Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by fairviewroad

A relative of mine is at a Latin American city (not posting specifics for privacy reasons). She is scheduled to fly to Canada via IAH tomorrow. United offers once-daily service from that location to IAH, and does not offer service to any other city. The only other airline with non-stops to the US is American, with a daily flight to DFW.
This is the critical weakness of UA's inherited Latin American network (but at least they have one). I too am scheduled to return to the US (on Fri, so still a remote chance for me) for the holiday weekend via IAH. It's not clear that I have any viable alternatives (on UA or otherwise), so it may be a simple matter of staying in place down here for however long it takes UA operations to recover sufficiently to head down and haul stranded folk back.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wrp96
For somewhere in Latin America, look to see if there are rerouting options on Copa or Air Canada. You might have better luck getting her rerouted onto those other carriers, rather than AA.
I got Copa.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Anyone have luck getting overnight accommodations as a 1K (unpublished YMMV benefit)? Did you have to show up at the airport or can 1K desk help with this?

Update: Got a YMMV answer from the 1K line but the phone agent was optimistic provided I got to the airport to re-book my flight.

Last edited by scracer14; Aug 28, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by N104UA
Does anyone know how many planes UA has on the ground in IAH? I would assume they tried to move many out prior to the storm but I know not all of them. It will be interesting to see what damage has occured
I'd be surprised if there was any damage to the planes. The hurricane did not come ashore in our area, it was farther south. All the Houston area has had is some strong windows and the 36+" of rain since Saturday. The only way I can see any damage is if any of the baby tornadoes we had Saturday/Sunday ran over the airport and none of the local news agencies reported that.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by wrp96
For somewhere in Latin America, look to see if there are rerouting options on Copa or Air Canada. You might have better luck getting her rerouted onto those other carriers, rather than AA.
The only other "network" airline that serves her current destination is AeroMexico. There are also several Mexican discount carriers. I don't really see any of them as being a viable option. But who knows, in a few days maybe those will be on the table as well.

Right now she is perfectly happy to spend two extra days in Latin America. Beyond that, well....
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:45 pm

Today's recovery flight from IAH is pretty crazy (esp the upgrade list):
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Wow!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Joe Kaiser
I'm not an expert on their rules. The problem they were having is that my re-route through ORD resulted in a stopover (it was the only way I could make it work as there is only one flight from ORD to the final destination daily). So, I am staying overnight in Chicago tonight and going out tomorrow morning from ORD. I can understand under normal circumstances someone would think I am purposefully doing this to get a night in Chicago, etc...
A forced overnight (when connecting flight is not available until more than 4 hours after arrival) is not a stopover. I think the agent(s) were misinformed but glad you got sorted out.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
A forced overnight (when connecting flight is not available until more than 4 hours after arrival) is not a stopover. I think the agent(s) were misinformed but glad you got sorted out.
While I agree with this, I actually did some searches when Joe Kaiser posted originally, and I wasn't able to get an overnight domestic flight to price without a fare break (using ITA). I wonder if the rule has changed.

I was able to SDC to an overnight connection earlier this year with no problems, though, so maybe it was just an uninformed agent.

Anyway, in IRROPS, all sorts of things become possible that you couldn't normally do. The scenario described seems like it should be a no-brainer under any kind of IRROPS.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While the closure notice has been out for a couple hours, UA has released the following
United Airlines Provides Updated Information on the Impact of Hurricane Harvey
Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport will remain closed until Thursday, August 31

HOUSTON, Aug. 28, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Due to severe weather and unsafe road conditions near the airport, United Airlines is closing its hub at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and suspending all operations from IAH until at least Thursday, August 31 at noon CT. The airline is also extending its weather waiver for customers to offer additional flexibility.

United is continuing to monitor the weather and conditions in Texas, and will make updates and announcements on its Twitter handle @United and on united.com.

Options for Customers

United is offering a travel waiver for customers ticketed on flights to, from or through impacted cities from Aug. 25 through Sept. 5, 2017. Customers may reschedule their itineraries for travel through September 20 with a one-time date or time change, and the airline will waive the change fees and any difference in fare for flights booked in the same cabin and same arrival/destination airports. The waiver is in place for the following airports:
• Alexandria, LA (AEX)
• Austin, TX (AUS)
• Baton Rouge, LA (BTR)
• Brownsville, TX, US (BRO)
• College Station, TX, US (CLL)
• Corpus Christi, TX (CRP)
• Harlingen, TX (HRL)
• Houston, TX (IAH)
• Lafayette, LA (LFT)
• Lake Charles, LA (LCH)
• Laredo, TX (LRD)
• McAllen, TX (MFE)
• New Orleans, LA (MSY)
• San Antonio, TX (SAT)
• Shreveport, LA (SHV)

Customers may check flight status and change travel plans quickly and conveniently via the United app, and on united.com. Visit the United Hub for step-by-step information on rebooking. Customers can expect longer than usual wait times for calls made to reservations. The airline encourages customers who do not have immediate travel plans to call at a later date.

Relief Efforts

As previously announced, United is teaming up with leading disaster relief organizations to provide needed aid to Texas communities impacted by Hurricane Harvey. The airline will provide up to three million bonus miles to customers who contribute to designated relief organizations through the airline's crowdrise page. United is also matching the first $100,000 donations.

In addition, the airline operated three widebody flights into Houston (IAH), between Sunday, August 27, and Monday August 28, to bring in critical relief supplies, and more than 100 employees to help with recovery.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
That upgrade list is up to 200 even now - and only 49 on the standby list - so even if it were all non-revs, that's 151 "legitimate" premiers on that plane waiting for an upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
That upgrade list is up to 200 even now - and only 49 on the standby list - so even if it were all non-revs, that's 151 "legitimate" premiers on that plane waiting for an upgrade.
Might be imprudent to make normal assumptions about flights like this in these circumstances.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Data point: United agreed to cancel itinerary and issue full refund.

Saturday, Sept. 2, SFO-IAH-GUA in business class, one-way. These flights are not yet cancelled, but that seems likely. I called the Premier line; agent answered after about 20 minutes. First he checked to see if there was any way he could re-route around Houston. He wasn't seeing any reasonable alternative, so I asked if we could just cancel the itin and get a refund. He put me on hold, I assume to get approval from a supervisor.

When he came back, he said yes, he could cancel, and then I can get a full refund at united.com/refunds (I assume he wrote something on the record). He said to be sure to include the explanation at the bottom of the refunds page that this was due to Hurricane Harvey.

I hope this is helpful to others, and I thank others for their data points, which were very useful to me. I just booked a replacement itin on Avianca.

So sorry to see what you're going through, Houston.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
So are flights going in/out of IAH? I have a flight in/out on the 1st?
Till end of week i don't see how any commercial traffic going to fly in/out.

Right now they expecting water levels to keep rising till Thursday. People can't get to/From airport now.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
These look to be all employees being flown positive space to either work other flights or escape the storm. That's why you see so many eligible for upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.