Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Showers removed from all domestic United Clubs (and now returning to EWR, others?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Why / When would you like to use a shower at a UA lounge / club?

Presently for UCs, only the C123 EWR UC has showers
All the Polaris lounges have showers
The SFO T2 MLL has showers

Reported the new DEN UC will have showers and showers will be introduced at hub UCs when remodeled
Print Wikipost

Showers removed from all domestic United Clubs (and now returning to EWR, others?)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
SFO has Freshen Up! in the Intl Terminal.

https://www.flysfo.com/content/showers
The most worthwhile money I have ever spent in an aerodrome is at Freshen Up! SFO after a TPAC flight.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I believe SYD also has some airside but you need to have your own towel.

I think it's a really underserved business. I am sure many travelers on flights that arrive really early or leave really late would gladly spend $8-$20 (depending on level of service) for a nice shower after/before a flight.
SYD has showers landside and airside requiring your own towel as well as in the ANZ & SIA lounges post security (not accessible after alighting an aeroplane).

I have used Freshen Up! at SFO quite a number of times but am always surprised that I am the only customer at the particular time.

Originally Posted by cova
To me, showers is the most important feature of the clubs, you can skip the food and the alcohol.
^^^

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Big They should have been expanding showers into PMUA lounges.
The glaring omission of showers from the otherwise brilliant LAX UC is a decision that affects all passengers on flights out of LAX sitting next to people who could have done with one!

Originally Posted by Eadward
+infinity. This is a big step in the wrong direction. Showers are one of the things that make flying humane.
The trek I have to make to TBIT from T7 is always worth it (to me and those sitting near me) but sometimes I am hot and flustered by the time I get back to T7

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think it has everything to do with cost. Like pretty much everything else these days.
I would happily (but begrudgingly* ) pay $20 for a shower and space to change into fresh clothes.
*begrudgingly because I am sure some folks drink $20 worth of alcohol where as I choose not to when flying.

Last edited by Aspen; Oct 4, 2017 at 4:38 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The jewel in the UA Club network is LHR.
What is UA planning to do with LHR? Eliminate showers from the club?
Where does Polaris lounge go - already have GF lounge, does that get expanded for Polaris?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
This is unfortunate. Many times I've enjoyed using the showers at IAH Terminals C or E before catching a flight after work on a Friday to change and freshen up. Makes me wonder if I should ditch the UA Club membership.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
Fortunately, the new UC at LHR has showers. I've used them several times while at LHR for connecting flights (as recently as yesterday). While not usually needed for domestic itineraries, showers should be available at international hubs, even for economy passengers.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:44 pm

They'd better not get rid of showers at HKG UC. They supposedly underwent renovation just 1-2 years ago, so hopefully HKG is safe for a while shower-wise.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Aspen
The most worthwhile money I have ever spent in an aerodrome is at Freshen Up! SFO after a TPAC flight.
The only issues I have with Freshen Up is that I have to leave security. I've used it once and there was no way to control temperature. It was either burning hot water or off.

I havent had the chance to try it lately as my connections have been very short.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Does the UA club at NRT have showers (regular club not GF Lounge)? Some places on the internet say yes but UA website (most reliable?) indicates no.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Does the UA club at NRT have showers (regular club not GF Lounge)? Some places on the internet say yes but UA website (most reliable?) indicates no.
I didn’t see any when I was out there a few weeks ago. ANA lounge does have showers, though.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
AFAIK, the showers still remain at NRT. It is weird they removed the indication on united.com though. They also indicate no showers at HKG, and I know there are some as of a couple weeks ago.

As Hergertarian noted, at NRT the ANA lounge is a good backup, if needed.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:20 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

You're assuming a J or F arrival from Asia. With UA now, no showers for Y pax under any circumstances. They're arguably the ones who need one the most.
Not true. I've showered at NRT and HKG lounges before with just a Chase day pass while flying Y
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by caverunner17
Not true. I've showered at NRT and HKG lounges before with just a Chase day pass while flying Y
Unless they took them out or are no longer offering the service - something that wouldn't surprise me at this point - Kirby is so bad, I'm almost wondering if we should have kept Smisek after all - sort of like those "Miss me yet?" .

The loss at NRT would be a shame, as those in-the-know would head to the UA club to shower and change because the UA shower rooms were at a cooler temperature and a fan was available, vs the sauna-hot ANA showers where you're back to being sweat-soaked before you have a chance to put your clothes back on.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 13, 2017 at 5:46 am Reason: OMNI content removed
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
AFAIK, the showers still remain at NRT. It is weird they removed the indication on united.com though. They also indicate no showers at HKG, and I know there are some as of a couple weeks ago.

As Hergertarian noted, at NRT the ANA lounge is a good backup, if needed.
thank you for the tip re: ANA. I will try next week and report back on the status of the showers. Agree it's strange it's not shown on UA.com
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by stopdiabetes
Club at Terminal E IAH has showers.
When I win Houston last month they were renovating and no showers were available at any location due to this renovation. Assuming they are making a polaris lounge out of it.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by halls120
Exactly. One of the few advantages for me in using IAH as an arrival point from South America were the showers there. Now that they are gone, I guess its over to AA and an arrival through DFW.
Just had this happen flying GIG-IAH-SJO and disappointed indeed with no showers.

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
You'll be able to use once Polaris lounge opens
Only if in business class cabin.

Also I do like the new polaris lounges, they have quite a few shower rooms at ORD and accept arriving business class customers on international flights. However both LF and UA should have exhaust fans in those rooms it always heats up way too much and you leave with sweat on you for you don't want to take forever and won't cool down without opening the door.

I too agree that showers at hubs in UC are such a welcome amenity. I certainly wish those would be standard. It was always so competitive for the shower at IAH but nice to know they have them.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:06 pm

With UA now, no showers for Y pax under any circumstances.
I see caverunner's response to this above. I too almost always fly coach and have showered at HKG and NRT.

Was this a mistake, or is this a new policy I didn't know about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.