Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Showers removed from all domestic United Clubs (and now returning to EWR, others?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Why / When would you like to use a shower at a UA lounge / club?

Presently for UCs, only the C123 EWR UC has showers
All the Polaris lounges have showers
The SFO T2 MLL has showers

Reported the new DEN UC will have showers and showers will be introduced at hub UCs when remodeled
Print Wikipost

Showers removed from all domestic United Clubs (and now returning to EWR, others?)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It makes a huge difference to me following a red-eye.

The lack of showers at EWR will definitely make me pause before booking UA for a premium t-con red-eye.

I think this hurts UA when DL and AA are putting showers in their new domestic clubs.
Agreed. I would see club membership as good value if showers were reliably available in most hubs. On a per annum basis that would be working out to $30-$40 per shower, but they would be convenient and wouldn't significant require extra planning (figure out what third-party service at what airport, etc.).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
To me, showers is the most important feature of the clubs, you can skip the food and the alcohol.

I pretty much fly AA now over UA and AA has showers at the airports where you need them. DFW, LAX, JFK, ORD. I avoid connecting through the former US hubs.

To bad UA is closing the CO Pres Club showers. CO was a leader at that time. I used the CO showers many times in the past.

AA offers showers in both of its lounge products, so I will continue to fly AA. And as EXP (Emerald OW) I get access to First Lounges.

The AmEx lounges do not have enough showers - maybe one or two per lounge.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by desidivo
I wanted to use the showers in EWR after a long red-eye flight. I was told by the staff that they will no longer have showers after the renovation in the normal united club. They will only be on the Polaris Lounge.

Seems like they are taking away another benefit from United Club. Does anyone know if these plans are going to be at all United Clubs?
It really is a blessing to have a rinse after the long flights, connecting thru Auckland from sfo to Mel is a great shower set up, never busy, lots of towels etc

Full points to Air NZ lounge
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by cova
To me, showers is the most important feature of the clubs
+1.

After Smisek left, it would have been easy for UA to do a 180 on the policy to remove the showers. What I would have done is expand and update the Clubs (obviously keeping the showers) and ditch the Polaris lounge product.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by u600213
Terminal E, between Gates E11 and E12 - this location is temporarily closed, effective August 21 and will reopen in October
It's closed until October because that's when Polaris is opening up? Or....?

I don't think Polaris can be built out that quickly. So maybe they closed it because they are getting some of the lounge ready for Polaris? If so, that means after it re-opens in October it will likely be a smaller foot print and overcrowded just like every other lounge is becoming while they build out Polaris Lounges.

I ask because I'll be using the IAH lounge twice in October as I fly to/from Central America.

Thanks,
RM

By the way, United.com no longer shows showers available as an amenity at the Terminal E club at IAH:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

-RM

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 3, 2017 at 1:48 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Big They should have been expanding showers into PMUA lounges, not closing the ones we have. I get they want to make Polaris lounges special, but showers isn't the way to do it.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
United can choose what its product looks like. As customers we can choose where to spend money. Reducing features relative to the competition also means a diminished value proposition.

As an SFO-based elite loosing shower access at the UC in Newark is enough to move my red-eye business to JFK where both AA and DL offer lounge members clubs.
Exactly. One of the few advantages for me in using IAH as an arrival point from South America were the showers there. Now that they are gone, I guess its over to AA and an arrival through DFW.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
IMO the UCs aren't worth the money any more. I let my membership lapse a few years ago when I was able to stop flying United, but this year changing travel patterns forced me back to UA. Overall, the experience has been ok and certainly better than a few years ago. I was thinking of buying a club membership again but not now. Hawaii, trans-cons, red-eyes, *A Gold in Y...to me this is really another super cheap move on the part of UA.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by halls120
Exactly. One of the few advantages for me in using IAH as an arrival point from South America were the showers there. Now that they are gone, I guess its over to AA and an arrival through DFW.
You'll be able to use once Polaris lounge opens
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ermintrude
+1.

After Smisek left, it would have been easy for UA to do a 180 on the policy to remove the showers.
+1 on the 180 part, I hold out hope it still can be done, not necessarily at outlying clubs, but at least the hubs.

Not tons of complexity or space need to accomplish it, maybe once people totally stop using printers and fax machines... there they can turn those business center closets into showers
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Once again showing how the COUA merger managed to snatch the worst of both worlds.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Big They should have been expanding showers into PMUA lounges, not closing the ones we have. I get they want to make Polaris lounges special, but showers isn't the way to do it.
+infinity. This is a big step in the wrong direction. Showers are one of the things that make flying humane.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Big They should have been expanding showers into PMUA lounges, not closing the ones we have.
Agree completely. Showers should be an essential feature of the United Clubs at UA’s international hubs. Removing them or making them available only for the use of Polaris customers is a huge step in the wrong direction.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
PMUA Red Carpet Clubs didn't have showers except some of the international ones. With the really bad bathrooms at the Dulles and other clubs, I would have been happy with a simple bathroom upgrade like SFO.

Showers are a niche service. A lot of my friends don't see the point in showers at airports. I've used them many times over the years, especially at the old club at GRU. For domestic runs, they don't make too much sense, but for TPAC and TATL connection hubs, they do come in handy.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
You'll be able to use once Polaris lounge opens
Only for "Polaris" branded flights, which cuts out all of Central America and Northern South America. Basically only SCL, EZE, GIG, and GRU.

This is a big negative for IAH as a latin hub.

No showers, meal cutbacks, HD seating, no R space, and all during a period of record profits. Way to invest in the business UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.