so I wasn't prepared with a set of alternatives. I called in anyway, and got a nice agent who was happy to look for something and to preserve the upgrade. (Of course, not all United business class is created equally...) Long story short, I didn't like the first alternative she came up with, but before I got too creative, I wanted to talk numbers. The agent said that the flight was even, so she couldn't offer compensation for a VDB. I assumed they got someone else to take the offer and let the matter drop.

When I checked a little later, J was showing 28 (+1 blocked) / 30 (and inventory was J1 Y1). It appears to be Y that's oversold, not J -- I was confused as to how J would have been oversold without an equipment swap anyway. So, (a) I wonder why they were calling J passengers to swap, and (b) I wonder if the agent just looked at J without noticing that Y was oversold.

Still, it looks like somebody called up and got a 2-person VDB (4A & 4B are now available), presumably while United's call was wending its way through my voicemail. Moral of the story, as always: the early bird gets the worm.

PS: As I check, the flight is now J1 Y0. Maybe I've got a chance at the gate...
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jsloan
Had an odd one today. Scheduled on IAD-MAD tomorrow (6/30), with R via a GPU (cleared at booking). Got the proactive re-routing call for a "limited time special offer."

I hadn't eyeballed this flight as a potential oversale, except to note that J was "Full," so I wasn't prepared with a set of alternatives. I called in anyway, and got a nice agent who was happy to look for something and to preserve the upgrade. (Of course, not all United business class is created equally...) Long story short, I didn't like the first alternative she came up with, but before I got too creative, I wanted to talk numbers. The agent said that the flight was even, so she couldn't offer compensation for a VDB. I assumed they got someone else to take the offer and let the matter drop.

When I checked a little later, J was showing 28 (+1 blocked) / 30 (and inventory was J1 Y1). It appears to be Y that's oversold, not J -- I was confused as to how J would have been oversold without an equipment swap anyway. So, (a) I wonder why they were calling J passengers to swap, and (b) I wonder if the agent just looked at J without noticing that Y was oversold.

Still, it looks like somebody called up and got a 2-person VDB (4A & 4B are now available), presumably while United's call was wending its way through my voicemail. Moral of the story, as always: the early bird gets the worm.

PS: As I check, the flight is now J1 Y0. Maybe I've got a chance at the gate...
I would bet someone beat you to it... likely oversold in Y from the start as now J is showing one blocked (though this may be for crew rest as well). If it showed full/full, I would be more likely to say the flight is in some state of true oversale. Who knows... very tricky to say. The new polaris has exactly the same number of seats in J and Y, so an aircraft swap is out of the question. I have only seen J oversold when there is a broken seat or last minute FAM's kick ppl out (though this is always an assumption since the airline will never reveal that). Keep us posted if they ask for volunteers.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Looks like everyone on that flight flies on other people's money or something. EWR-BWI can be driven in 3.5 hours, for Pete's sake, but they only got one volunteer at $2,000?
Nope - most of the folk on the plane were less than business dressed - this was a E145. I think that they got 2 volunteers at $2,000 - but I didn't clarify. At least while we were in the gate area, the woman who went up at $2,000 seemed to be the 2x.

Originally Posted by BThumme
That volunteer was you...right?....right!?

Here I am thinking $500 are a lot.
I agree that even $500 is a lot. Sadly, I had to not only get to the DC area but also then drive the Beltway to stay near IAD for a meeting that started at 8 AM. I unfortunately did not have the latitude of time to skip this flight - and I still had an hour drive from BWI to IAD.

Originally Posted by diburning
In a different time, yeah but I couldn't miss getting to my all day meeting.

Originally Posted by dordal
Yeah damn. How come it went so high? Some can’t miss conference the next day in BWI?

Doubtful on an conference - most folk did not appear to know others except for those travelling in pairs. See my answer below on why it likely went so high.

Originally Posted by prometa
the other direction I can envision hesitation if lots of connections, including international, to be made in EWR. But no one would be connecting at BWI. I’m shocked it got above $1000.

The reason I booked this flight is that it is the latest flight into WAS from EWR. I've tried to make the less than hour connect for the other flights that depart between 8 and 9 pm from any of the mid morning West Coast departure t.p.s. flights and it usually doesn't work well.

Also, as an additional set of things I didn't want to have to fight with that evening: spending time with UAX and/or UA agents to then repair my PNR if I ended up not taking a flight the next day and/or getting UA to send me to IAD instead of BWI, getting Avis to cancel my rental at BWI and then getting a car in EWR - or getting on an Amtrak train and then getting no car at Union Station and having to schlep down to DCA for a rental, likely getting into my hotel way way way late (assuming they held on to the room for me - even as a MR Platinum Premier) and then not being in any shape for my meetings nor also having do deal with ironing and other mundane details to be ready...

David

Last edited by DELee; Jul 1, 2018 at 12:45 am
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:04 pm

VDB Notification Procedure

Curious.

UA4420 EWR BWI July 5.

Checked bag and advised of potential of VDB compensation at kiosk. Offered $200, $300, $400, or other. Choose $300. No Pre at Terminal A, Concourse 2, so did not get to UA Club until 20 minutes prior to boarding. Not being too familiar with the VDB process, I asked the Club agent (her name tag identified her as ‘Global Services', so I assume some higher level of experience) how early I should get to the gate prior to boarding time to check to see if volunteers were needed. She checked the computer, told me 5-7 minutes prior to boarding time was OK, and confirmed that I was on the VDB list. She also advised that the flight was oversold and that up to $1000 was being offered as compensation. I proceeded to grab a quick bite to eat.

I got to the gate at just 7 minutes prior to boarding. I asked the status of VDB persons. The GA told me that she asked for volunteers about 45 minutes ago (so about 52 minutes prior to boarding) and she had her volunteers, didn’t need anymore, and she added that she likely wouldn’t need any volunteers at all. And in the future, I should be at the gate about an hour in advance OF BOARDING if I was interested in VDB.

Turns out she was right about not needing volunteers. Left with 4 seats open

My question is when should I get to the gate – 60 minutes prior to boarding or 5-7 minutes prior to boarding?Thanks!

(As I am typing this, still on the ground, 105 minutes past scheduled departure.)
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lamphs
.. My question is when should I get to the gate – 60 minutes prior to boarding or 5-7 minutes prior to boarding?...
Depends on the gate agent and the degree of overbooking, could be either. 6o minutes is a bit on the unusually earlier side but if heavily overbooked, some will be more proactive.

If heavily overbook, the GA will be making decisions at 30 minutes or earlier (domestically) prior to departure but if only over a few it may be as late as 15 minutes to departure. And the GA will be building the list and checking for folk to be in the gate areas earlier.

If looking for VDB you need to be in the Gate area and not in the lounge. GA will only deal with those they can see in person.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Depends on the gate agent and the degree of overbooking, could be either. 6o minutes is a bit on the unusually earlier side but if heavily overbooked, some will be more proactive.

If heavily overbook, the GA will be making decisions at 30 minutes or earlier (domestically) prior to departure but if only over a few it may be as late as 15 minutes to departure. And the GA will be building the list and checking for folk to be in the gate areas earlier.

If looking for VDB you need to be in the Gate area and not in the lounge. GA will only deal with those they can see in person.
Thanks very much...good information!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.