Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:51 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by akb9x
flying april 25th iad-hnd in premium plus. I just went into the upgrade offer section and for the first time i have ever seen the miles and money option says 6 seats left and not the usual "waitlist". I went and double checked the fare codes and saw pz6.
Does this mean if i put for the miles and money or pluspoints it will immediately clear? Also could i have one upgrade sponsored with plus points and the other with miles and money, as my husband only has 40 pluspoints at the moment.
do it asap....
SPN Lifer, akb9x and tstauck like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
We'd need exact dates to be able to offer more precise insights. My hunch/anecdotal knowledge is that Australia flights these days are generally easy upgrades, so even if your odds on your currently booked flights are slim, you should be able to switch to a different flight with confirmable space or higher chances without too much inconvenience, i.e., SFO-LAX-SYD on the same day instead of the nonstop.
Thanks for the comments. Any notes to share regarding the nonstop CHC-SFO? Its a newer route for UA on the smaller 787-8 with 28 in Polaris. The load for this route normally (it operates 3x/wk)? The 777-300 operates from Auckland, just looking to avoid the extra connection.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:45 am

Programs: UA Silver
UA760 from DEN to MUC on April 10. Booked about 2 weeks ago in Premium Plus, and immediately did a MileagePlus + copay upgrade request. UA silver. Currently waitlisted, seat map shows 9 empty Polaris at the moment but still 2 weeks out.

PP obviously helps me a lot but I’m thinking with the dearth of international nonstops out of DEN my chances aren’t great. Thoughts?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akb9x
Flying April 25th IAD-HND in premium plus. I just went into the upgrade offer section and for the first time I have ever seen the miles and money option says 6 seats left and not the usual "waitlist". I went and double checked the fare codes and saw PZ6.
Does this mean if I put for the miles and money or pluspoints it will immediately clear? Also could I have one upgrade sponsored with plus points and the other with miles and money, as my husband only has 40 pluspoints at the moment.
Did you get it ?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Azmordean
UA760 from DEN to MUC on April 10. Booked about 2 weeks ago in Premium Plus, and immediately did a MileagePlus + copay upgrade request. UA silver. Currently waitlisted, seat map shows 9 empty Polaris at the moment but still 2 weeks out.

PP obviously helps me a lot but I’m thinking with the dearth of international nonstops out of DEN my chances aren’t great. Thoughts?
Inventory is J7 C7 D4 Z3 P1, which means that there are only seven seats left for sale (two booked pax must have not assigned seats). Every elite with higher status already in PP, plus anyone in Y using a GS instrument, will be ahead of you. I'd say your chances are pretty close to zero.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Gold
Yes, I got it. It's 14 hours so I definitely wanted to be able to sleep flat for a few hours. This flight is so wide open right now, I am pretty surprised by it. Maybe because of Golden Week?
I didn't bother with splitting the PNR and just used money and miles. I checked again this morning and it is down to PZ2.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Kmxu like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by pampa
I see, so it's better to stay #8 for Thursday than who knows what position on Wednesday, but potentially 10-16th?
So I didn't change my flight for tomorrow and just got upgraded (between T-36 and T-32ish). I think I was 7th yesterday or something.

Now, I was watching yesterday's UA 63 and something interesting happened. They had 26 out of 50 seats open at first. The list had 10 people on it. However, it only cleared at the time of boarding. So I assumed that for my flight tomorrow, I would only be cleared during boarding (if I made it) and not have lounge access.

However, for my flight, a lot of the people on the list were upgraded between T-36 and T-32 and with way less seats available (in fact, everyone yesterday was upgraded, while for my flight many won't be). So I wonder why the late upgrade on that flight and not on mine. Not that I'm complaining.
Kmxu likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:58 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pampa
So I didn't change my flight for tomorrow and just got upgraded (between T-36 and T-32ish). I think I was 7th yesterday or something.

Now, I was watching yesterday's UA 63 and something interesting happened. They had 26 out of 50 seats open at first. The list had 10 people on it. However, it only cleared at the time of boarding. So I assumed that for my flight tomorrow, I would only be cleared during boarding (if I made it) and not have lounge access.

However, for my flight, a lot of the people on the list were upgraded between T-36 and T-32 and with way less seats available (in fact, everyone yesterday was upgraded, while for my flight many won't be). So I wonder why the late upgrade on that flight and not on mine. Not that I'm complaining.
Congratulations. Hope that you will enjoy the flight and Polaris lounge at IAH.
You would get the upgrade cleared for today's flight, too, if you did change your flight. Most of those on both WLs are nonrevs. You would be placed ahead of all of them in WLs. Typically, United clears the WLs down to 3 seats at T-36 h, but nonrevs are cleared at gate.
jsloan and pampa like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by dkc192
Inventory is J7 C7 D4 Z3 P1, which means that there are only seven seats left for sale (two booked pax must have not assigned seats). Every elite with higher status already in PP, plus anyone in Y using a GS instrument, will be ahead of you. I'd say your chances are pretty close to zero.
Makes sense. Though, my understanding is Premium Plus clears before all Economy even GS. At least multiple articles report as such. Not that I expect that to make much difference. International flying from Denver is the worst 😜
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Makes sense. Though, my understanding is Premium Plus clears before all Economy even GS. At least multiple articles report as such.
Your understanding is incorrect, as are all of those articles. GS instruments in Y will clear before non-GS instruments in PE.
SPN Lifer and RobOnLI like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Makes sense. Though, my understanding is Premium Plus clears before all Economy even GS. At least multiple articles report as such. ...
This is very misunderstood.
It is true for normal PZ upgrades BUT PN upgrades (those for GS or flyers using GS instruments) are always ahead others, as shown on UA's chart)
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:04 am

Programs: None
Question Upgrade to Polaris?

Hey all! New to this upgrade game. I purchased a ticket from SFO > ROME that departs in 25 days (United Premium Plus R). Currently, there are almost ~28 empty seats in Polaris on my outbound flight and about ~17 on my return flight. I can "upgrade my cabin" with points + cash (20k points + $425 each way). I have about 4500 points in United but a ton in Chase that I could transfer only thing is I rarely fly United, so I would prefer to transfer if my odds are good.

I am trying to use expert mode to determine:
  1. What are the options for Polaris (given no status)?
  2. Will more open up?
  3. What are the odds of upgrading from Premium Plus > to Polaris given the available fare classes?
  4. When the upgrade might clear before transferring points.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

SFO > FCO (Seat map says 28 available in Polaris)
  • J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O2, ON2, A1, R0, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, XN9, X9
FCO > SFO (Seat map says 17 available in Polaris)
  • J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O4, ON4, A2, R0, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, XN9, X9
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:07 am

Programs: United
SFO-SIN A to J

Long time watcher, rare poster, thanks in advance / apologies for misses...
Lowly Silver (with a +1 no status, same PNR) both booked in PP (A) hoping for J, looking at applying miles+copay (waitlist of course) for SFO-SIN (and maybe vv but less important imo) in Mid-May, Thursday PM flight (UA1). Not seeing any options for cash only upgrade, may have something to do with it being an agency booking (A to J cash price from agency was too much).

From all my reading it looks like it's very unlikely to clear given the popularity of instruments on this route and UA waiting until the last minute to release any PZ, I spoke with UA yesterday who currently said 3x 1K on the list from PP w/instruments but we're ~6 weeks out (also why I am not posting inventory) which seems an eternity.

But for anyone with first hand experience ... Is there ... any realistic chance this could work out for us? Thanks in advance.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by Ski CB; Mar 28, 2024 at 7:11 am Reason: updated agency comment on cash price
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by julietnov
Hey all! New to this upgrade game. I purchased a ticket from SFO > ROME that departs in 25 days (United Premium Plus R). Currently, there are almost ~28 empty seats in Polaris on my outbound flight and about ~17 on my return flight. I can "upgrade my cabin" with points + cash (20k points + $425 each way). I have about 4500 points in United but a ton in Chase that I could transfer only thing is I rarely fly United, so I would prefer to transfer if my odds are good.

I am trying to use expert mode to determine:
  1. What are the options for Polaris (given no status)?
  2. Will more open up?
  3. What are the odds of upgrading from Premium Plus > to Polaris given the available fare classes?
  4. When the upgrade might clear before transferring points.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

SFO > FCO (Seat map says 28 available in Polaris)
  • J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O2, ON2, A1, R0, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, XN9, X9
FCO > SFO (Seat map says 17 available in Polaris)
  • J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O4, ON4, A2, R0, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, XN9, X9
Welcome to FT!

I think that SFO-FCO is on Monday, April 22, but I cannot figure out the return date.
In an ideal world, you grab PZ space when it appears if mile transfer is instantaneous (PZ space will likely disappear in a few hours). You can monitor PN (and PZ) space more closely (daily) before deciding on transferring miles. Meanwhile, you can use the "date trick" to find your position on Polaris WL. If you have a good chance, transfer the miles and put yourself on WL. Do the same thing for the return trip. If it is in the middle of week, you will still have a chance.
Good luck!
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Mar 28, 2024 at 8:27 am Reason: Add welcome
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:40 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Welcome to FT!

I think that SFO-FCO is on Monday, April 22, but I cannot figure out the return date.
In an ideal world, you grab PZ space when it appears if mile transfer is instantaneous (PZ space will likely disappear in a few hours). You can monitor PN (and PZ) space more closely (daily) before deciding on transferring miles. Meanwhile, you can use the "date trick" to find your position on Polaris WL. If you have a good chance, transfer the miles and put yourself on WL. Do the same thing for the return trip. If it is in the middle of week, you will still have a chance.
Good luck!
--------
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and speedy reply!

The Return flight is on Thursday May 9. Right now, it's $1350 to upgrade in cash each way, which is a bit steep (but I flew biz last summer to Europe and know the benefits).

I am correct in understanding that my odds are good only if it is PN & PZ "fares." If that happens, I can add myself to the list. If those don't appear, is it worth going on the waitist (at least one way before)?

I am not familiar with the "date trick" - I only just learned of these other fares and expert mode last night and have been trying to understand - are you able to point me in the right direction (step by step would be appreciated)?

Last edited by julietnov; Mar 28, 2024 at 8:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.