Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Showers removed from all domestic United Clubs (and now returning to EWR, others?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Why / When would you like to use a shower at a UA lounge / club?

Presently for UCs, only the C123 EWR UC has showers
All the Polaris lounges have showers
The SFO T2 MLL has showers

Reported the new DEN UC will have showers and showers will be introduced at hub UCs when remodeled
Print Wikipost

Showers removed from all domestic United Clubs (and now returning to EWR, others?)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Showers are a niche product. Do the math. There's only so many showers stalls. There's exponentially more people flowing through clubs. Sure, they're nice when you want one, but I can see why airlines don't invest heavily in them. They're a space and resource-consuming product that's only used by a fraction of people.
What if airlines made their shower rooms more like gym style showers where it's basically a small stall, curtain, and water. At some point, I don't even care how nice the shower is, I just need liquid water.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
UA is making and has made improvements in the UC, albeit without showers. I like the improvements with new furniture, outlets, etc. although it was VERY much needed anyway.

The Polaris lounges could possibly work for me as I usually connect into hubs off international where I need the shower, which arriving business class passengers are allowed access. It is the domestic flights where I don't have a big need, but would be nice. Thus I want and need to take a shower as an arriving international passenger and hope to use the Polaris lounge or other *A lounge at that airport with a shower.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Showers are common internationally in lounges in major airports around the world, particularly where people fly in on red-eyes and continue on. It's only civilized.

Domestically they should be mandatory in all airports that are major international hubs and airports where you have red-eye arrivals.

Sad to see UA's policy here. CO was much better on this.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by schley
UA is making and has made improvements in the UC, albeit without showers. I like the improvements with new furniture, outlets, etc. although it was VERY much needed anyway.

The Polaris lounges could possibly work for me as I usually connect into hubs off international where I need the shower, which arriving business class passengers are allowed access. It is the domestic flights where I don't have a big need, but would be nice. Thus I want and need to take a shower as an arriving international passenger and hope to use the Polaris lounge or other *A lounge at that airport with a shower.
Just to make sure you are not disappointed, be aware thet entry into Polaris lounge for arriving passengers is only if you arrive on United metal. No Star Alliance Gold access as an arrival lounge. And you also need to be able to physically get to the lounge, dependent on your ticket specifics.

As an example, if you arrive in Chicago (ORD) as a final destination, the lounge is not accessible at all, as it is air-side for domestic departures.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:11 am

I can see how it's kinda logical in terms of product differentiation. Let's face it, United Clubs don't exactly say 'premium' in any regard and it's always amazing how crowded and downright unpleasant these lounges can get. It makes sense to consolidate the actual premium features under Polaris lounge branding and to improve them significantly under that umbrella. They're basically dividing the lounge offering into the more plebeian club and the patrician Polaris. Now whether that's fair or not is a moot point..the whole industry is structured around the differentiation between 'classes' of customers. United now thinks that someone spending big bucks on a Polaris seat deserves better than your average status or club card holder. Of course, lounge feature differentiation isn't new - see LH's differentiation between First Class lounge, Senator lounge and business lounge.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Just to make sure you are not disappointed, be aware thet entry into Polaris lounge for arriving passengers is only if you arrive on United metal. No Star Alliance Gold access as an arrival lounge. And you also need to be able to physically get to the lounge, dependent on your ticket specifics.

As an example, if you arrive in Chicago (ORD) as a final destination, the lounge is not accessible at all, as it is air-side for domestic departures.
Yeah I know it accommodates arriving Polaris passengers. No *Gold expectations as that has never been the case, heck GS don't even have access unless they fit the criteria. I'm not GS, but if I was I would certainly want Polaris access.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: All the programs!
UA still advertises showers "*Available at select locations"
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...amenities.aspx

Domestically SFO arrivals lounge is the only one and it's closes at noon.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oopl

And "*Available at select locations" internationally like NRT, LHR, ...
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
And UNITED has always been known for its accuracy and honesty .......
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by oopl

Technically correct is the best kind of correct
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by jm0933
Technically correct is the best kind of correct
Which is the definition of pedantic.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
How many people complaining now about removing showers are also complaining about not enough seats to handle club members?

Since Polaris lounges will have showers, the only people who will be affected by showers being eliminated are the subset of passengers who (1) are in economy and (2) transiting with enough time to take a shower between legs or arriving at their final airport and wanting to take a shower before heading to their final destination.

I think the bean counters carefully looked at what members were using the showers and in what circumstances they were being used,and determined that the number of passengers taking showers in these circumstances who would not have Polaris access was small. International J pax have the Polaris showers. People flying on business coming in for a morning meeting generally have their employers arrange early checkins at the hotel before a morning meeting. I'm guessing United determined that most of the high value flyers the company is trying to attract and retain weren't talking advantage of the showers.

Wouldn't club experience be enhanced for the overwhelming majority of Club users by taking that shower space over and making a better "other than shower" experience for the United Club members?? And if by some chance the savings on the high cost of maintenance and operation of showers was spent toward offering a better experience for the Club members in terms of furnishings, foods, personnel, even better (yeah, I understand that this is unlikely).

In any event, I support removal of showers, if the upshot is more space in the United clubs to accommodate normal uses by me and other members who rarely take showers at clubs but are always looking for space to set down in. To quote Spock - "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" ; )
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
How many people complaining now about removing showers are also complaining about not enough seats to handle club members?

Since Polaris lounges will have showers, the only people who will be affected by showers being eliminated are the subset of passengers who (1) are in economy and (2) transiting with enough time to take a shower between legs or arriving at their final airport and wanting to take a shower before heading to their final destination.

I think the bean counters carefully looked at what members were using the showers and in what circumstances they were being used,and determined that the number of passengers taking showers in these circumstances who would not have Polaris access was small. International J pax have the Polaris showers. People flying on business coming in for a morning meeting generally have their employers arrange early checkins at the hotel before a morning meeting. I'm guessing United determined that most of the high value flyers the company is trying to attract and retain weren't talking advantage of the showers.

Wouldn't club experience be enhanced for the overwhelming majority of Club users by taking that shower space over and making a better "other than shower" experience for the United Club members?? And if by some chance the savings on the high cost of maintenance and operation of showers was spent toward offering a better experience for the Club members in terms of furnishings, foods, personnel, even better (yeah, I understand that this is unlikely).

In any event, I support removal of showers, if the upshot is more space in the United clubs to accommodate normal uses by me and other members who rarely take showers at clubs but are always looking for space to set down in. To quote Spock - "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" ; )
I had a lovely shower at the MIA Admirals Club on Tuesday. I had a long day of business activities and didn't want to fly out in paid F to my domestic destination 5+ hours away still wearing the day. Another reminder of UA's silliness and another reason I am not a UC customer except when it's gratis.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I may be in the minority - but I find the notion of showering at an airport kind of weird - and somewhat gross.

To me - it has the ewwww factor.....
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I may be in the minority - but I find the notion of showering at an airport kind of weird - and somewhat gross.

To me - it has the ewwww factor.....
Sure, not all shower spaces are equal. There have been times however when I have been so thankful to be fresh.
Xyzzy, LAXOGG, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Apr 16, 2018 at 7:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.