Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alextktan
Thanks for quick response. I am UA Gold and have the United Club CC. Will it help? ...
As a Plat in PremPLus witha Club Card,generically might give myself less than 20% chance but it varies depending on actual routing and day of the week. Without more detials hard to provide more guidance.

As for seeing the list, UA makes that visible 2-3 days in advance There use to be a hack to see it earlier but that appears to have been closed. Calling might get an answer but be aware many late bookers will get ahead of you as time of request is only matters as tie break if all other parameters are equally. Status being the most important and fare (& PremPlus if long haul) , the rest are just small differentiators.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 31, 2024 at 11:06 am
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
The other day I was #8 on the CPU list for a FLL-EWR flight on an "L" fare. I applied my own GS PPs, and remained at #8. I called GS, and they acknowledged the seven above me were all GS (or GS-sponsored) with PP on higher fares. First time I've been so low with PPs applied, and never worse than first loser.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by wxguy
The other day I was #8 on the CPU list for a FLL-EWR flight on an "L" fare. I applied my own GS PPs, and remained at #8. I called GS, and they acknowledged the seven above me were all GS (or GS-sponsored) with PP on higher fares. First time I've been so low with PPs applied, and never worse than first loser.
Interesting. You, as a GS with lower fare, was below a GS sponsored none-GS at higher fare. So in this case fare trumps status?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Interesting. You, as a GS with lower fare, was below a GS sponsored none-GS at higher fare. So in this case fare trumps status?
Non-GS when on the same PNR, are prioritized as GS (substitute any status level for GS and the same is true -- all on a PNR are prioritize together per the highest elite.
SPN Lifer, wxguy and PanAmWT like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster and GameStop, several libraries
Booked UA1835 from LAX to IAD for this Thursday (4/4) in class T one week or so ago.
8 out of 20 seats in Business still appear to be bookable right now. As a GS, when would seats be released for upgrades?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lessthanzero
Booked UA1835 from LAX to IAD for this Thursday (4/4) in class T one week or so ago.
8 out of 20 seats in Business still appear to be bookable right now. As a GS, when would seats be released for upgrades?
Anytime between now and boarding. If I had to guess, a first upgrade doled out around 36-30 hours out. If other GSs on flight, a T fare might put you behind them. Do you have PPs applied? A CPU might be (eventually) hopeless for that relatively long flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Flying LAX-IAH-EZE Premium Plus with a paid waitlist upgrade to Polaris IAH-EZE...

How likely will the upgrade clear (understand its hard to predict), but the flight is in May with plenty of inventory.

Also, if it is going to clear, any chance I would know before I fly?

I wonder how they handle Polaris Lounge access - i assume if my waitlist hasnt or doesnt clear, until "day of" , then any lounge access depends on the time it clears right?

Would be a shame if i am in Houston for a 4 hour layover and the waitlist clears 2 hours before departure i guess (?)

Just wondering what other folks have experienced
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Anytime between now and boarding. If I had to guess, a first upgrade doled out around 36-30 hours out. If other GSs on flight, a T fare might put you behind them. Do you have PPs applied? A CPU might be (eventually) hopeless for that relatively long flight.
I'll take the over. I think GS can clear CPU on a Thursday. Might be the only upgrade though.

Agree that T-36h is likely when it would happen. If they hold to T-24h, hopes get very slim indeed.
SPN Lifer and IAH-OIL-TRASH like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by caseminole
...I wonder how they handle Polaris Lounge access - i assume if my waitlist hasnt or doesnt clear, until "day of" , then any lounge access depends on the time it clears right?

Would be a shame if i am in Houston for a 4 hour layover and the waitlist clears 2 hours before departure i guess (?)...
No Polaris access until you are in Polaris cabin. United is obviously not going to let everyone on a waitlist into the PL - that would be ridiculous. United hasn't been clearing upgrades early, but if inventory isn't too tight (leaving 1 or 2 seats for gate handling), you'll probably get the upgrade prior to IAH arrival.
caseminole likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:22 am

Programs: None
Update - upgrade cleared sfo > fco

Originally Posted by julietnov
-----

Thanks for clarifying there are so many different options, just wishful thinking over here . Will continue to check for the PZ fare to pop up!
Originally Posted by julietnov
Hey all! New to this upgrade game. I purchased a ticket from SFO > ROME that departs in 25 days (United Premium Plus R). Currently, there are almost ~28 empty seats in Polaris on my outbound flight and about ~17 on my return flight. I can "upgrade my cabin" with points + cash (20k points + $425 each way). I have about 4500 points in United but a ton in Chase that I could transfer only thing is I rarely fly United, so I would prefer to transfer if my odds are good.

I am trying to use expert mode to determine:
  1. What are the options for Polaris (given no status)?
  2. Will more open up?
  3. What are the odds of upgrading from Premium Plus > to Polaris given the available fare classes?
  4. When the upgrade might clear before transferring points.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

SFO > FCO (Seat map says 28 available in Polaris)
  • J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O2, ON2, A1, R0, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, XN9, X9
FCO > SFO (Seat map says 17 available in Polaris)
  • J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O4, ON4, A2, R0, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, XN9, X9
----------------------------------------------
I was monitoring all week. On Wed, Mar 28, 2024 I purchased refundable Prem Plus for SFO > FCO (Mon Apr 22) leg & FCO > SFC (Thur 9 May) Prem Plus was $4200 less than Polaris at the time. At the time the seat map showed 28 empty seats in Polaris (I know that is not an accurate number of empty seats - see the available fares above using expert mode). On Fri Mar 29 I pulled the trigger and transferred some Chase points thinking my odds were pretty good at snagging an upgrade at least on the SFO > FCO leg as nobody was on the WL at the time, seat map showed 28 empty seats and J9/P9. I monitored daily to see if a PZ fare opened, when I woke up this morning (Thurs, April 4) United sent me an SMS at 3:25 AM Pacific saying my upgrade had been confirmed to Polaris (no email or push notification).

As of this morning expert mode shows:
  • J9,JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, PZ9, IN9, I9, O9, ON9, A9, R9, RN9, Y9,YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, XN9, X9
I did not add myself to the upgrade list or transfer points for my return leg as I feel like my odds are less good right now (will continue to monitor for PZ fare). I have no status, as of last week there were already 5 people on the WL ahead of me (according to United Rep with 17 seats showing unassigned on seat map. Today it's showing 15 unassigned seats (upgrade cash $928 or 20k points + $425 to be added to WL).

J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O4, ON4, A1, R0, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, XN9, X9
jsloan, Ski CB and VRFast like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you made it before T-24h, right?

?
Old Apr 4, 2024, 5:51 pm

Flew UA863 SFO-SYD last night and, on a BE ticket, was assigned 49J. The seat map on the United App was showing the "preferred" Economy seating 90% empty, ie rows 30-43 on a 77W. At the gate I asked if I could pay for 38A or 38L (knowing that upgrades are verboten on BE tix) and without the slightest fuss and without taking payment the gate agent reassigned my seat.
Now this is not so much an "upgrade" as most of the content of this thread, but I think there is a lesson here. For a flight that has a lot of spare seats, a polite enquiry at the gate may yield results that would not be possible online. My wife and I achieved an upgrade on UA839 LAX-SYD a couple of years ago in the same manner, although there was a payment required there, but I still credit my direct, but polite and easy, approach for gaining the result.
SPN Lifer, narvik and tstauck like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by John Darcy
Flew UA863 SFO-SYD last night and, on a BE ticket, was assigned 49J. The seat map on the United App was showing the "preferred" Economy seating 90% empty, ie rows 30-43 on a 77W. At the gate I asked if I could pay for 38A or 38L (knowing that upgrades are verboten on BE tix) and without the slightest fuss and without taking payment the gate agent reassigned my seat.
Now this is not so much an "upgrade" as most of the content of this thread, but I think there is a lesson here. For a flight that has a lot of spare seats, a polite enquiry at the gate may yield results that would not be possible online. My wife and I achieved an upgrade on UA839 LAX-SYD a couple of years ago in the same manner, although there was a payment required there, but I still credit my direct, but polite and easy, approach for gaining the result.
It happens quite often to me. If I have a gate or Club agent double check my flight, about half the time I end up being moved to preferred or E+. I am 1k, so it likely has something to do with it. Last week, I enjoyed the exit row on three legs and seat 22L on a B789 performing a domestic leg.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster and GameStop, several libraries
Originally Posted by fumje
I think you made it before T-24h, right?

?
I did get it around 24 hours out. Kept watching the open seats and based on that saw no reason to apply plus points. However, I had 4 later flights clear upgrades for me (sometimes with companions) while waiting, and some of those were the max 120 hours out. Oh well, can't complain about free upgrades.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did get it around 24 hours out. Kept watching the open seats and based on that saw no reason to apply plus points. However, I had 4 later flights clear upgrades for me (sometimes with companions) while waiting, and some of those were the max 120 hours out. Oh well, can't complain about free upgrades.
I think there's some kind of hold on redeye upgrades, but I don't know the parameters. I've had them held to the gate even when there was clearly no need for that, and then they cleared perhaps 8 pax at once giving no one a chance for seat selection. Anyway, can't complain (much ) if it clears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.