Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Showers removed from all domestic United Clubs (and now returning to EWR, others?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Why / When would you like to use a shower at a UA lounge / club?

Presently for UCs, only the C123 EWR UC has showers
All the Polaris lounges have showers
The SFO T2 MLL has showers

Reported the new DEN UC will have showers and showers will be introduced at hub UCs when remodeled
Print Wikipost

Showers removed from all domestic United Clubs (and now returning to EWR, others?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cova
Flagship is still a step above Polaris as it includes First Class International. An EXP gets First Class Lounge access internationally unlike UA.

With AA's business class 4 across and Polaris still 8 across (just aisle seats angled back) AA still beats UA hands down for hard product.
No need to discuss misconceptions of the Polaris configuration here, that has been beaten to death since speculation of the seat design first emerged.

That said, I've visited most of the AA Flagship lounges, and while I thought they were generally pretty good, it seems like a bit of a stretch to suggest they are a step above what United is doing with Polaris at ORD. The consensus is that the ORD PL is the best lounge operated by a US carrier anywhere, and it's hard to disagree with that at present. EXP getting Flagship access is a nice perk, though.

One cannot forget that AA still has angled seats in J. At least if I fly United I know I'll get a (possibly substandard, but nonetheless) flat seat.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TxTraveler18
Thinking about how this impacts the Terminal E club at IAH - are they just dedicating an entire floor of that club to Polaris? Or moving it elsewhere in the airport?
UA is doing it on the cheap. Just converting Global First Lounges (which if fine) but then taking away space in Clubs at airports with no GFL -like the former CO Pres Clubs.

Problem is UA doesn't have that many second floor lounges above gate areas. AA lounges at LAX, ORD, MIA, DFW, JFK are all upstairs lounges over top gate areas which give the lounges a lot more space. But it would take reconstruction of the terminals for UA to gain space.

Of course Dubai is on the extreme with multistory terminals with entire terminal (A) the size of both the J and F lounges.

What is UA doing at the new UC at LAX? That lounge was planned before Polaris, but I thought it wasn't going to have showers anyway.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:49 pm

UA is doing it on the cheap. Just converting Global First Lounges (which if fine) but then taking away space in Clubs at airports with no GFL -like the former CO Pres Clubs.

Problem is UA doesn't have that many second floor lounges above gate areas. AA lounges at LAX, ORD, MIA, DFW, JFK are all upstairs lounges over top gate areas which give the lounges a lot more space. But it would take reconstruction of the terminals for UA to gain space.

Of course Dubai is on the extreme with multistory terminals with entire terminal (A) the size of both the J and F lounges.

What is UA doing at the new UC at LAX? That lounge was planned before Polaris, but I thought it wasn't going to have showers anyway.
Never mind facts... at ORD, the B6 club, which reopened a few months ago (one floor above concourse level) was expanded by about 2x, and the F club (also one floor above concourse level) is at least double the size of the main-level club it replaced in 2012. Also, I'm not sure how you could say anything about the Polaris lounge at ORD was done "on the cheap."

The Polaris Lounge at SFO (one floor above concourse level) reportedly will replace the entire UC in the G terminal, plus the SQ and BR lounges below it. The G concourse GFL will become a United Club, as will a conference space across the hall (not currently occupied by UA), so as to minimize the loss of UC square footage.

The LAX UC (one floor above concourse level) is part of an all-new structure, so it's substantially larger than the two United Clubs it replaces, and apparently the forthcoming Polaris Lounge (one floor above concourse level) will occupy the former GFL space, plus the rotunda and current office space.

Rumors are that the current EWR C-1 United Club (one floor above concourse level) will be renovated and stay a UC. The C-3 club on the main level will be expanded and converted into a Polaris Lounge, and a new club is allegedly to be added at the end of the C-3 concourse in a vacant space one floor above concourse level.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
Never mind facts... at ORD, the B6 club, which reopened a few months ago (one floor above concourse level) was expanded by about 2x,
It was? Are you referring to total floor space, or number of seats available? I can see where there may be a lot more seats as they took out many of the bulky, comfortable seats and replaced with small tables and the smaller chairs that go along with them. But the floor space doesn't seem twice as big. It has a more open feel though. How are you measuring this?

Other than that point, I would generally agree with your comments...
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I think Polaris has more J seats now than what CO had in its latest BF product of 2x2x2.
Hard to say since they haven't been implemented on the same plane, but likely not.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
It was? Are you referring to total floor space, or number of seats available? I can see where there may be a lot more seats as they took out many of the bulky, comfortable seats and replaced with small tables and the smaller chairs that go along with them. But the floor space doesn't seem twice as big. It has a more open feel though. How are you measuring this?

Other than that point, I would generally agree with your comments...
That's why I said "about" 2x. I've heard on several occasions agents commenting that the B6 club was "doubled" in size, and the layout now is certainly more conducive to maximizing seating areas. Consider the entire landing area at the top of the escalators, which were previously service desks and now almost entirely devoted to seating, and the former bar/seating area which is now almost all high-top/low tables and a service area. The entire bar/seating area behind the buffet is quite large and, I believe, all new.

The B6 club might not be precisely 100% larger, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say it is at least between 50% and 100% bigger than before, with a more useful layout and more spacious feel.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
That's why I said "about" 2x. I've heard on several occasions agents commenting that the B6 club was "doubled" in size, and the layout now is certainly more conducive to maximizing seating areas. Consider the entire landing area at the top of the escalators, which were previously service desks and now almost entirely devoted to seating, and the former bar/seating area which is now almost all high-top/low tables and a service area. The entire bar/seating area behind the buffet is quite large and, I believe, all new.

The B6 club might not be precisely 100% larger, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say it is at least between 50% and 100% bigger than before, with a more useful layout and more spacious feel.
I'll have to pay more attention next time. Without giving it too much thought, I would have said it was maybe 20% more floor/seating space.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I'll have to pay more attention next time. Without giving it too much thought, I would have said it was maybe 20% more floor/seating space.
Perhaps it's somewhere in the middle... but I think 20% is probably a little low! Either way, it's no doubt a welcome improvement in the functionality and aesthetics of the lounge...
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: United 1K
From what I've been told at IAH is that the Polaris lounge in E will be the converted current E lounge's third floor (after you go up the escalator and then stairs). This floor already is the location of the current lounge showers. A fairly convenient conversion.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
That said, I've visited most of the AA Flagship lounges, and while I thought they were generally pretty good, it seems like a bit of a stretch to suggest they are a step above what United is doing with Polaris at ORD. The consensus is that the ORD PL is the best lounge operated by a US carrier anywhere, and it's hard to disagree with that at present. EXP getting Flagship access is a nice perk, though.
AA is in the process of remodling all of their Flagship Lounges. Including putting one in DFW and PHL, as well as relocating the one at ORD.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
AA is in the process of remodling all of their Flagship Lounges. Including putting one in DFW and PHL, as well as relocating the one at ORD.
I am interested to see what they do, I am hopeful the Polaris Lounge concept will lead to a new arms race among UA/DL/AA in terms of one-upping each other's premium lounge products.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
How much extra would you pay?
Me: Easily $50 extra a year on membership/Chase UC card fees

Or, $20 usage fee if they are nice (10 if bad)..

Exception to the above is UC in LHR.. AMAZING showers accessible by *G/UC members
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:26 pm

Perhaps it's somewhere in the middle... but I think 20% is probably a little low! Either way, it's no doubt a welcome improvement in the functionality and aesthetics of the lounge...
20% isn't that far off. Exact amount was an increase of 34% total square footage. Old B6 club was 13,000 sq ft and new club is 17,435 sq ft. However, the new club along with the expanded restrooms ate up more space than the old club. Seating space only increased by about 18%. As for amount of seats though, that increase was from was 206 to 374 (81% or as mentioned "about double" being correct on seating). As mentioned previously, mainly due to a better flow and not as bulky furniture being used.

As for showers, it wouldn't surprise me if they are removed from the standard clubs. Jimmy Samartzis indicated back in October that airline clubs typically don't have showers thus was the reason they didn't add one in the renovated B6 club. I tend to disagree with that statement but my guess is indicative to us not seeing showers in the standard clubs going forward.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by dank0014
20% isn't that far off. Exact amount was an increase of 34% total square footage. Old B6 club was 13,000 sq ft and new club is 17,435 sq ft. However, the new club along with the expanded restrooms ate up more space than the old club. Seating space only increased by about 18%. As for amount of seats though, that increase was from was 206 to 374 (81% or as mentioned "about double" being correct on seating). As mentioned previously, mainly due to a better flow and not as bulky furniture being used.

As for showers, it wouldn't surprise me if they are removed from the standard clubs. Jimmy Samartzis indicated back in October that airline clubs typically don't have showers thus was the reason they didn't add one in the renovated B6 club. I tend to disagree with that statement but my guess is indicative to us not seeing showers in the standard clubs going forward.
I was never a big fan of the furniture at the last round of RCC renovations pre-merger. Not very comfortable, IMO, and had a rather institutional feel.

I've been through B6 a number of times since the renovation, plus dozens of times before it, and I really felt like it was substantially larger than the numbers bear out, which I suppose is a testament to the better design and flow of the new facility. I think United did a nice job here.

I agree w/r/t showers, I think the writing is on the wall at the United Clubs going forward (in other words, existing UC showers won't be replaced).
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This has been discussed in various other threads.
Yep, including by myself but much has been speculation and also good posts on this subject are lost in other threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.