FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Showers removed from all domestic United Clubs (and now returning to EWR, others?)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:47 pm
anc-ord772

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
How many people complaining now about removing showers are also complaining about not enough seats to handle club members?

Since Polaris lounges will have showers, the only people who will be affected by showers being eliminated are the subset of passengers who (1) are in economy and (2) transiting with enough time to take a shower between legs or arriving at their final airport and wanting to take a shower before heading to their final destination.

I think the bean counters carefully looked at what members were using the showers and in what circumstances they were being used,and determined that the number of passengers taking showers in these circumstances who would not have Polaris access was small. International J pax have the Polaris showers. People flying on business coming in for a morning meeting generally have their employers arrange early checkins at the hotel before a morning meeting. I'm guessing United determined that most of the high value flyers the company is trying to attract and retain weren't talking advantage of the showers.

Wouldn't club experience be enhanced for the overwhelming majority of Club users by taking that shower space over and making a better "other than shower" experience for the United Club members?? And if by some chance the savings on the high cost of maintenance and operation of showers was spent toward offering a better experience for the Club members in terms of furnishings, foods, personnel, even better (yeah, I understand that this is unlikely).

In any event, I support removal of showers, if the upshot is more space in the United clubs to accommodate normal uses by me and other members who rarely take showers at clubs but are always looking for space to set down in. To quote Spock - "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" ; )
I had a lovely shower at the MIA Admirals Club on Tuesday. I had a long day of business activities and didn't want to fly out in paid F to my domestic destination 5+ hours away still wearing the day. Another reminder of UA's silliness and another reason I am not a UC customer except when it's gratis.